Hi everyone,

I have just recently moved to Sydney (Potts Point to be precise) and I need your help on the following:

• My story: I am 31 that wants to start practicing triathlon. I am an average runner, I did some half marathons and marathons, but that's it. In terms of cycling I know just the basic. In terms of Swimming, that's definitely where I will struggle, I know how to swim, but... just, well, you understand.
  • My short term goal: Be able to complete a small triathlon in 2013 and/or to improve my (lack of) skills in swim and cycle.
  • My medium term goal: Half-Iron Man
  • My long term goal: in 3 years time, to be able to complete the Iron Man.
  • My schedule preference: I work mon-fri 8am to 5pm. I am available from then onwards.
  • My problem: To find the most appropriate club near Potts Point or in Sydney that can help me to achieve these objectives.

Yes, I know that it will be almost impossible and it will require lots of work. But I am committed and I just need a very good starting point. I have been searching on the internet and there are several websites with a list of all the triathlon clubs in Sydney. However I just need your honest opinion and experience on those clubs, since I have just recently moved to Sydney and I need some guidance.

Thank you for your time! Manuel

Edited by ManuelAlexandre1982

While I love my club and think its the best in all of Sydney.... because of your location, I would probably look at BRATS or Eastern Suburbs Tri Club and consider a training group like BondiFit

Edited by Quack

Being based out of Canberra, I cannot help with the Clubs.

But, Looking at the goals, I would suggest that they are achievable. (It is about the same timeframe as I went through, except I was working longer hours)

Get into the BRAT club. Very friendly bunch and very beginner friendly with club races every month and lots of options for riding a running groups. I would recommend the Bondi Fit ocean swims they are the best.

Hey Mate. Good question...

We were once sponsored by Cell. For several good reasons, we moved bike shop sponsors some time ago (to Velofix - who are awesome for us) and we changed gear suppliers too.

Out of the blue, Cell have decided to offer the remaining very old (and very limited range) stock for sale to public :) We don't mind - it's no drama.

I was as surprised as you.

Highly recommend STG (Sydney Triathlon Group) - I trained with them when I was in Sydney at the same experience as yourself and they were great. Shaun the head coach is an awesome and knowledgeable bloke. They do most their training in Centennial park and in the city. Let me know if you need more details.

Hye,

I'm for the BRAT so if I tell you to go to the brat I would be captain obvious :)

But I tried also Bondi Fit and I think that they are really good for beginner up to half IM. And especially for the swim ( both in the pool and in the ocean).

I tried also PB3 for the swim and it was pretty good and they seem quite well organised for the riding too so I would also recommend them.

One thing to keep in mind in the money you want to spend. STG or Bondi fit will be quite pricey for instance.

cheers

BRAT's have circa 11 club sessions a week for members. There are a number of affliated coaches also who run private sessions.

Danny Moore is the best for beginers, he has a great squad is closely linked to the club. Once you get better you can stay with him or move to John Hill or Spark's Elite.

Disclaimer: I am a BRAT committee member

So that's how your paying for the 5 star digs at Vegas worlds

BRAT's have circa 11 club sessions a week for members. There are a number of affliated coaches also who run private sessions.

Danny Moore is the best for beginers, he has a great squad is closely linked to the club. Once you get better you can stay with him or move to John Hill or Spark's Elite.

Disclaimer: I am a BRAT committee member

Yep, great club. Caters to all levels. I would avoid Bondi unless you like to be screamed at.