To get to race start

Either hire a car and allow 3-4 hrs from cbd or

Take a train. That could be 3-4 hours if you can get the tourist friendly Myki system to operate

Ride - hey there might be a hell ride that you could jump on

I live 15km south of Frankston and I can get into the city in less than an hour, pretty much any time of day. Allow an hour to be on the safe side.

I live 15km south of Frankston and I can get into the city in less than an hour, pretty much any time of day. Allow an hour to be on the safe side.

eh eh eh....

Sorry, coming from a regional town, it's so funny to hear 15km and less than an hour in the one sentence! Just makes me snigger. That's what it takes me to get from city limit to city limit :). And we bitch and moan when we have to drive that far ;)

You do realise you are coming to Melbourne and not some third world backwater? If coming from the airport, a taxi to St Kilda will cost around $80 depending on time of day/traffic. Even with bike bag/box - Skybus into Southern Cross station will be your best bet. Takes around 30mins in peak hour and costs less than $10. There is a big cab rank at the station, cab to St Kilda will then cost about $20. You can take a train from the station down to Frankston from there too...just hide your wallet and put on your stab vest.

If hiring a car from the airport, jump on the freeway and head into town. Take the exit at Power Street for St Kilda; or go thru the tunnels and follow the signs to Frankston if heading down there. It isn't the easiest to navigate (even for locals) - but by far the best way to go.

do they allow bikes on the train???

Yes, nearest train station from St Kilda road though is a bit away, so be ready to ride your bike to the station depending on which part of St Kilda you are staying in. You are allowed on during peak hour, however you may struggle to get on the train and will be thought of lower than a perpetual methane producer by the regular commuters, so avoid the peak times after 4.30 if going on the Friday. There is no peak hour on the weekends other than right after the final siren at the footy.

Have a back up plan as well though if going with public transport, the train operators chose the weekend of IM last year to do maintenance on the Frankston line, all trains were replaced with buses and they don't take bikes on the buses. Some person named Murphy states it's possible the operators could do the same this year, Metro should have notices on their website by Thursday night though if they are doing planned maintenance. Unplanned maintenance (or police situations due to careless person / s walking or driving in front of a train) will also have the same effect, but without the notice on the website (or buses going on previous performance in this regard)

Not sure if it has been mentioned but 'Run for the Kids' is on the same day as IMM though hopefully most of road closures are after everyone is at transition anyway.

http://www.runforthekids.com.au/r4k/therace05.asp

Wonder who ballsed up and let that happen? They usually close the tunnels Sat evening, so don't anyone count on being able to head toward the city on the monash

Trying to figure out the logistics for the Sunday for the two of us from our household is proving to be difficult.

We will drive to the Frankston start, which is closer to home, but have no way of getting back to Frankston, so at this stage it looks like we might have to leave a car in St Kilda on Saturday.

Anyone have any idea of where a car can be left for the 24 hours where it is not too far from the finish (not that I really care how far away it is, it's not as though I'll be the first to finish and have to get the car)?

I'll drive you back. ;)

I'll drive you back. ;)

Are you really prepared to listen to me at 1.00am for the entire trip back to the "jewel by the sea (franga)" boasting about how awesome I was to finish in less than 17 hours.... umm... that is assuming I finish?

Don't worry about the soigneur, he can ride home so that he can be there waiting with the white gloves on.

• Like 1

Are you really prepared to listen to me at 1.00am for the entire trip back to the "jewel by the sea (franga)" boasting about how awesome I was to finish in less than 17 hours.... umm... that is assuming I finish?

Don't worry about the soigneur, he can ride home so that he can be there waiting with the white gloves on.

Yes I am.

An no I won't, however I thought they were rubber gloves........

Last year I drove past some who were riding/ambling. It's about 40km. Not advocating, but an option.

It's a pretty easy ride along the run course, not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning before the race. I would suggest using the train outside of peak hour, should be fine.

flights are organised, training' is nearly done- now how do I get myself from Tullarmarine to Elwood with my bike box? is it worth a hire car for the weekend? any ideas appreciated.

Stash the bike box behind a tree and ride :)

Not sure if it has been mentioned but 'Run for the Kids' is on the same day as IMM though hopefully most of road closures are after everyone is at transition anyway.

http://www.runforthe...k/therace05.asp

I love this quote:

NOTE: Participants from SOUTH EASTERN AND EASTERN SUBURBS should also be aware that an Ironman event is also taking place on the same day in Frankston, which will see major road closures including outbound lanes of Eastlink.

Bold bits are mine. However big we think Ironman is, this is an event with 35,000 participants compared with, what, 2000? So, instead of "IRONMAN MELBOURNE" (how we see it), it's an Ironman event in Frankston.

I love this quote:

Bold bits are mine. However big we think Ironman is, it's an Ironman event in Frankston.

Yep

Great quote downsey

That's all it is

Cheers

Ip

Even with bike bag/box - Skybus into Southern Cross station will be your best bet. Takes around 30mins in peak hour and costs less than $10. There is a big cab rank at the station, cab to St Kilda will then cost about $20.

Skybus is $17 one way or $28 return, otherwise this info is spot on.

We stayed in St Kilda on the way back from Busso.

No issues getting the bike bag on with Skybus.

We got myki cards and took the tram down to St Kilda.

Had to skip the first one, but no real problems with the 2nd less full tram a couple of minutes later.

On the way back, we did Taxi to Southern Cross, then Skybus to the airport.

Again, all smooth.

:lol: ip

You are really starting to run out of material

Mate you could never run out of material about IM frankston !!!!!

Funny enough I'm not the one stirring things up about the fantastic event of IM frankston ( I'm just adding a few tidbits)

There is plenty of other smart people with similar thoughts to mine

I hope everyone including you has a great day and get everything they what out of there IM experience :-)

Cheers

Ip

Bloody hell IP - I can give you the address of a good shrink - you must have been severley traumatised last year! I'd hate to think what you'd do if things get complex in life! Yes it is a bit of effort getting around but jeez - its not like organising a moon landing!

Bloody hell IP - I can give you the address of a good shrink - you must have been severley traumatised last year! I'd hate to think what you'd do if things get complex in life! Yes it is a bit of effort getting around but jeez - its not like organising a moon landing!

Haha, would have loved to see IPs follow if he did IMNY. He would be definitely be institutionalised. :)

Haha, would have loved to see IPs follow if he did IMNY. He would be definitely be institutionalised. :)

Come on GSP you know I've only just been let out on day release

Don't let everyone know LOL

Cheers

Ip

I made the mistake of driving down to frankston last year...took me bugger all time until I hit the traffic jam at the end of the freeway. Getting out of frankston was even worse. I drive about 50km out of my way (east) and then hooked back toward the bay. Wouldn't recommend driving into frankston if you can avoid it

I've now got a car for the weekend. - how long did it take to drive from st kilda to frankston race morning last year? Or any guess how long this year? I've looked at the road closures got this and the run but font really know what it means for travel time??

Took the bus down from St Kilda last year, worked a treat with no issues, no worrying about where to park and how to get the car the next day. I must have waited all of 2 mins to get on and then it was away with another bus waiting behind for the next load. I might even have got an extra 15 mins sleep on the way down :)

I made the mistake of driving down to frankston last year...took me bugger all time until I hit the traffic jam at the end of the freeway. Getting out of frankston was even worse. I drive about 50km out of my way (east) and then hooked back toward the bay. Wouldn't recommend driving into frankston if you can avoid it

The jam at the end of the freeway is greatly reduced since the opening of Peninsula Link. There is generally little back up at the end of the freeway now and you might have to wait 2 sets of light changes

• Like 1

Last year wasn't there also some kind of market on in Frankston - so some extra closures/traffic?

I drove down, got caught up in kind of one-way traffic detours, but in the end wasn't too bad. My partner was with me, so could of at worst gotten on the bike for a couple of kms.

Mate you could never run out of material about IM frankston !!!!!

Funny enough I'm not the one stirring things up about the fantastic event of IM frankston ( I'm just adding a few tidbits)

There is plenty of other smart people with similar thoughts to mine

I hope everyone including you has a great day and get everything they what out of there IM experience :-)

Cheers

Ip

:smartarse::smartarse: Bike collection will be in "The Pines estate" or Cash Converters the next day, (Frankston locals joke) :smile1::smile1::smile1:

• Like 2