Mooloolaba 70.3??

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure which is best re: mass start or waves. I suppose there'd be arguments for either. 1795 (per accepted list) in one mass start would be pretty full on I'd imagine, especially over just 1.9km. O

If you want to "enter" a mate go ahead. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

yeah OK, I'm a d*ckhead. I'm too lazy to actually train, let alone to scroll back a page to see if anyone's beaten me to it

BOOM! Sunshine Coast Council has given the green light for a new 70.3 race in 2013 ... Mooloolaba. Late Sept/Oct. What do you reckon? Brilliant or just plain awesome? We got nothing more than that but it's a pretty good start!

Quote from Aussie Triathletes Facebook page

With a couple of mates wanting to step up the distance next year I would have said yours. But with them not having to be budget conscious at all, and liking the whole big name thing I'd say we'd be at Mool if it's on next year. Sorry downsey. But will it have that much of an effect on your race with your limited numbers?

Will that impact the Hervey Bay 100?

Over $300 for a 70.3 at Mool in Oct, or around $150 for a 100km race in H/Bay in November?

Which would you do?

If I was doing Busso like I am this year I would choose M'ba sorry

With a couple of mates wanting to step up the distance next year I would have said yours. But with them not having to be budget conscious at all, and liking the whole big name thing I'd say we'd be at Mool if it's on next year. Sorry downsey. But will it have that much of an effect on your race with your limited numbers?

Goughy, we've gone fro 70 last year to 350 this year. No reason why we wouldn't have expected 500 or 600 next year. Big impact when you're talking to potential sponsors and working out budgets.

Awesome. Great venue too for families. Hope the ride isn't the sunshine motorway x2 and a bit...

Any word on hen it will be official?

As much as I love Mooloolaba OD, 90km on the motorway would do my head in. One of the main attractions we've really pushed with the 100 is the 100km of absolute ocean front racing. Looks like we'll have to get the marketing machine in motion straight away.

Over $300 for a 70.3 at Mool in Oct, or around $150 for a 100km race in H/Bay in November?

Which would you do?

both

Hervey Bay does have one ot the best bike courses around, prob second to cairns imho

I should know, the speed i travel i get plenty of time check it out.

If HerveyBay council hotmixed the northern section it would be one of fastest.

It's already crazy fast the way it is.

And if the Hundy and Mooloolaba are 3 weeks apart then I would think a lot of people would race both especially if the Hundy remains a budget race the way it is now.

If HerveyBay council hotmixed the northern section it would be one of fastest.

They hotmixed the top of Gataker's Hill for us this year. The road around Gataker's Bay was tar and gravelled a month or so ago as well. There's new hotmix from Beach Rd roundabout up to the nursing home.

I have it on good authority that the Gables bend will be closed and completely rebuilt sometime early next year. It may impact on the OD race in May, but that corner has been rough and broken for as long as I've lived in the Bay, so some new hotmix there would be very nice.

I'm keen to see where the ride would go. Other than the Sun'coast Motor Way I can't think where.

I just can't see the motor way being shut down for 4 plus hours for another event. They already have the Mool tri and I think a cycle race that shuts the road down.

I'm keen to see where the ride would go. Other than the Sun'coast Motor Way I can't think where.

I just can't see the motor way being shut down for 4 plus hours for another event. They already have the Mool tri and I think a cycle race that shuts the road down.

Is Nicklin Way an option? Other than that, I can't see where they'd have it either

The facebook scoop says late sept or early oct so might be 6 to 8 weeks between 70.3 and 100, i don't think one would have a neg effect on the other, might even give the 100 more entries and appeal. I would think Yeppoon would be more concerned

• Like 1

I think a 70.3 at Mba would be much simpler to arrange on the same course as the OD because the numbers of participants would be greatly reduced (halved) and the road closures would not be much longer. Given the reduced number of waves, they could start opposite the surf club as they used to in the early days, which would make it more spectator friendly.

Say 1400 entrants, at least 7 waves of 200?

Sunrise at 13th Oct is 5:30 ish.

Pros away at 5:30 onto the bike around 6.

Last AG onto the bike by approx 7.

Last bike off the course at 11.

Question I would have for HIM course using the existing OD course is getting the right distance?

If you extend further north,do you cut off more exits?

If you do a couple of laps on the existing course, managing the loop around the on\off ramp could be difficult, especially as the Pros would be finishing their first lap as a bunch of AG come onto the course.

Which would you do?

Hervey Bay 100.

• 1/2 the entry fee,

• 1/3 the accom,

• 2* the friendly,

• hard to say how much nicer the course is - it just is (Mool OD is boring & contrived enough)

Tell WTC (USM div.) to run a full IM on the Sunny Coast or not to bother at all.

Edited by Tired

All the main parties have agreed. Just waiting on contracts to be signed. Should be announced in next week or two.

Who is likely to announce it? - USM, Sunshine Coast Council or QLD Events. Maybe we could bring back Anna Bligh for the launch!

would they have it at the rowing centre at Kawana? good spot for transition, plenty of double lane roads around, easy to plan a run course.

somehow they need to put a bit more waterfront into the bike, yep it is not a scenic tour its a race, but i would rather be looking at the ocean than the motorway.

i think yepoon might struggle not the hundy. why flog through winter training for yepoon when you could start a bit later and do 70.3 Mool and then the hundy. will be interesting if the HOTW see a drop in numbers.

Still reckon IM Sunshine Coast would be huge- i can only but dream

I will always do the Hundy and Gundy as my first for the season.

Hundy cause its at home.

Gundy cause its different and miles away.

Cant see the need to spend 6 million dollars going to Mool in accom and traffic and stuff to race when can go there any other day as its only 2 hours down the road.

Is it a coincidence that USM put a race of the same distance on the same time Hervey Bay put a race on? Its happened twice now, first the OD and now the Long Course.

Hey I know, lets put a Hundy 200 on and see what happens..

Nick, start preps now..

**SCOOP** Hundy 200 probably be same weekend as Noosa..