Jump to content

The Politics Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Andrew #1

    1468

  • Formerly known as BOTP II

    1135

  • goughy

    1081

  • IronJimbo

    941

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I typed something long but couldn’t be fucked. Yeah, I just think your head is so far up the “left bad” , “right good” black hole that you are incapable of any sort of meaningful discourse.   

Does it matter what the Gillard government thought? I'm not going to tell you how to debate your topics IJ, but you seem to be fixated on the politics rather than the problem. Sometimes things ha

Thank God Tony axed that Carbon Tax. My electricity prices have been dropping ever since that visionary move.  

Posted Images

Yeah, local exposure doesn't happen in my seat! Mighty safe lib seat, so the only time you hear his name is election time. The dude from the marginal seat two electorates over has his hand in everything! His seat swings between lib/Labor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, A2K said:

Has anyone ever changed their vote because some nutters were jumping around on the side of the road waving placards with a politician's name on it? 

I was gunna vote for that Dominos dude, but I couldn't find him on my ballot.

He must be the next electorate over.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, A2K said:

Has anyone ever changed their vote because some nutters were jumping around on the side of the road waving placards with a politician's name on it? No didn't think so. Seriously what do these people think is gonna happen?

Has anybody seen the road down into Samford of a weekend morning lately?

 

Call me OCD, but I thought I'd count them last weekend. 35 Labor signs, and 27 LNP. Add to that the massive truck with the Labor advertising on the side parked there, and the LNP trailer that's been there for the past 2 weeks. That was all on one side of a 100m stretch of road.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2017 at 11:54 AM, Prince said:

yep, he was shown to be "arrogant'  much like palashag is now. 

I still don't think she is actually arrogant. i think she's still just in way above her head and doing what she thinks a person in her situation should be doing. I don't think it's arrogance. Peter Beattie in his latter years, yes, that was arrogance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2017 at 8:09 PM, Tyno said:

I was gunna vote for that Dominos dude, but I couldn't find him on my ballot.

He must be the next electorate over.

Now that would make me chuckle if the Dominos dude positioned himself between some the political placard waving nutters.

Vote 1 Dominos.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with ya Ex.  She never expected to be leading, and I bet the rest of the party didn't either.  She was probably just to be the sacrificial lamb for the next term or two until they could be competitive again.  But you couldn't replace her after running a great campaign and winning.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This makes me so angry!

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/stadium-bill-to-soar-above-2b-following-cabinet-approval-20171123-gzrbjj.html?login_token=vqDKMLok8gMqdQzvGsZpC-tzzoyoBgKoeMbmu5XqbSi6C7gbPrzYiOuvcrlFe6uZduUx25hRYcph7d5Ct-D41w&expiry=1511481889&single_use_token=uR2-v9DwR7Vd97XlijensJ9LbI1LL0QVilUEEUpCik_yMeBSjsL4f8kRIOwm6Ca-DJsV9nGcf4SelZXjWByoiw

Not yet 20 years old the NSW Governemnt wants to spend over a billion in demolishing our Olympic Stadium as a sop to the NRL lobby and rebuild another ‘rectangular’ stadium on the same footprint with slightly less capacity.

Let’s face facts. The NRL in Sydney pulls a crowd of greater than 40,000 exactly twice every year - for the GF and the Origin. That’s it.

Rugger Buggers are only prepared to travel in numbers west of the Bridge once a year - for the Bledisloe.

Soccer can probably get over 40,000 once per year - for a travelling Premier League club in their pre-season warm ups down under and perhaps once a decade for a World Cup decider like last week.

But that’s it.

There is no justification for destroying a billion dollar state of the art circular 83,000 seat stadium for a 80,000 capacity rectangular one.

What’s more scandalous has been the contractual shinanigans that has been both the AFL and Twenty/20 big bash set up camp at Spotless stadium when ANZ is actually a perfect arena for both - THAT’s where you have the potential to get consistent 50,000+ crowds in Sydney week in week out - not with the NRL, Rugby and Soccer. Moreover, the circular stadium is bettter for stadium rock concerts than a rectangular one, by a country mile.

As for the other part of yeterday’s stadium announcement. Demolishing a 45,500 capacity rectangular stadium juts to build another 45,000 capacity stadium. Did cabinet indulge in a 3 day Ice and Crack cocaine binge before signing off on that one?

Sure, there are problems with Allianz but for Waratah, Roosters and Sydney FC games they don’t even get 20,000 through the gate. This is a straight out sop to Alan Jones and the Great and Good on the SCG Trust. Frack them. A billion dollars for Liberal Party mates. Lock the Cabinet up now. Forget Eddie and Joe, THIS is the most scandalous decision since Askin. Nah, the Rum Corp.

If those f*ckers on the SCG Trust THINK there is a case for a modern ‘Lang Park’ style stadium, then they should tap their rich mates in the Banking Industry or the rent seeking sports codes that would stand to benefit to finance it. Not us tax payers.

The Liberal squad on here - Flower, Jimbo and Prince should be demanding blood or simply hang their head in shame.

If we must have a ‘Lang Park’ type rectangular stadium with a 50-60,000 seat capacity in Sydney then build a brand new one at Homebush on the public car park between the rail line, M4 and Hockey Field. Rebuild the State Sports centre (perhaps with a 8,000 seat capacity), reconfigure the two hockey fields. 2-3 levels of underground car parking and a new rail platform exiting right into the stadium. For a saving of between 1 & 1.5 billion dollars (in comparison with the 2.3+ billion announcement yesterday), that could be a justified spend of tax payers money, but I think we’d be better off if they just rebuilt Concord Hospital and put a retractable roof on ANZ instead.

 

Edited by Andrew #1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tim Nichols with a little for in mouth moment this morning, telling people to "go out and vote for their local LNP/One uuuuh"...... Maybe that answers the question he won't, about whether they'll try and partner with ON to form govt?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, goughy said:

Tim Nichols with a little for in mouth moment this morning, telling people to "go out and vote for their local LNP/One uuuuh"...... Maybe that answers the question he won't, about whether they'll try and partner with ON to form govt?

he meant vote one for the LNP, .......I think....

it will be very interesting to see if palashag really does reject forming a minority government and as she says. 'would rather be in opposition' than to work either with the greens or one nation.     

Edited by Prince
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prince said:

he meant vote one for the LNP, .......I think....

it will be very interesting to see if palashag really does reject forming a minority government and as she says. 'would rather be in opposition' than to work either with the greens or one nation.     

Of course she'll do what ever she has to to form govt.  Same as Tim Nichols.  And no, he wasn't saying to vote one for the LNP. He slipped up, that's all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2017 at 2:07 PM, Prince said:

it will be very interesting to see if palashag really does reject forming a minority government and as she says. 'would rather be in opposition' than to work either with the greens or one nation.     

Looks like it probably* won't be an issue.

Watched Scott Emerson's live to air tantrum. What a knob.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/11/2017 at 11:24 AM, Andrew #1 said:

This makes me so angry!

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/stadium-bill-to-soar-above-2b-following-cabinet-approval-20171123-gzrbjj.html?login_token=vqDKMLok8gMqdQzvGsZpC-tzzoyoBgKoeMbmu5XqbSi6C7gbPrzYiOuvcrlFe6uZduUx25hRYcph7d5Ct-D41w&expiry=1511481889&single_use_token=uR2-v9DwR7Vd97XlijensJ9LbI1LL0QVilUEEUpCik_yMeBSjsL4f8kRIOwm6Ca-DJsV9nGcf4SelZXjWByoiw

Not yet 20 years old the NSW Governemnt wants to spend over a billion in demolishing our Olympic Stadium as a sop to the NRL lobby and rebuild another ‘rectangular’ stadium on the same footprint with slightly less capacity.

Let’s face facts. The NRL in Sydney pulls a crowd of greater than 40,000 exactly twice every year - for the GF and the Origin. That’s it.

Rugger Buggers are only prepared to travel in numbers west of the Bridge once a year - for the Bledisloe.

Soccer can probably get over 40,000 once per year - for a travelling Premier League club in their pre-season warm ups down under and perhaps once a decade for a World Cup decider like last week.

But that’s it.

There is no justification for destroying a billion dollar state of the art circular 83,000 seat stadium for a 80,000 capacity rectangular one.

What’s more scandalous has been the contractual shinanigans that has been both the AFL and Twenty/20 big bash set up camp at Spotless stadium when ANZ is actually a perfect arena for both - THAT’s where you have the potential to get consistent 50,000+ crowds in Sydney week in week out - not with the NRL, Rugby and Soccer. Moreover, the circular stadium is bettter for stadium rock concerts than a rectangular one, by a country mile.

As for the other part of yeterday’s stadium announcement. Demolishing a 45,500 capacity rectangular stadium juts to build another 45,000 capacity stadium. Did cabinet indulge in a 3 day Ice and Crack cocaine binge before signing off on that one?

Sure, there are problems with Allianz but for Waratah, Roosters and Sydney FC games they don’t even get 20,000 through the gate. This is a straight out sop to Alan Jones and the Great and Good on the SCG Trust. Frack them. A billion dollars for Liberal Party mates. Lock the Cabinet up now. Forget Eddie and Joe, THIS is the most scandalous decision since Askin. Nah, the Rum Corp.

If those f*ckers on the SCG Trust THINK there is a case for a modern ‘Lang Park’ style stadium, then they should tap their rich mates in the Banking Industry or the rent seeking sports codes that would stand to benefit to finance it. Not us tax payers.

The Liberal squad on here - Flower, Jimbo and Prince should be demanding blood or simply hang their head in shame.

If we must have a ‘Lang Park’ type rectangular stadium with a 50-60,000 seat capacity in Sydney then build a brand new one at Homebush on the public car park between the rail line, M4 and Hockey Field. Rebuild the State Sports centre (perhaps with a 8,000 seat capacity), reconfigure the two hockey fields. 2-3 levels of underground car parking and a new rail platform exiting right into the stadium. For a saving of between 1 & 1.5 billion dollars (in comparison with the 2.3+ billion announcement yesterday), that could be a justified spend of tax payers money, but I think we’d be better off if they just rebuilt Concord Hospital and put a retractable roof on ANZ instead.

 

Mate, I've tried to take it all in what you wrote,  I go to the SCG once a year for mcgrath day, wear pink, get pissed, do selfies with turnbull.... will I still be able to do that....lol.   

On a serious note, I love sport but this makes zero sense at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tyno said:

Looks like it probably* won't be an issue.

 

thats good,  as I didn't realise she actually said no deals with any minor party, greens, one nation, Katter or independents, though she should send Pauline a nice xmas card as many new labour ministers were referenced by one nation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the LNP we whinging about that last night. Though the Labor guy pointed out the opposite was happening in some seats too. I think they were saying that ON were preferencing against the sitting member, regardless of who that was? I don't know if there's any real tactical point to that our if it's just a thumbed nose to whoever held the seat.

But they could end up with not a single seat themselves, which suits me fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goughy said:

I don't know if there's any real tactical point to that our if it's just a thumbed nose to whoever held the seat.

Its part of the whole "outsiders" thing - show you aren't part of the current problem.

There was a few seats where they said the current member was OK and directed preferences their way, but not many.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

wow, the redneck wonderland of Qld didnt back the homophobe racist one nation.....  hard to believe one tour by the oils changes the world.  

Qld had a higher 'yes' vote in the SSM survey. Who are the rednecks?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll say I'm pretty impressed with Dutton appearing on The Project tonight, as he must have known he'd be on a hiding to knowhere with them.

But beyond that, I can't stand him!  Seeing what Tim Costello had to say this morning about the situation at Manus and the state of some of the ready accommodation.  Sure many will take what the activists and Get Up have to say, but TC ain't out tweeting, and ain't no friggin' nutjob. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, goughy said:

I'll say I'm pretty impressed with Dutton appearing on The Project tonight, as he must have known he'd be on a hiding to knowhere with them.

But beyond that, I can't stand him!  Seeing what Tim Costello had to say this morning about the situation at Manus and the state of some of the ready accommodation.  Sure many will take what the activists and Get Up have to say, but TC ain't out tweeting, and ain't no friggin' nutjob. 

yep, agree, I think getup has zero credibility though, but TC must have an idea.  I can't believe Dutton has never even set foot on Manus. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, XCOM! said:

Abetz and his speech about fish, rivers and protecting homophobic bakers... makes me wonder if he’d planning to walk on the water and do the loaves & fishes thing.

Channeling Dan Wilson? 

DSC_0160.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2017 at 8:01 PM, goughy said:

 

But beyond that, I can't stand him!  Seeing what Tim Costello had to say this morning about the situation at Manus and the state of some of the ready accommodation.  Sure many will take what the activists and Get Up have to say, but TC ain't out tweeting, and ain't no friggin' nutjob. 

People already have their opinions on Manus and refugees in general (or are just over hearing both sides), and very little can be said that is going to change that.  One party says they shouldn't be there, their treatment is horrendous, bring them here etc.  The other side says they came here illegally, bypassing many countries and have found security but want security with centrelink benefits etc.  Exactly what is Dutton or Tim Costello really going to say to change the minds of either side?  There has to be more to the debate instead of basic "Bring them here" or "Stop the boats" - real solutions are going to get the votes in the middle

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its fricken hilarious isnt it.

Everyone thought they were in the pockets of the banks which they denied, and continued to rally against a Royal Comission  which made it look even more like they were beholden to the banks. 

Now within hours of the banks "asking" for a RC Turnbull calls it. The optics of this whole situation could not be more ridiculous. 

Someone somewhere has just had to tear up the script of a another political satire show. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

ABC fact check has confirmed that Bob Katter is wrong.  A crocodile is not tearing a person apart every three months in northern Australia.  Since 1985 the rate is about one every 3.5yrs.  Over the last 10yrs it's been one every 20 months.  

A politician telling porkies....... what is the world coming to!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, roxii said:

Its fricken hilarious isnt it.

Everyone thought they were in the pockets of the banks which they denied, and continued to rally against a Royal Comission  which made it look even more like they were beholden to the banks. 

Now within hours of the banks "asking" for a RC Turnbull calls it. The optics of this whole situation could not be more ridiculous. 

Someone somewhere has just had to tear up the script of a another political satire show. 

Destroys NBN for Murdoch,  Now does this for the banks.  

 

Poor bastards the Banks and the Libs, reading the polls thinking, can we set up a RC with our own terms and have it complete before the Australian People install Labor and they change it all.....

 

Hilarious, except we are paying for this shit. Fark Howard has a lot to answer for hanging onto the death and destroying the Liberal Party, very funny but hasn't helped our country to have the mad monk destroy his own government then this one.  Just sad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, a good government needs a credible opposition.  Howard, Rudd, Gillard and Tones have left us with a shamble and no alternatives.  No wonder people turn to the looney left and the redneck right, the middle ground is a barren policy bereft wasteland 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Yep, a good government needs a credible opposition.  Howard, Rudd, Gillard and Tones have left us with a shamble and no alternatives.  No wonder people turn to the looney left and the redneck right, the middle ground is a barren policy bereft wasteland 

Regardless of politics, governments need to be bold and lead.  We just haven't seen that as all of Govt since Hawke/ Keating. Had a very, very brief glimpse of it from Howard when he banned guns in 96 but in reality that was opinion poll driven as well, being the result of a white male nut job shooting 35 people and injuring another 23 people  at Port Arthur, and affecting all the people that witnessed it.

1996 to 2017 - 21 years of bereft leadership from all of Govt.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Regardless of politics, governments need to be bold and lead.  We just haven't seen that as all of Govt since Hawke/ Keating. Had a very, very brief glimpse of it from Howard when he banned guns in 96 but in reality that was opinion poll driven as well, being the result of a white male nut job shooting 35 people and injuring another 23 people  at Port Arthur, and affecting all the people that witnessed it.

1996 to 2017 - 21 years of bereft leadership from all of Govt.  

 

Sorry, i sure don't rate Keating as having any legacy.  Howard did a little more than 'ban guns' because of a nut job...    you are drinking way too much of Andrew's coolaid... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Says it all really on Howard managed the economy...... just sold the farm at an express rate to pay for everything when he became PM and gave it away building no legacy.... just sad.

 

http://www.finance.gov.au/property/asset-sales/past-sales.html

 

April 1988
Commonwealth Accommodation and Catering Services
14.9
November 1988
Defence Service House Corporation Loan Portfolio
1,515
June 1989
AMDEL
0.92
May 1991
Australian Defence Force Home Loan Franchise
42
(plus annual commission payments)
June 1991
Commonwealth Housing Loan Assistance Schemes in the ACT
47.3
September 1992
Australian Airlines
400
March 1993
25% of Qantas
665
November 1993
Snowy Mountains Engineering Corporation
1.5
June 1994
Moomba-Sydney Pipeline System
534
June 1994
Commonwealth Uranium Stockpile
57
June 1995
Aerospace Technologies of Australia Pty Ltd
40
December 1996
Commonwealth Funds Management
62.5
January 1997
Avalon Airport Geelong Ltd
1.5 
(plus annual lease payments)
May 1997
Phase 1 Airports
  • Melbourne Airport
  • Brisbane Airport
  • Perth Airport
3,337
July 1997
DASFLEET
408
September 1997
Australian Industry Development Corporation Ltd 
(sale included provision of a $3,200m pool of Commonwealth bonds to repay equivalent amount in Commonwealth guaranteed borrowings as they fall due)
155
November 1997
Australian National Railways Commission
95.4
October/November 1997
Department of Administrative Services
  • Asset Services
  • Australian Operational Support Services
  • Australian Property Group
  • DAS Centre for Environmental Management
  • DAS Distribution
  • DAS Interiors
  • WORKS Australia
28.9
December 1997
Housing Loans Insurance Corporation
108
February 1998
Former Macleod Repatriation Hospital site
1.75
April 1998
Australian Multimedia Enterprises Ltd
29.3
(capital return)
April 1998
Phase 2 Airports
(Adelaide; Alice Springs; Canberra; Coolangatta; Darwin; Hobart; Launceston; Mt Isa; Parafield; Tennant Creek; and Townsville; Archerfield; Jandakot and Moorabbin)
730.8
June 1998
Auscript
1.1
March 1999
National Transmission Network
650
December 1998 - May 1999
Australian River Co. (formerly ANL Ltd)
20.697
November 1999
ADI Ltd
346.78
January 2000
Removals Australia
10.4
April 2000
AWRAP (Australian Wool Research and Promotion)
(corporatisation and industry restructure)
September 2001
Essendon Airport Ltd
22.044
February 2002
Combined sale of National Rail Corporation Ltd and
NSW's Freight Rail Corporation ($1172m total transaction value)
220
June 2002
Sale of Sydney (Kingsford Smith) Airport ($1355m of SACL debt repaid in addition)
4233
December 2003
Sale of Sydney Basin Airports (Bankstown, Camden and Hoxton Park)
211.0
June 2004
ComLand Limited ($25.3m of ComLand debt repaid in addition)
139.7

 

Share Offers managed by the Commonwealth
Share Offers managed by the Commonwealth Share Offer Proceeds ($b)
October 1993
Commonwealth Bank Secondary Public Share Offer (2)
1.7
June 1994
CSL (former Commonwealth Serum Laboratories) Public Share Offer
0.3
July 1995
Qantas Public Share Offer
1.4
July 1996
Commonwealth Bank Secondary Public Share Offer (3) and share buy back
5.1
November 1997
Telstra 1
14.2
(plus $3 billion payment to the Commonwealth from retained earnings)
October 1999
Telstra 2
16.0
November 2006
Telstra 3
15.4
Link to post
Share on other sites

So how long does it take to count a bunch of votes in QLD??  How hard can it really be? If ALP doesn't get a clear majority in its own right will it decline government?  And it's only 2yrs 10 months until the next election here so whoever gets in will spend that time just trying to ensure they get elected again rather than doing something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Course she will.  She's a politician.  There'll be one who work with her. Doesn't matter what she said, they'll do what they have to.  ABC predicts they'll win 47, so we'll see.

I like how Nichols says if you can't outright, let us have a go. A minority govt needing 9 independents, ON, Katter Party and Greens to govern...... what could go wrong?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, truck said:

So how long does it take to count a bunch of votes in QLD??  How hard can it really be?

The problem is that some of seats are close, and they have to allow 2 weeks for postal votes to arrive. The way it's panning out, no-one will concede till they are positive they don't even have a sniff of a chance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Says it all really on Howard managed the economy...... just sold the farm at an express rate to pay for everything when he became PM and gave it away building no legacy.... just sad.

 

 

 

 
  15.4

yep...keeping Telstra....that would have been a great legacy.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...