Did my Cert IV in training and assessment in late 2007. Have been in a part time training role up till 18 months ago and then moved into a fulltime training role.

I hadn't noticed that the Cert IV had been changed from TAA...... to now TAE.....

My question is do I need to update my Cert IV to the new one to maintain my training and assessment qualifications? Seems like a lot of money to just get an RPL for it. Around the $800 mark upwards. Does it make much difference to just have the TAA qualification?

thommo

My question is do I need to update my Cert IV to the new one to maintain my training and assessment qualifications?

What area of training are you working in?

If you want to deliver

nationally accredited vocational training in TAFEs, private and enterprise based registered training organisations as well as in secondary schools with vocational programs, then you will need the

latest Cert IV.

Only going to be a problem if you change employers, or need to take on new clients who would need to check your qualification. Once you get your foot in the door, it's rare that unless one of these scenarios pops up in most employment that you would be asked to provide updated details (other than first aid quals). I work with alot of people who did their degrees 30+ years ago and I know most of them have done very little qualification upgrades in that time.

$800 though, if really a concern get your employer to pay for it, most of them spend more than that on a day of 'team building'

I work in a large metro TAFE in Melbs and we expect everyone to have updated or be in the process of updating by mid 2013.

For those with a current taa or bsz able to just do an update. We provide the training as PD at no cost staff wether ongoing or sessional.

Cheers,

Conor