The Politics Thread

QLD Gov't has updated its debt numbers - currently at $102,000,000,000 and looking to draw down more.  Not sure what interest rate they're paying but historically it's been above mortgage rates.  Assuming 4% then the DAILY interest bill is $11M.  Currently we have 8.5% unemployed and growing and extremely limited tourism.  LNG prices are in the toilet and coal has come off so royalties must be taking a hit.  Keen to understand the way out of this?

• Replies 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew #1

• Formerly known as BOTP II

• goughy

• IronJimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I typed something long but couldn’t be fucked. Yeah, I just think your head is so far up the “left bad” , “right good” black hole that you are incapable of any sort of meaningful discourse.   

Does it matter what the Gillard government thought? I'm not going to tell you how to debate your topics IJ, but you seem to be fixated on the politics rather than the problem. Sometimes things ha

Thank God Tony axed that Carbon Tax. My electricity prices have been dropping ever since that visionary move.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, truck said:

QLD Gov't has updated its debt numbers - currently at $102,000,000,000 and looking to draw down more.  Not sure what interest rate they're paying but historically it's been above mortgage rates.  Assuming 4% then the DAILY interest bill is $11M.  Currently we have 8.5% unemployed and growing and extremely limited tourism.  LNG prices are in the toilet and coal has come off so royalties must be taking a hit.  Keen to understand the way out of this?

sell government assets.

18 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Agreed. It's what they've always done in the past.

We both live in QLD and we know the ALP got elected on a no-sell basis twice.  Even the LNP went there at the last election so what's the chances now??  I saw we have ~250K public servants, an increase of 4k this year.  Maybe that's where everyone will end up 'working'? 

I agree though that non-essential services should be considered to be sold as a minimum - there is so much super money out there looking for a home it would be a good time to sell.

3 minutes ago, truck said:

We both live in QLD and we know the ALP got elected on a no-sell basis twice.  Even the LNP went there at the last election so what's the chances now??  I saw we have ~250K public servants, an increase of 4k this year.  Maybe that's where everyone will end up 'working'? 

I agree though that non-essential services should be considered to be sold as a minimum - there is so much super money out there looking for a home it would be a good time to sell.

Maybe we could sell the story Bridge? :)

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Maybe we could sell the story Bridge? :)

I've already done that 53 times.  Yanks are so gullible!

• Haha 3
15 hours ago, more said:

Very well made and pretty funny but pretty offensive to be honest that it mainly focuses on making fun of his Italian heritage..

Pretty much nothing offends me any more....even when I walk into a hardware store & the bloke who I don't know from a bar of soap says "what can I do for you big guy" 😄

I know a bloke who says he is a mate of Giovani's & can call him anytime he wants.  Given what I know about his other associates (i.e. as dodgy as all fcuk), it makes sense now 😬

Offended2.jpg.4a68d8d0e45306e91ea0197da8cf992f.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Pretty much nothing offends me any more....even when I walk into a hardware store & the bloke who I don't know from a bar of soap says "what can I do for you big guy" 😄

I know a bloke who says he is a mate of Giovani's & can call him anytime he wants.  Given what I know about his other associates (i.e. as dodgy as all fcuk), it makes sense now 😬

Offended2.jpg.4a68d8d0e45306e91ea0197da8cf992f.jpg

good post Big Guy

• Haha 2

I posted in the News thread, but the NBN is getting an upgrade!  Looks like new fibre is going to be rolled out to more premises, with up to 8 million more premises able to access high speed internet, up to 1gb speeds!

The pollie announcing it at this moment, said that in 2013 they inherited a failing network and system!  So they came up with their multi-system network plan!  So spruking the system they implemented over the "failing" network they inherited.  He says that if they stuck with Labors plan then right now 5 million less homes would be able to access the nbn than currently can!  

So for 4.5 billion they are implementing the next phase in the nbn plan.........

• Confused 1

So what's happened, is Covid has shown them that what they've butchered it to hasn't been good enough!  Listening to the pollie anouncing it is like listening to Trump trumpet how well he's managed Covid compared to everyone else in the world.  Just a complete positive about everything that they've done thus far and that this was just a "next phase".  By 2023 8 million more premises will have access to it.  The early news was 3.5 billion extra for it, but he's saying 4.5 billion now.

The current govt has approved this plan for Australia to become a top 5 digital nation!  And that with the LNP's implementation of the current network, the NBN has gone from just being a utility!

So, whoever this dude was making the announcement, is addressing the national press club today at 12.30pm.  I'm gonna have to have a late lunch to actually watch this, especially from about 1pm when the press will start asking questions!

Why can't anyone just say "we f'ed up and are fixing it".........   Is that so bloody hard to do?  It's not like a federal election is coming soon.  And everyone knows you f'ed up.  You can wrap a turd in chocolate, but that don't make it a Chokito (or Pollywaffle, if that's your preference).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, goughy said:

Why can't anyone just say "we f'ed up and are fixing it".........   Is that so bloody hard to do? 

How have they f#%ked up?  If there was a screw up its that the initial scheme (a KRudd announcement while in opposition) was overly ambitious and seriously underpriced.

I suspect what you're seeing now is a very public announcement of the stuff that happens constantly anyway.  The network is continually being upgraded with improved  infrastructure, new methods and technologies.  The replacement of  copper cabling with fibre has been happening for some time and is probably the prereq for 1Gb network speeds that were mentioned.

I'm a Queenslander now but spent the first 25 years living in Melbourne and still have 3 sisters living in Wangaratta. I fail to understand how Dan ever got elected to Premier and how he hasn't been shown the door for all the lies he's told. Can any Victorians explain to me?

Moreover who signed the order that engaged the private security firm employed to look after the Covid 19 returnees?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure the odds of Dan outlasting Gladys in their respective premier roles would have been quite long last week. After today’s revelations at the ICAC, it would probably be an even money bet.

Not for her choice of partner, but for continuing the relationship when he had already been found to have behaved inappropriately in public office. I feel genuinely sorry for her, as she has led a good response to COVID in NSW, where the reality of Sydney being an international city makes the goal of elimination unrealistic and unattainable.

It shows more than ever why we need to have a similar robust and independent organisation to oversee the Commonwealth Government and federal public servants.

• Like 3

Muppets... 

Tens of thousands of these letterbox dropped in marginal electorates across Qld during the election period. So who paid for it and why is the Aussie crest at at top of the letter. I hope the QEC investigates.

A2C7ABB9-BB86-4055-9E90-2DE1FE0AFA36.jpeg

Edited by Mike Del
  • Confused 1
On 12/10/2020 at 2:47 PM, Stoney!!! said:

I’m sure the odds of Dan outlasting Gladys in their respective premier roles would have been quite long last week. After today’s revelations at the ICAC, it would probably be an even money bet.

Not for her choice of partner, but for continuing the relationship when he had already been found to have behaved inappropriately in public office. I feel genuinely sorry for her, as she has led a good response to COVID in NSW, where the reality of Sydney being an international city makes the goal of elimination unrealistic and unattainable.

It shows more than ever why we need to have a similar robust and independent organisation to oversee the Commonwealth Government and federal public servants.

She was young and naive

On 27/09/2020 at 5:34 PM, oldave said:

I'm a Queenslander now but spent the first 25 years living in Melbourne and still have 3 sisters living in Wangaratta. I fail to understand how Dan ever got elected to Premier and how he hasn't been shown the door for all the lies he's told. Can any Victorians explain to me?

Moreover who signed the order that engaged the private security firm employed to look after the Covid 19 returnees?

Well Dan got elected premier for a number of reasons. The first was the State was in pretty good economic shape with lots of infrastructure spend. The second is the State opposition are very weak - they should be ashamed of their poor electoral effort and their particularly bad choice of leader, Matthew Guy.

The major reason for Dan to be ousted is for the failure of the COVID hotel isolation.  Private contractors Vs DOD was probably not such a big deal then (but it is now!!) so it was either not a blip on Dan's radar at the time and he was content for the "experts" to sort it (well and good) or he intervened on a local jobs front under real or perceived union pressure, in which case it's bye bye Dan!

In the main he has been acting on expert medical advice from our surprisingly popular chief health officer (#SEXYSUTTON: HOW VICTORIA’S CHIEF HEALTH OFFICER REACHED CULT STATUS) and this is OK. However there is some questioning over whether ALL the lockdown actions are from "Sexy Sutto" and co - the imposition of a curfew, for example, that no-one knows where, or how originated. This is NOT OK.

in any case the anti-Dan sentiment is reaching such proportions that things will need to change - he is in a lose-lose situation - too tough and there is a civil war - and too easy the Covid comes back. 

image.png.83ceb269f4afe52ce528ddf18f5db73e.png

What you Bewdy! Bonza! surf culture,  shock jock loving northerners have to realise is that Melbourne is far more "socially progressive" (left) than other States and, while Dan's time is almost certainly running out, I don't think there will be a change in government.  The current opposition leader, Michael O'brien has really failed with this opportunity to get traction with Victorians - instead he has come across as lackluster with nothing of substance to offer.  My prediction is that Dan will be step down prior to the next election and either James Merlino (Minister for Education) or Tim Pallas (Treasurer) will take the helm - my money is on Merlino.  And the Liberal party will continue to wander in the wilderness until they get some quality people to provide a real, credible alternative.

Does that answer your question?

Edited by PeterW
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Well Dan got elected premier for a number of reasons. The first was the State was in pretty good economic shape with lots of infrastructure spend. The second is the State opposition are very weak - they should be ashamed of their poor electoral effort and their particularly bad choice of leader, Matthew Guy.

The major reason for Dan to be ousted is for the failure of the COVID hotel isolation.  Private contractors Vs DOD was probably not such a big deal then (but it is now!!) so it was either not a blip on Dan's radar at the time and he was content for the "experts" to sort it (well and good) or he intervened on a local jobs front under real or perceived union pressure, in which case it's bye bye Dan!

In the main he has been acting on expert medical advice from our surprisingly popular chief health officer (#SEXYSUTTON: HOW VICTORIA’S CHIEF HEALTH OFFICER REACHED CULT STATUS) and this is OK. However there is some questioning over whether ALL the lockdown actions are from "Sexy Sutto" and co - the imposition of a curfew, for example, that no-one knows where, or how originated. This is NOT OK.

in any case the anti-Dan sentiment is reaching such proportions that things will need to change - he is in a lose-lose situation - too tough and there is a civil war - and too easy the Covid comes back. 

image.png.83ceb269f4afe52ce528ddf18f5db73e.png

What you Bewdy! Bonza! surf culture,  shock jock loving northerners have to realise is that Melbourne is far more "socially progressive" (left) than other States and, while Dan's time is almost certainly running out, I don't think there will be a change in government.  The current opposition leader, Michael O'brien has really failed with this opportunity to get traction with Victorians - instead he has come across as lackluster with nothing of substance to offer.  My prediction is that Dan will be step down prior to the next election and either James Merlino (Minister for Education) or Tim Palace (Treasurer) will take the helm - my money is on Merlino.  And the Liberal party will continue to wander in the wilderness until they get some quality people to provide a real, credible alternative.

Exactly why I am trying to stay out of Victoria for as long as possible. 

Too left for this banjo plucking yee Ha. 👍✌️

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, PeterW said:

What you Bewdy! Bonza! surf culture,  shock jock loving northerners have to realise is that Melbourne is far more "socially progressive" (left) than other States and, while Dan's time is almost certainly running out, I don't think there will be a change in government.  The current opposition leader, Michael O'brien has really failed with this opportunity to get traction with Victorians - instead he has come across as lackluster with nothing of substance to offer.  My prediction is that Dan will be step down prior to the next election and either James Merlino (Minister for Education) or Tim Pallas (Treasurer) will take the helm - my money is on Merlino.  And the Liberal party will continue to wander in the wilderness until they get some quality people to provide a real, credible alternative.

Some good points there, and what it really always seems to come down to is people only turn to Libs when they need something fixed. Labor f%ck it and Libs fix it seems to be the mantra. 

I think the growing hostility towards Dan is the public are hurting and sacrificing yet his government STILL cant get something essential like contact tracing right. Its his incompetence that is keeping people in lockdown, not the publics.

This is just not acceptable:

"Contact tracers are trained to ask where people work, and are on particular alert for high-risk jobs like cleaning.

Yet for four days, the Butcher Club was not officially informed of the risk. The shop didn't find out until a staff member fell ill and returned a positive test on Monday September 28.

That was because contact tracers only discovered the cleaner had worked at the Butcher Club while infectious after the staff member got sick."

• Like 1
1 hour ago, more said:

Some good points there, and what it really always seems to come down to is people only turn to Libs when they need something fixed. Labor f%ck it and Libs fix it seems to be the mantra.

Yes that pretty much sums it up, however I would put it that the LNP prioritize wealth creation over social welfare whereas the ALP tend to have it the other way around. Unfortunately the extreme right forget about social welfare (as if it will somehow just "go away" :confused1:) and the loony left would sabotage wealth creation in favor of social welfare (as if we don't need money to spend it..?! :confused1:). Why can't we all meet in the middle and just be happy...? :inlove:

Interesting points also re Dan and contact tracing. I am a little confused by how much personal responsibility Dan has to take for listening to his experts who, presumably, are offering apolitical, best practice advice? I suppose it all comes down to whether, if some or all restrictions are lifted, can the Victorian public be trusted to behave in a socially responsible (COVID responsible) manner.

It could be argued that "The Butcher Club Cleaner" (bless her) from Frankston (bless it) responsible for the latest outbreak would have gone to work with symptoms regardless of what rules and regulations were in place, and that is the real issue - reinforcing common sense to the sensible (eg small business) for no net gain?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

can the Victorian public be trusted to behave in a socially responsible (COVID responsible) manner.

It's quite obvious that the answer is No.   Far too many people out there who think that the rules don't apply to them.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Interesting points also re Dan and contact tracing. I am a little confused by how much personal responsibility Dan has to take for listening to his experts who, presumably, are offering apolitical, best practice advice? I suppose it all comes down to whether, if some or all restrictions are lifted, can the Victorian public be trusted to behave in a socially responsible (COVID responsible) manner.

The contact tracing in Vic compared to NSW for example is a shambles. The shop wasnt even told about the positive FFS-in all those 4 days their staff were allowed to spread the virus. If the tracers had done their job correctly on day one we wouldn't be in this situation.

As for Dans fault-well there are two parts, if you are going to take credit when things go well you also have to be held accountable and responsible when things go wrong (as he keeps telling us but refuses to do in reality..). There has been more than one failure for it to be a one off, its time and time again...dysfunctional and dishonest...and it comes from the top down.

Why is it Victoria is the ONLY state with this problem....

Edited by more
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, more said:

The contact tracing in Vic compared to NSW for example is a shambles. The shop wasnt even told about the positive FFS-in all those 4 days their staff were allowed to spread the virus. If the tracers had done their job correctly on day one we wouldn't be in this situation.

You are probably right but there may be more to this than meets the eye.  I don't know all the details but I understand that the this person was uncooperative. Wasn't there a burglary at her house after the Chadstone infection that - wait for it - was perpetrated by four women who were known to the occupant but, the occupant - ie the cleaner from Butcher's club - wont tell the authorities who they were?!  I mean, you couldn't make this shit up!!  So now we have four burglars with a high likelihood of Covid out there, somewhere, presumably burglarizing (is that even a word?!) other houses?!! 

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You are probably right but there may be more to this than meets the eye.  I don't know all the details but I understand that the this person was uncooperative. Wasn't there a burglary at her house after the Chadstone infection that - wait for it - was perpetrated by four women who were known to the occupant but, the occupant - ie the cleaner from Butcher's club - wont tell the authorities who they were?!  I mean, you couldn't make this shit up!!  So now we have four burglars with a high likelihood of Covid out there, somewhere, presumably burglarizing (is that even a word?!) other houses?!! 

I hadn't heard that but it doesn't make sense why she would lie about or withhold where she works...sounds a bit far fetched to me

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Merv said:

Gladys' dodgy ex having a very selective memory at the ICAC.

I believe Arthur Sinodinos holds the ICAC record of 27 times ... “I don’t recall”

Edited by Mike Del
  • Haha 1

Daryl Maguire was the floor manager at Big W in Griffith when I worked there after school 35 years ago 😂 I thought he looked familiar!

• Haha 1

The Maguire evidence is hysterical

USB sticks containing sensitive data lost and ipads being run over by a tractor.🤣

Edited by Merv
Sp
4 minutes ago, more said:

Lol Mike and DaveT gushing over the Labor wins even though they claim no political bias.. 

All I was doing was " Thanking" Mike for supplying the news about Adern claiming NZ. 

Wouldn't say I give a flying f#$k about local ACT politics.

And you wonder why people.............

• Haha 1
Just now, Dave T said:

All I was doing was " Thanking" Mike for supplying the news about Adern claiming NZ. 

Wouldn't say I give a flying f#$k about local ACT politics.

And you wonder why people.............

Get your hand off it Dave, it's clear you are a passionate Labor supporter, why deny it? 

• Sad 1
8 hours ago, more said:

Lol Mike and DaveT gushing over the Labor wins even though they claim no political bias.. 

I posted in the Politics Sect yesterday’s election results and who was up who was down exactly as it was appearing on the info bar running across my tv. Nothing more, nothing less.

I’ve previously asked you to keep me out of your need to troll people and start arguments More. How about you start respecting that.

AB1C2FB7-BEA4-4CBC-B671-C035F7BEE95A.jpeg

Edited by Mike Del