Jump to content

Best kick-ass songs of all time


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, goughy said:

One of my favourite Stones songs, and probably one of my favourites period!  I love the start; the guitar sound is gorgeous.  Richards ended up playing an Aussie Maton guitar on the recording, that someone who was crashing at his place (he can't remember who) left behind.  

I'm not a Stones fan but years ago on here I started a thread about what your favourite intro was, and Gimmee Shelter was mine. (I can take or leave the rest of the song).  There was a guy on here called 'Hippo' something, and he played a bit and that was his favourite intro as well IIRC.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saw them more times than I can remember. One of the first concerts I went to was the Angels, gotta love the value of that gig!   

As of Saturday evening I would say the Richmond Football Club Song...

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

Thought I’d share this here. Brisbane’s MMM radio station has been running a listener poll on the GOAT artist/group, and revealing one each day. Only 2 to go. Knowing this station’s main audience (30 - 60) I’m thinking Queen 2nd and AC/DC 1st. But then that would leave KISS right out of the top 20 which surprises me. No sing of MJ either. Some of them are hard to fathom ie Stones 10 & Beatles 8 WTF , but apparently it’s what their listeners voted for.

52F66AD0-07E3-4EC1-BB9B-ACD13335C3F5.jpeg

That's tricky with only two spots remaining.

Obviously the three correct answers are Yes, King Crimson and Emerson Lake & Palmer.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Where's The Who!  Dire Straits? Billy Joel?  Aerosmith?  Mark Lizotte?

It is an aussie list, but I reckon there are some aussie bands that shouldn't be on that list (wash your mouth out!!!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's largely a particular age (and most probably gender and socio-economic) demographic, that listens to a particular radio station that has spun a limited and repetitive playlist for many decades, voting for their favourite bands.

Hardly GOAT by any objective measures. Especially as musical tastes and preference are so subjective anyway.

Though I reckon Dave Grohl would choke on his corn flakes at the thought of Foo Fighters being considered a greater band than Zeppelin.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Though I reckon Dave Grohl would choke on his corn flakes at the thought of Foo Fighters being considered a greater band than Zeppelin.

Agree.

Not even sure how Foo Fighters make that list.  Nor Jimmy Barnes alone - Cold Chisel, yes.  I never thought Metallica were that outstanding in the metal world either, esp. against the likes of Judas Priest vocals & guitar skills.

ACDC, could easily live with them as #1 in the Bon Scott era.

How about the power of that womans voice in Gimme Shelter - brilliant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Agree.

Not even sure how Foo Fighters make that list.  Nor Jimmy Barnes alone - Cold Chisel, yes.  I never thought Metallica were that outstanding in the metal world either, esp. against the likes of Judas Priest vocals & guitar skills.

ACDC, could easily live with them as #1 in the Bon Scott era.

How about the power of that womans voice in Gimme Shelter - brilliant.

Judas Priest were not particularly skilled in the guitar or vocals dept really. Not in any stand out way, Hammett, IMO outplays Tipton and Downing, especially with the 'Rhodes'esque' use of double stop.  The timing changes alone from Metallica make JP look one dimensional.

A better comparo would be Iron Maiden to Metallica.

Bon Scott;s voice was amazing and indeed a stand out and instantly as recognisable as Chris Cornell's but whilst AC/DC are everyones favourite Aussie party band, apart from a couple of stand out arrangements, the bands above are in a different league really.

Being popular and being truly skilful and multi-dimensional are two different things. If they weren't, we'd all be listening to Mike Kineally and Justin Chancellor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/06/2020 at 10:56 PM, Paul Every said:

It's largely a particular age (and most probably gender and socio-economic) demographic, that listens to a particular radio station that has spun a limited and repetitive playlist for many decades, voting for their favourite bands.

Hardly GOAT by any objective measures. Especially as musical tastes and preference are so subjective anyway.

Though I reckon Dave Grohl would choke on his corn flakes at the thought of Foo Fighters being considered a greater band than Zeppelin.

Yes that list obviously reflects the station’s audience.
I noted that between all those bands and solo artists (over 75 musicians) there isn’t a single female.

 

C9192DCC-455A-4A82-8E96-4E1475D4FBA8.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember seeing this on the TV many, many years ago and having a genuinely religious experience. 

He'd been laying low for a few years then this popped up -  I'd witnessed the return of God... 

 

Bonus points to anyone who can name the bass player in the clip :)

Edited by PeterW
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Bonus points to anyone who can name the bass player in the clip :)

Before I watched the clip I was going to say Nathan East ( because he's a regular band member), but it's not him, so....

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Before I watched the clip I was going to say Nathan East ( because he's a regular band member), but it's not him, so....

Think Jake, Elwood, Matt "Guitar" Murphy...

Steve "the Colonel" Cropper, "Blue Lou" Marini, Tom "Bones" Malone...

 

Edited by PeterW
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's been few concert experiences better than watching Chris Squire prowl the stage with his Rickenbacker bass, his notes dribbling and oozing like honey.

It's now five years since his passing. :rip:

This was recorded around the time when Yes played Australia for the first time in 30 years. My brother and I had been desperately wanting to see them for about 25 years. When you anticipate something for such a long time, invariably there's some level of disappointment when it doesn't match your expectations. That concert certainly didn't disappoint.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

There's been few concert experiences better than watching Chris Squire prowl the stage with his Rickenbacker bass, his notes dribbling and oozing like honey.

It's now five years since his passing. :rip:

This was recorded around the time when Yes played Australia for the first time in 30 years. My brother and I had been desperately wanting to see them for about 25 years. When you anticipate something for such a long time, invariably there's some level of disappointment when it doesn't match your expectations. That concert certainly didn't disappoint.

 

 

Another Yes fan here. Lucky enough to see them on their first Australian tour.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Paul Every said:

There's been few concert experiences better than watching Chris Squire prowl the stage with his Rickenbacker bass, his notes dribbling and oozing like honey.

It's now five years since his passing. :rip:

 

@Paul, I saw them at Newcastle City Hall (The UK one) in 81 for the Drama tour. The drama was Trevor Horn was atrocious (though he might have been sick?) and Chris was bailing him out, taking on the lead vocal, on a lot of the songs during the concert. Amazed I can still remember that.

I'm spewing that Rush never toured Australia. I might have reconsidered my emigration to Australia had I known I was moving into a Rush black hole (pardon Cygnus the pun) 😁

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, fiftyplus said:

Another Yes fan here. Lucky enough to see them on their first Australian tour.

When was that? I'm guessing around the time Topographic Oceans?

I feel genuinely pleased for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, iFoz said:

@Paul, I saw them at Newcastle City Hall (The UK one) in 81 for the Drama tour. The drama was Trevor Horn was atrocious (though he might have been sick?) and Chris was bailing him out, taking on the lead vocal, on a lot of the songs during the concert. Amazed I can still remember that.

I'm spewing that Rush never toured Australia. I might have reconsidered my emigration to Australia had I known I was moving into a Rush black hole (pardon Cygnus the pun) 😁

I think most of Yes' music would have really pushed Horn's vocal range. There's very few vocalists who naturally sing like Jon Anderson.

Drama was a way better album than I ever expected it to be. Squire really delivered on Tempus Fugit and Does It Really Happen?

I still remember prior to Drama's release, the day a school friend informed me.........well heckled really....... "The Buggles are joining YES!" "Bullshit! F*ck off!" I was incredulous. :surprise:

I'm totally with you about Rush. For such a talented and commercially successful band in much of the world, they never really cracked the market or garnered any radio play in Australia.

I would have loved to have seem them. Reputedly one of the great live bands.

I missed them by a day a couple of times when traveling around the States in 2007. I saw the billboards on the interstate when we were driving past Salt Lake City on the way from Bryce Canyon to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Then again a few weeks later on the strip in Vegas after arriving from the Grand Canyon.

Brilliant holiday, but there was obviously one thing I didn't factor in. :sadwalk:

 

 

 

Edited by Paul Every
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Paul Every said:

When was that? I'm guessing around the time Topographic Oceans?

I feel genuinely pleased for you.

I wasn’t sure, but after some research on Wikipedia it was the “Close to the Edge” tour in March 1973 at the Hordern Pavilion.

I saw so many great shows there.

Edited by fiftyplus
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 17/06/2020 at 9:19 PM, Mike Del said:

Thought I’d share this here. Brisbane’s MMM radio station has been running a listener poll on the GOAT artist/group, and revealing one each day. Only 2 to go. Knowing this station’s main audience (30 - 60) I’m thinking Queen 2nd and AC/DC 1st. But then that would leave KISS right out of the top 20 which surprises me. No sing of MJ either. Some of them are hard to fathom ie Stones 10 & Beatles 8 WTF , but apparently it’s what their listeners voted for.

52F66AD0-07E3-4EC1-BB9B-ACD13335C3F5.jpeg

I'm really late to this obviously, but I'm lodging a protest. Where is Pearl Jam?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Not a kick ass song by any means but I stumbled across this song last night and it made my weekend. 
Im not a huge missy higgins fan and often thought she sung other peoples songs better than some of her own. 
That’s the caes here it’s a Perry Keyes song, a Sydney songwriter who’s writes some pretty good songs of suburbia, the original is a bit of a slow song. Missy has cranked it up and made it like a singalong track that I can’t stop smiling listening too.,

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...