Improving hill climbing

Clydesdale

One other question to everyone. When doing these hill repeats am I better of putting it into whatever gear and getting to the top as fast as possible or a bigger gear and climb up slower but obviously give the legs a bigger workout?

One other question to everyone. When doing these hill repeats am I better of putting it into whatever gear and getting to the top as fast as possible or a bigger gear and climb up slower but obviously give the legs a bigger workout?

Whatever cadence you are comfortable with, it doesn't really matter.

Why don't you go and do 10 or so repeats of Anderson street at the tan. It's relatively quiet (well, relative to punt road at least :lol:) and only a hop, skip and a jump away from St Kilda - short, but sharp enough to put some real work into your legs. You will find it might relax your eyes, also. :)

You can even work your way up through the list of Strava KOM wannabes and benchmark your strength against Melbournes social network community...

Why don't you go and do 10 or so repeats of Anderson street at the tan.

Too short with too many parked cars and the potential dooring possibilities that comes with the cars...

Good 600m long short sharp hill I use is Kooyongkoot rd from Reserve rd to the crest just before Crossakiel crt. Nice consistent gradient!

This climb is just next to the Hawthorn velodrome which is a good option for 2*20's - although it isn't exactly level so speed fluctuates over the intervals per lap and is therefore a little more challenging to keep in the right power range.

Not far back into the city along the Gardiners creek bike path to the Yarra Boulevard, also good for some flatter intervals.

Power ouput is what drives adaptations, not the gearing. Ride to an effort level and choose a gear that feels right. Nothing wrong with experimenting though, adds variety, but big gear climbs are no magic bullet, just another way to work hard.

Archived