The Politics Thread

While you are at it, please explain how the Government could appoint Tim Wilson to a eye watering $325K taxpayer funded job on a body he has said should be abolished. Also how, in good conscience could Wilson accept such a gig ...

I suppose that if "freedom" means the unfettered right to bring the colour of a persons skin into an argument about whether advocates for certain minorities are acting out of self interest (please explain the link between the human condition of self interest and skin colour please), then Wilson was right - abolish the Commission outright. Actually, if that is what freedom means we should just abolish government all together and go back to our caves and sharpen our spears just in case "they" come into our hunting and gathering grounds ...

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 1
  • Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew #1

• Formerly known as BOTP II

• goughy

• IronJimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I typed something long but couldn’t be fucked. Yeah, I just think your head is so far up the “left bad” , “right good” black hole that you are incapable of any sort of meaningful discourse.   

Does it matter what the Gillard government thought? I'm not going to tell you how to debate your topics IJ, but you seem to be fixated on the politics rather than the problem. Sometimes things ha

Ironic that he waited till he was no longer a  politician to start being dignified and respectful. must be using that speech as a job interview 

Posted Images

Andrew, this is a waste of both of our time (and I'm busy leading up to Christmas) as the only people left looking at this thread are the bitter, defeated lefties having a whinge like yourself and BB and those of us on the winning side who should know better. There is no need for us to counteract your scurrilous lies and misinformation because...nobody's listening to you.

While you are at it, please explain how the Government could appoint Tim Wilson to a eye watering $325K taxpayer funded job on a body he has said should be abolished. Also how, in good conscience could Wilson accept such a gig ...

Probably used the same justification the ALP have used for giving an out and proud republican the roles of Governor of Queensland and Governor-General of Australia over the last ten years and I guess Wilson accepted in the same conscience that Quentin Bryce did.

Bye bye. Let's meet back here in 2016 shall we?

Hey Smiffy, I see your little princess has got herself appointed to the Submarine Corporation. Much submariner action in Indi? Experience learnt from hanging around Oxygenarian Monarchists at Melbourne University?

The 'merit' (you tories are so big on 'merit') is? Please explain (500 words or less should suffice)

"She's a very capable person. I think she's eminently employable,'' Mr Abbott said.

"But we don't have any plans to employ any former members of parliament."

Andrew, this is a waste of both of our time (and I'm busy leading up to Christmas) as the only people left looking at this thread are the bitter, defeated lefties having a whinge like yourself and BB and those of us on the winning side who should know better. There is no need for us to counteract your scurrilous lies and misinformation because...nobody's listening to you.

Probably used the same justification the ALP have used for giving an out and proud republican the roles of Governor of Queensland and Governor-General of Australia over the last ten years and I guess Wilson accepted in the same conscience that Quentin Bryce did.

I'm hoping to goad Abbott into a double dissolution meltdown in 2014. Wont happen, but ...

If the last 3 years has taught us anything it is that the campaign for the next election starts now.

If I'm a bitter loser, are you a happy winner? I'd be pretty embarrassed by this government if I were a liberal ...

• Like 1

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-18/glenn-stevens-appears-before-economics-committee/5163566?section=act

The Governor seems to changed his tune about getting a top up payment from the government in the past 8 months. Curious.

Interestingly is not not at all keen on slash and burn cuts in the short term. ...

Glad to give you a laugh BOTP. But outside your glass bubble the world economy is still stuffed and after the Chinese stimulus petters out, even our mining sector isn't looking as rosy as once was. These things have a direct impact on the projected government receipts - you know - the ones Howard pinned everything on when he spent big on houso handouts to rich folk and promised to cut 30 billion from income tax. Being honest about that - I.e. Changed world conditions has lead to a contraction in real terms of receipts (down to 22% of GDP now) would give Hockey an honest base to engage with the Australian public about the pain to come. Abbott and Hockey have been strutting about the place saying that want to be a reforming government in the Hawke-Keating mould. A good start would be for Hockey to a take a lead out of Keating's book and talk up to the electorate about economic matters, not treat them like mugs like he is currently doing. Of course he doesn't have the wit or wisdom for that ...

I agree with taking a keating like approach.

I wouldn't put my house on libs getting it right.

But labor was a disaster. So heres hoping.

Politically labor was a disaster, no doubt. Burnt all their matches in Krystal Nacht in June 2010. As a Government 207 to 2013 History will judge them a lot better than you are giving them credit for. Made the right calls on the big issues when they arose, IMO.

I'm not a leftist and don't normally vote Labour

LOL @ the people in this thread.

100 days isnt long enough to decide on what colour Margie wants to change the curtain colour to in the lodge, let alone make any meaningful changes to the country.

If the TA government is not doing anything by the time the next election comes around, I will be the first to call for his head.

Anyone got Boofhead Barry O'Farrells phone number?

That one liberal government I wont be sad to see go!

julia, swan et al robbed of us our best chance at great leadership in fifty years. Kevin is a story of promise unfilled and opportunity denied by jealous power hungry usurpers.

That opportunity was for us the people of Australia to have a genuinely great country and leader and it was blown for us by Conroy, Combet and the rest.

Is an election term 3yrs in Oz (I can't remember). Seems like too short a time really. A new Gov comes in, blames the previous Gov for all and sundry for 12-14mths then starts focussing on getting re-electing or having inter party squabbles. When does the actual work get done in a 3yr term?

6 % increase in health insurance snuck in to the Xmas stocking

Two card trick. Much handwringing about 'hard working Australian (millionaire) families' will lead to the abolition of the private health care rebate in the May budget. This from the mob that have finally discovered the structural deficit that Howard embedded in the national accounts and who have done their best to block every move Labor made to rectify that ... Oh well - they can always slash good programs and support to. Those who actually need it. It's in their DNA after all...

• Like 1

Two card trick. Much handwringing about 'hard working Australian (millionaire) families' will lead to the abolition of the private health care rebate in the May budget. This from the mob that have finally discovered the structural deficit that Howard embedded in the national accounts and who have done their best to block every move Labor made to rectify that ... Oh well - they can always slash good programs and support to. Those who actually need it. It's in their DNA after all...

This seems to be the bit the libs and the transitions lib supporters seem to miss, the current budget position is mainly due to Howard's structural deficit. Rudd was handed a GFC straight away and navigated that but we do have to pay it back at some point.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/comment-and-analysis/blame-for-budget-woe-widely-shared-20131222-2zt0r.html

The interesting thing is that we can actually afford to keep all of the Howard & Labor tax cuts IF we (i) broaden the tax base - the mining tax and carbon prices were both excellent for this, (ii) cut out welfare for rich people and (essential) (iii) cut the $180 billion in annual tax concessions by 25%. There would actually be money left over, after balancing the budget, to fund more infrastructure, the NDIS and better education and skills training. It should be viewed as a grand bargain - rich people get lower rates of tax - but no hand outs or tax rorts on the side & the government has sufficient funds to do what needs to be done ... Not likely under the current lot. Would need a Keating to do that ...

• 3 weeks later...

My brother in law works for himself. Tradie. Employs 2 guys. Regularly subjected to stand over by champions of the working class, trying to get him off sites. This has ramped up since various "reforms" have been passed

Earns a fraction of what anyone on the hsu.executive would be pulling in.

He is such an a-hole that one of his employees recently drove him around for 6 months when he had a bad health scare. He worked through it. No choice had bills and.wages to pay.

Should he vote liberal or labor ?

I see light being shone on the champs.

Happy one year anniversary everyone!!!

It been one year today since this thread started.

"Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

So we get to vote Kev back in on September 14. Anyone know where I can get a Kevin13 T.Shirt?"

• 2 weeks later...

Too close to call was the official line.

Libs ahead on Primary only to lose on preferences most likely.

Yep. Glasson's personal following was worth 10% I reckon and KRudd's was still worth around 5% in the end. Looks like the final swing will be less than 1% to the LNP, which when u take out both the Rudd and Glasson factors would indicate and underlying 3-5% trend back to Labor - in line with national polls and historical trends. Of course, it's early days in the political cycle. Were I a betting man AND I fancied a series of long range bets I reckon $100 on the LNP winning the next election would be worth it, as would another $100 on them winning the one after that. A hundred on them winning 3 terms should give a good return ... Edited by Andrew #1

hmm government appears to have a policy of get rid of jobs, they don't discriminate fruit guys, car guys now ICT guys, I too can join the list of those whose only job prospects will be waiting tables, digging holes as these will be so marginal we will all resort to giving $20 handjobs in carparks to accountants and lawyers who are the only ones who will be left.

hmm government appears to have a policy of get rid of jobs, they don't discriminate fruit guys, car guys now ICT guys, I too can join the list of those whose only job prospects will be waiting tables, digging holes as these will be so marginal we will all resort to giving $20 handjobs in carparks to accountants and lawyers who are the only ones who will be left.

Not to mention people smugglers. Killed their business too.

I can genuinely answer no to both of those!

In the Abott model you are either a captain of industry making obscene profits Comm Bank, a C level executive or ex C level exec ala Ziggy Sitowski who have a long track record of abject failure but get zillions of dollars. Part of their machine ie consultancies, acoounts etc

Or your out with the great unwashed masses working for minimum wage with no conditions and supplementing you meagre with wage with car park hand jobs for the many sexually repressed members of Abott's ruling elite

In the Abott model you are either a captain of industry making obscene profits Comm Bank

Who the **** privatised the Commbank?

Oh yeah your dickhead mates from the left!

Give it a rest Barry. Stop posting while your drunk.

We know you bleed Labor, but seriously, its getting old.

Even Andrew has given it a rest lately.

Come back at the end of Abbotts first term and talk about any failures then.

5 months is hardly enough time to decide what colour the new curtains are going to be, let alone fix Rudds/Gillards/Rudds **** ups.

Who the **** privatised the Commbank?

Oh yeah your dickhead mates from the left!

Give it a rest Barry. Stop posting while your drunk.

We know you bleed Labor, but seriously, its getting old.

Even Andrew has given it a rest lately.

Come back at the end of Abbotts first term and talk about any failures then.

5 months is hardly enough time to decide what colour the new curtains are going to be, let alone fix Rudds/Gillards/Rudds **** ups.

I was not drunk, don't bleed labour, was having a bit of a laugh about what we will all do when there is bugger all industry. Anyhow thanks for the abuse`

Interesting the Chinese have a military exercise close to where the Australian Navy is "stopping the boats", Indonesia gave them permission to traverse their waters and nobody told the Australian Government it was happening.

Anyone a bit surprised this incident got so little press here...? Seems to me like the biggest and most obvious slap in the face the Indonesians have sent Australia's way and it almost doesn't make the news at all... I would have thought the implications of this were actually pretty serious.

Interesting the Chinese have a military exercise close to where the Australian Navy is "stopping the boats", Indonesia gave them permission to traverse their waters and nobody told the Australian Government it was happening.

Anyone a bit surprised this incident got so little press here...? Seems to me like the biggest and most obvious slap in the face the Indonesians have sent Australia's way and it almost doesn't make the news at all... I would have thought the implications of this were actually pretty serious.

I think I mentioned this typed of thing as a possible scenario several pages ago. The LNP and their cheer squad would do well to keep that in mind, if they think our $1billion in aid to Indonesia will keep the indos in check long term. The Chinese could afford to give them ten times that in return for say a PLAN base on the South coast of Java

• roxii changed the title to The Politics Thread