2012 Kona Lottery Winners

Draw is out.

Interestingly Fabian Bali is off again.

Previously won the lottery in 1996 I think.

Also our own Newman has also scored a spot. Congratz Newman.

http://ironman.com/e...s#axzz1s8d690Tq

Only people from NS or QLD got spots.

When I saw it, the first thing I thought was the story Shane Smith told in NZ, about how Fabian was hoping that there was a fast food shop still open in Taupo, because he wanted to eat a whole chicken.. :)

I said to my GF "You'll never guess who got a lottery spot for Hawaii".

Her response.. "You're kidding!"

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Mrs did a cupcake decorating course on the weekend, so she knocked these up yesterday for Big Chris (gluten free too for the Big Man)     Hope WTC dont see this

Yay, Big Chris!!   Congrats mate, a dream come true.

did jason shortis enter?  

Great to see one of the lads from our club get one - he and his wife worked their buts off for 9 hours straight on the IM Melbourne aid station. Congrats Ian!! :)

Ian Scott by any chance? Lived just down the road from me before I moved. Couldn't be happier for the guy - although he did have a go at me for walking through that aid station :)

thats fantastic especially for guys like BC+ Mr Flower who have gone so so close and really have tried very hard for a lot of years despite not being physically that well suited for IM distance triathlon.

as for people like Bali- I reckon once you've had a lottery trip you shouldn't get another one- especially when you dont make any effort towards being a regular participant/show much interest at all. There are too many guys/girls who are pretty good but still havent cracked it that should have a pick first dont you reckon?

it sure is painful watching some of the community/lottery people go round at the world champs- i'd back some of the people off biggest looser ahead of them. None of the guys here fall into that category they will all give it a good shot

Ian Scott by any chance? Lived just down the road from me before I moved. Couldn't be happier for the guy - although he did have a go at me for walking through that aid station :)

Bingo! With people like Ian on the Aid station it was a real pleasure, Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! :)

• Like 1

Nah you are wrong.

In an interview with IMTALK the WTC CEO said they would start with the people that had done the most.

Also see next post from Leon

And I believe this should be the way it's done too. Someone that had done 12 getting in and someone who had done 22 missing out would be poor.

Happy for you to prove me wrong.

Anyway, as long as you all get a slot, that's the main thing.

Hi Pete. I believe I am proving you wrong :): I just got selected for Kona as IronJimbo pointed out. (thanks IronmanJimbo/Shivman)

As I originally said the Legacy is a lottery and you only had to submit "only' 12 events. If anyone got a letter from WTC saying they had to list them all in an email it was because there online formatting was ou of kilta (out of whack and they could not reconcile the online listing).

Anyway.... the legacy lottery is a lottery. I only submitted 12 races despite having down 17.

Thank goodness the world is safe again.

Aloha!!!!

• Like 1

So whats the list?

Big Chris

Mr Flower

Plugga

Coffs Pete

...any others

Enjoy the journey fellas, do Transitions proud.

Big Chris

Mr Flower

Plugga

Coffs Pete

IronmanFoz (17 Ironmans)

Mark Fiore

The List:

Big Chris

Mr Flower

Plugga

Coffs Pete

IronmanFoz (17 Ironmans)

Mark Fiore

POT,

and yes, you guessed it.............Dave T.

Absolutely stoked.

Have been receiving congrats texts all morning. Will make training through a Melbourne winter worthwhile for a change.

:clap::clapping::clapping:

• Like 1
congratulations everyone

AP

Thanks Nicki Heat - it'll be good to follow everyone's journey - Plugga will have to revisit a few old sessions he used to do :shocking:

The List:

Big Chris

Coffs Pete

Dave T.

IronmanFoz (17 Ironmans)

Mark Fiore

Mr Flower

Plugga

POT,

The envey of many. Congrats guys, 2 opportunities to party, now (for a little bit) and when you've crossed the finish line in Kona.

Congratulations everyone! It looks like the "man-cave" in my house is now going to be re-decorated in a Hawaiian theme :smile1:. As long as I get to prepare for October by watching the Descendants over winter, I'll be happy!!!!

I have had the pleasure of racking my bike a couple of times next to Big Chris. You will not meet a more enthusastic guy. In my first IM, he offered me assistance and reassurance on the morning of the race and again out on the run.

Looks like the Karma gods have rewarded him.

Yes - Port IM - Number 19 in a row.

AP - I miss ringing your bell on the hill !!!!!

Trannies - Thanks for all the good wishes and words.

I get to enjoy Kona at a ripe age of 56, I was thinking one day in the future I would finally qualifly- like first 95 year old !!!

BC

Bingo! With people like Ian on the Aid station it was a real pleasure, Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! :)

Say hi and congrats to him from Steve when you see him next. Couple of years ago he was telling me he'd converted his bathroom into a heat room for the wind trainer sessions ahead of WA to try and get used to the heat - bet that went down well at home!

Hi Pete. I believe I am proving you wrong :): I just got selected for Kona as IronJimbo pointed out. (thanks IronmanJimbo/Shivman)

As I originally said the Legacy is a lottery and you only had to submit "only' 12 events. If anyone got a letter from WTC saying they had to list them all in an email it was because there online formatting was ou of kilta (out of whack and they could not reconcile the online listing).

Anyway.... the legacy lottery is a lottery. I only submitted 12 races despite having down 17.

Thank goodness the world is safe again.

Aloha!!!!

Congratulations mate

You're one of the people who first got me interested in this Ironman caper all those years ago, so Mrs IJ and I are chuffed for you

That said, don't be giving me any 'I was only validating' shit when I kick your arse in Port :P

Yes - Port IM - Number 19 in a row.

AP - I miss ringing your bell on the hill !!!!!

Trannies - Thanks for all the good wishes and words.

I get to enjoy Kona at a ripe age of 56, I was thinking one day in the future I would finally qualifly- like first 95 year old !!!

BC

I hear the 19th one is always the toughest BigC. After that they give you a lift to the finish line.

Oh god, I'm doing Steno's jokes... How low can a man sink.

You have got to be kidding me, is that Fabian Bali the "bigs Fabs"?

PeePee will have to brush off his 'Fabs story', that's worth the price of a cup of coffee :)

Congrats to all. I noticed only one guy from UK on the regular lottery, quite a few on Legacy.

Wow, what a successful lottery for Trannies. Congratulations all, I'm not envious... much!

I'm now trying to work out an itinerary that'll let me do IM Wales, celebrate my 50th with the oldies in the UK and then return home via Hawaii to give Coffs Pete a big man hug again during the run and recon for the year I eventually qualify, or be first reserve for IronmanFoz, if he pulls it out on race day ( do you think anyone would notice the difference between the two Fozs?).

• Like 1

The best thing about this is the overwhelming approval of everyone. Congrats folks - super happy for you all, particularly BC and Coffs Pete.

There are haters. You'll see their thoughts over the next 6 months. They leak out over time. Shame. Who gives a rats arse how people get to kona.

• Like 1

Can you imagine how long Coffs pete is going to be spending in the finish chute? Im guessing he will do a pb up until the last 100m then spend at least 3 hours running up and down cheering and having a party.

Just dont throw your shoes this time Pete. I wanna see you cross the line at 16:59:59

Can you imagine how long Coffs pete is going to be spending in the finish chute? Im guessing he will do a pb up until the last 100m then spend at least 3 hours running up and down cheering and having a party.

Just dont throw your shoes this time Pete. I wanna see you cross the line at 16:59:59

Thanks Rattie, I may have completed 22 IMs, but I have had at least 150 extra finishes along those finish chutes. IMWA seems to always have good memories for me, like last year waiting for my old motorcycle racing mate from 1973, Hans from Melbourne, and being called across the line by Pete Jacobs, and then telling him I wasn't finishing until Hans arrived. The year before in IMWA, I just took off my shoe and threw it onto the finish line and there was a massive blackout for several minutes, stopping the clock, counter, videos etc etc. Too many finishes for 22 IMs, but I feel so much better at the end. And it isn't as if the Trannie cheer squad, who have finished hours before me and then come out and waited for my finish(es), don't urge me on and get in on the act also.

Anyway, Rattie, you may have the fastest T2 at Cairns, but I have the most (and longest) finishes in most IMs. Thanks for your support. Maybe, you should come over to Hawaii and be part of the act? I see you have 'sub 10' for Port 2012...what have you got for Cairns 2012? Or, will that be announced on the bus on Sunday morning, just like last year, promising everyone there that if you didn't do the fastest T2 then there would be beers all round for everyone!!!

Thanks to everyone for their best wishes and support. I would like to take a little bit of you all with me to Kona. So, I'm asking you to put your initials on my Trannie cap, that I will, of course, be wearing across the finish line (hopefully) in October. So, at Club Champs at Forster in 2 weeks time, or Port Mac IM in 3 weeks or Cairns IM in 7 weeks, just come up and put your moniker on my Trannie hat, which is a commemorative Green Machine cap too.

IM Family is great, but the Trannie Family is even better. Thanks again!

There are haters. You'll see their thoughts over the next 6 months. They leak out over time. Shame. Who gives a rats arse how people get to kona.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing as both of you guys.

It will be interesting to see how people who have got a lottery spot approach this race - I mean according to some it defines you as person & for others it's just about going over & having a great time.

I think last year Goody used Kona as his B race & Busso as his A race. Correct me if I'm wrong Goody.

After 22 IM races - I would make sure I enjoyed the day as much as possible.

Happy to be in due to the lottery, getting closer each year with less spots to grab.. 11 IM's done with Port, Cairns and 70.3 Japan to come this year.

Promise I will not be a BOP in Kona!!!

Happy days!!!

Hi all from a cold wet Dublin. For those who don't know the story I was told that I needed to get my arse to Europe for a business meeting on the Monday night after Ironman Melbourne. It meant I had to catch a flight at midnight after finishing IM Melbourne at about 5:30. Luckily I had a pretty good race (10:10). I was unable to stay for Kona rollodown so I was pretty pissed when someone told me I had finished 8th in my age group. In a funny way I was glad to come 13th when the official results came out.

Anyway, been on the road for 4 weeks meeting clients and working hard. Had not thought about Kona and the lottery until Peter sent me a note and then told me I had got a spot via the Legacy program (16 Ironmans). Must say I was pretty excited last night. May even have a pint of guiness tonight to celebrate.

Thanks for everyone's support and well wishes. It does mean alot. I know that AP thinks I should have qualified on my own terms. I think I have given it a good shot. My times have come down from well over 11 hours to 10:10. Everyone time I get a PB, the qualifying times get 10 minutes quicker. I am not complaining, as I understand that is just a case of the sport maturing. Whilst I have now hit the 50 age group I think the age groups 40-44 and 45-49 have more depth and are substantially quicker now than they were 10 years ago. I have talked to PP about this. We call it the wave effect and I know the peak of the wave is behind me. Thus, I think the Legacy program is great for those who are dedicated to the sport, but just can't crack the big one.

Anyway, the best thing I have got out of this sport is the friends. Kona will be a great experience and I am going to enjoy myself in the leadup and also on race day, no matter what the conditions are. However, that is going to be nothing compared to the friends I have made in this sport. They have saved my life.

Thanks again to everyone.

And as for the list of people going to Kona, Mr Flower is Mark Fiore.

• Like 1
And as for the list of people going to Kona, Mr Flower is Mark Fiore.

congratulations Mark, you're so close to qualifying anyway - you would have made it - make this one a scouting trip - do a bit of a recon. you'll get there again :smile1:

I've said it before and I'll say it again-It's a raffle. Would you not accept your raffle prize cause you didn't 'earn' it. Congratulations to all of you.

I heard this morning that Warren Kearns - a guy from Brisbane whose done more than 20 IM races and has always dreamed of getting to Hawaii has got a spot - he'd had a dodgy knee - a dodgy ankle - we used to joke with him and tell him to get the leg amputated and he'd qualify straight away in the amputees section :shy:

Well he's apparently got his chance - most triathletes in Brisbane know Wazza :smile1:

My Mrs did a cupcake decorating course on the weekend, so she knocked these up yesterday for Big Chris (gluten free too for the Big Man)

2407450530101159333S600x600Q85.jpg

Hope WTC dont see this :lol:

• Like 4

WTC will love it - this is a WTC good news story - where are the haters now :shy:

Probably grumbling about not being able the wheel their grannies down the finish shute - or the size of the bidons - :scared:

AP, 3 pages back you were talking about people too soft to qualify because they walk through aid stations, fluff training sessions and are too weak mentally and physically to qualify and now you're talking about grumbling and haters?

Where do you really stand on the legacy policy? Many people who will finally realise their dreams at the big dance this year have spent many years doing all the things you seem to despise.

I walk through aid stations - it's a strategy

I'm still trying to figure out what you're looking for - if it's attention, post under your real name - it's not Ray Coon is it :scared: What do you stand for?

Although I was lucky enough to grab a legacy spot I would have much preferred to qualify through the normal process. I've been close a couple of times but not quite good enough. Hoping once I experience Kona it will give me the incentive to train harder and maybe get back there on my own merit.