The Politics Thread

Hard to fathom after that 'unicorn' talking point (superior communicator and all).

"The Coalition and Labor are deadlocked in the latest Newspoll as support for the government tumbles in the face of policy confusion and the political honeymoon ends for Malcolm Turnbull, with his personal ratings falling to a four-month low â¦

Based on preference flows from the last election, the Coal¬ition and Labor are tied in two-party terms at 50 per cent each

It is a significant plunge for the government from the 53 per cent-47 per cent lead it had steadily maintained since last November."

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew #1

• Formerly known as BOTP II

• goughy

• IronJimbo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I typed something long but couldn’t be fucked. Yeah, I just think your head is so far up the “left bad” , “right good” black hole that you are incapable of any sort of meaningful discourse.   

Does it matter what the Gillard government thought? I'm not going to tell you how to debate your topics IJ, but you seem to be fixated on the politics rather than the problem. Sometimes things ha

Ironic that he waited till he was no longer a  politician to start being dignified and respectful. must be using that speech as a job interview 

Posted Images

You talking about polling this morning that puts ALP on the rise?

I think polling showed ALP and Libs equal after preferences

But Turnbull still in front is preferred PM and Libs still in front on 1St Party Preferred.

Will be interesting to see what comes of the coming few months.

I keep expecting Shorten to be replaced .... can't see him getting across the line .....

Maybe Malcolm should have gone early?

I suspect a DD election called after budget. to the polls in late June

Who you gunna vote for BOTP?

Â

It seems you are not a fan of Mally T.

Â

Is there some ultra right wing nutbag in your neck of the woods that catches your eye?

Â

If only Bernardi leaves the Libs and get his own Bernardi Retardi Party up and going hey??

You do realise that if mal gets re-elected it will only be on the back of what tones did.

Stopped the boats. Axed the tax.

Two more things than mal has accomplished.

Bill's prescription of higher taxes and spending. Policy by the union movement will be a disaster.

But hey. Some of us make more money in the counter cyclical environment.

So if mal gets beaten. What i call a win:win. Might build myself a new house and rent it to a wannabe first home owner.

Edited by Formerly known as BOTP II

Itv was actually a half serious question.

There are lots of Lib voters who seem to really dislike Mally T.

But what are your options coming polling day?

(Ps. I guess Tones left nothing to achieve. .... i mean, the boats were the biggest issue. ..)

Of course you scoff, but:

"People-smuggling gangs netted up to â¬6 billion ($9.24 billion) last year, most of it from the traffic of migrants into Europe, the European Union's police agency Europol said in a report issued on Monday.

Labelling people-smuggling the "fastest-growing criminal market in Europe", the report said: "This turnover is set to double or triple if the scale of the current migration crisis persists in the upcoming year."

& i'm planning to write 'bye bye mal' on my ballot.

For the spiritual Oz home for green left politics, this is somewhat ironic:

"Canberransâ taste for luxury is making them the countryâs biggest consumers each needing an average of 8.9 hectares to support their cashed-up lifestyles â three and a half times the world average â the latest ACT State of the Environment Report reveals."

But hey. We do live pretty well down here !

May I repeat my earlier question about voting majorities in the Senate? Previous answer buried back in the thread.

And if the coalition vote is a bock? Ditto ALP and the Greens? Who are the swing voters? Independents or Greens?

And if the coalition vote is a bock? Ditto ALP and the Greens? Who are the swing voters? Independents or Greens?

Coalition vote is a solid block.

ALP/Greens is usually similar, but in some instances, not so.

Like Senate reforms Bill, Greens voted with the coalition.

Coalition have 33/78, so they need to convince 7 people to vote with them for a majority.

ALP 25, Greens 10, 4 Independant, 4 minor party.

• Like 1

Coalition vote is a solid block.

Mostly, Barnaby was not afraid to cross the floor as a Senator, will be interesting to see how well the block stays together on contentious issues going forward and whether the junior partner members will be giving less grief should they follow the example of their now leader. Could be a case contentious issues won't make it past the cabinet so may not see it.

Xenophon (SA)

Lambie (Tas)

Lazarus (Qld)

Dang (WA)

Muir (Vic)

Madigan (Never hear much of him) (Vic)

Leyonhjelm (NSW)

Day (Family First) (SA)

are you minor parties / independents. Surprisingly Vic and SA have the most independents which goes against the old saying that you only need a handful of people in Tassie to vote you in as a senator in comparison to all the other states.

• Like 1

It seems the great communicator's communication has broken down with his most important deputy:

"Federal Coalition MPs are becoming concerned at the direction of the government amid indications of an increasingly strained relationship between the office of Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Treasurer Scott Morrison.

As the government struggled again on Wednesday to get its lines straight on tax policy, sources said there was an uneasy mood between Mr Turnbull and Mr Morrison on Sunday night when the cabinet met at The Lodge for dinner, and the governmentâs general political situation and its derailed tax reform plans were discussed.

âIt was about âhow did we get into this mess?ââ said a sourceâ¦

Friends of Mr Morrison say he is being unfairly blamed for the tax plans running off the rails. The government has been scrambling on tax policy since it decided this month to abandon plans to raise the rate and base of the GST to fund tax cuts.

âScott was just doing his job and they all abandoned him when it got rough,â one Liberal MP said. âHoward would never have done that to Costello."â¦

The wheels really are coming off very quickly. And i'd love to know which bozo asked 'how did we get into this mess'.

I can read this thread again, after being reminded of the "ignore" function :-)

A politics thread where you block the views you don't like.

There is a study about that:

"Scientists and other people have known for quite some time that many people tend to limit their exposure to news sources that offer information that goes against their own beliefs instead, they are drawn to sources that they find agreeable and in so doing bolster their beliefs when multiple people do the same thing and use the same sources they create what has become known as echo chambers. The researchers with this new effort have found a similar pattern in information processing by people that use the Internet most specifically, those that use Facebook."

P.s. no facebook for me.

"Scientists and other people have known for quite some time that many people tend to limit their exposure to news sources that offer information that goes against their own beliefs instead, they are drawn to sources that they find agreeable and in so doing bolster their beliefs when multiple people do the same thing and use the same sources they create what has become known as echo chambers. The researchers with this new effort have found a similar pattern in information processing by people that use the Internet most specifically, those that use Facebook."

P.s. no facebook for me.

Otherwise known as 'confirmation bias'

Which is why lefties love the ABC and Fairfax so much, and want Murdoch shut down

• Like 1

My blocking came about due to the Pell thread, the carryover to this thread is just a bonus. And yes, unfortunately quoted comments slip through the net. I'll have to use the old school ignore function for those.

Which is why the right wing nuts love Murdoch so much and want the ABC and Fairfax shutdown...

No i read fairfax for the gags.

'The ideal of the wise, benevolent reformer who would calmly canvass options and then lead a determined program of change has evaporated.

In its place is just another politician, operating from fear.'

Or as i like to call the malster. Mr 15 per cent.

Which is why the right wing nuts love Murdoch so much and want the ABC and Fairfax shutdown...

Only one side of politics has recent form in seeking to punish a media organisation for daring to criticise crap policy

Conservatives on the other hand have correctly criticised the ABC for continually ignoring it's charter, but do not have the totalitarianism of the left

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/07/revealed-30-year-economic-betrayal-dragging-down-generation-y-income

Incomes for Y-gen - Millenials has crashed throughout the western world over the past 30 years except for Australia - where they have actually increased in comparison with older age groups.

Two reasons IMO - the structural economic reforms of the Hawke-Keating Government were achieved through cooperation with the unions via the accord process and secondly, the unions fought a successful rearguard campaign to protect wages and emoluments through the Howard era culminating in their 'rights at work' campaign against workchoices.

This stands in stark contrast to the rest of the anglosphere where the likes of Reagan and Thatcher gleefully threw workers under the bus to further the cause of wealth hording by the 1%. 35 years later and most workers and the traditional middle classes are impoverished and angry enough to turn to neo fascism in anger and frustration. Neoliberalism has had a disproportionate effect on the future prospects of millennials - who are prepared to embrace crypto communism as offering some kind of 'hope'. ...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/07/revealed-30-year-economic-betrayal-dragging-down-generation-y-income

Incomes for Y-gen - Millenials has crashed throughout the western world over the past 30 years except for Australia - where they have actually increased in comparison with older age groups.

Two reasons IMO - the structural economic reforms of the Hawke-Keating Government were achieved through cooperation with the unions via the accord process and secondly, the unions fought a successful rearguard campaign to protect wages and emoluments through the Howard era culminating in their 'rights at work' campaign against workchoices.

This stands in stark contrast to the rest of the anglosphere where the likes of Reagan and Thatcher gleefully threw workers under the bus to further the cause of wealth hording by the 1%. 35 years later and most workers and the traditional middle classes are impoverished and angry enough to turn to neo fascism in anger and frustration. Neoliberalism has had a disproportionate effect on the future prospects of millennials - who are prepared to embrace crypto communism as offering some kind of 'hope'. ...

what is crypto communisim

• 2 weeks later...

I see the Coalition are best bum chums with the Greens now, whaaaaaat?

Got a few school friends that are massive supporters of the greens and so I end up seeing alot of their propaganda being shared on faceache. They really seem to be positioning themselves for a full on tilt from the left at labor next election, they've made no secret that they are aiming to form a greens coalition government at some stage in the near future, who the other party will be is yet to be seen. The other thing is Turnbull if and when he gets his own brand of liberal up is going to be just as close to the green ideology as labor

So are we back to "Captain's picks" again?

An hour earlier, during a radio interview, Treasurer Scott Morrison replied "May 10, May 10" when asked when the budget would be.

"We are preparing for May 10," he told 2GB's Ray Hadley. "I can't be clearer than that."

Mr Morrison later said he had been informed of the decision to hold the budget early during a cabinet meeting at 10am.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/malcolm-turnbull-recalls-parliament-for-april-18-sitting-ahead-of-early-election-20160320-gnmy2v.html#ixzz43Upfpopo
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

The Budget will now be on May 3. The letter to the GG was received at 9:15, so did the Mal decide on this before he told Cabinet, or was our "Honorable" Treasurer lying through his teeth?

So what exactly does this all mean? I mean, I expect mt will be the lib leader and the libs to win an election. So what's the expectation out of all this?

I'm not that smart, so be gentle on your explanations!

So what exactly does this all mean? I mean, I expect mt will be the lib leader and the libs to win an election. So what's the expectation out of all this?

I'm not that smart, so be gentle on your explanations!

If a double dissolution, all senate seats instead of just half are declared vacant and we vote for all 76 senate seats (12 seats for each state, 2 for each territory).

Usually senators are on 6 year terms, half go to election each second general election. Senators with the most votes get the first seats which will be 6 years terms, those voted in 7 - 12th position will get 3 years terms.

Beyond that, it's a vote same as any other one. I expect both major parties to be on the nose and have the lowest primary and informal vote of any election - which hopefully will be a wake up call to both. Overall though I expect if a clear govt is formed, the pendulum effect will see Labor back in power, possibly with a greens coalition (sarcastic Yeah)

If either party get the most seats, then you would expect Bill or Mal to get the top job and form government, however both parties are required to elect a new leader from the members elected so anything could happen, if Tones has the numbers for example he could theoretically steal the job right after the election. Tones or any other member of the libs can throw their hat in the ring at any point for the leadership and therefore the PM role up until the election. Anyone in Labor can do the same to replace Bill if they can sort through the convulated process that Kev put in place.

Let's hope we get some good independents throw their hats in the ring.

So i guess ill be the one to say it....

BOTP was right. Mally T hasnt changed any of the policies of the Abbott govt, and appears to be running a constantly moving, captains pick game of politics with support from the conservative nuts within the Libs...

Mally T challenged Abbott because, as he said on the day, Abbott wasnt giving a clear direction or providing the economic leadership necessary.....

But it appears Turnbull has also failed in making any type of headway in economic direction. Any discussion of tax reform or economic issues appears to becoming from the ALP, with the Libs simply shooting down any type of reform.

Mal told us 'everything is on the table' in the tax reform debate, before pulling bits off the table here and there ...

And now after taking the top job on the back of promises to provide economic leadership, Turnbull is calling an election that he will fight on the primary issue if the Building Commission.

His press conferenece didnt mention economic issues..... have they all been solved...?!?

Edited by TryTriB4Forty

Truffles has called for another 3 week sitting of Parliament with only one item on the agenda.

The Senate will rage, cross benchers will raise their profile considerably by grandstanding every day and the House of Reps will twiddle their fingers whilst the government dithers to nothing.

What a vacuum. Labor will put up a bunch of ideas every day, only for Pyne to gag debate - claiming no doubt 'important business' & then adjourn the house. The amount of invention required to NOT bring on the Same Sex Marriage bill for a vote will be breathtaking!

Nature abhors a vacuum and those three weeks will give TAbbott three more weeks to 'not snipe, not wreck' Truffles' leadership. Three weeks for Cory Bernadi etc to show off their 1950s vision for Australia! Three weeks for the Credlin-Savva war to rage (Peta apparently is going to be given a gig on Sky as well, lol). In short, three weeks for Libspill3.0! Oh what an exciting time it is to be alive indeed!

• roxii changed the title to The Politics Thread