Help Please!!!!!!!! I'm going to k

Just noticed the topic was cut off - it was "Help please!! I'm going to kill that bird!!"

Probably only QLD'ers can help with this as I don't think these birds are found much further south. We have a Storm Bird (Koel) living in the back yard. It's call is so loud and it calls from 2am EVERY DAY!!!!!! I wear ear plugs and also run the airconditioner to try and kill the noise, but it is not helping. The lack of sleep is seriously driving me crazy!! I have to get up and go to work every morning and I am exhausted!!!

Apparently they call from October to March. I have always heard them but have never had one that calls all night. Any suggestions would be greatly received ...... I will not survive this until March!!!

For those who don't know what Storm Bird sounds like ..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObwGd64yTTs

Edit to say that yes.... we have gone out to the back yard at 2 am and 3am to chase it away. It is back within 5 minutes :(

Edited by Cupcake

Cuppie, we have them in Sydney along with kookaburras and all sorts of nasties. The 4am dawn chorus.

I found some kid's ear putty at the chemist, bright pink and softer than the adult version, moulded nicely into the ear and did a much better job than anything else. Or noise-cancelling ear buds??

In terms of killing the bugger, what do they eat? Selective poisoning?

We've had them here this year too, I'd never heard them before. At first I thought there were kids out in the street playing with a bull-roarer (at 2am) and went out to yell at them. A neighbour later told me it was birds.

You have to destroy any nests they have built, so that they won't come back.

That and a slingshot.

Koels don't build nests. Like most cuckoo species, they are parasitic, laying their eggs (usually one) in other birds' nests. Magpie larks (peewees), friar birds and orioles are common host species, having eggs of simialr size and colour.

It is the male that you hear calling to attract the female, so even if you were to vindictively take out the nests of host species, that isn't going to change the male koel's drive to attract a mate.

For me, the call of the koel's call is one of the sounds of spring. I love hearing them at night, along with plovers, flying foxes and frogs. I find it comforting that there is still room for some adaptable species in man's heavily modified environment.

And yes, I am a heavy sleeper.

Edited by Paul Every

Cuppie, we have them in Sydney along with kookaburras and all sorts of nasties. The 4am dawn chorus.

I found some kid's ear putty at the chemist, bright pink and softer than the adult version, moulded nicely into the ear and did a much better job than anything else. Or noise-cancelling ear buds??

In terms of killing the bugger, what do they eat? Selective poisoning?

Koels are fruit eaters, so no, you can't selectively poison. You would have to target every fig and lillipilli tree in the suburb, which also provide food for possums and flying foxes.

Kookaburras are nasty? If you don't want to hear a morning chorus, it is time to move to the centre of the city and away from the leafy suburbs.

I don't so much mind the morning chorus Paul - you are right, I choose to live in a leafy area and we live on 3/4 acre. It's just that this bloody bird starts at 2am and won't shut up (although as I write this at 4:45 pm it has actually stopped!!). I am a really light sleeper and the noise they make is SO SO SO loud!!!! It is driving me crazy!

Invaded the nsw south coast as well now...time to buy a gun :angry:

Yep...it's that time of the year. We get them in Bodalla too and have learned to live with them. Not to mention the Channel Billed Cuckoo that arrives from the north and adds to the noise.

Ahh...the serenity. Better than a siren, car horns or pissed people coming home from the pub!

• Like 1

You think that's bad - you should hear the teradactyl that comes screaming around our place at 3am. :shock:

The other morning I actually got up to see if I could spot this beast - only to see a tiny little possum sitting on the electricity wire!!! I could not believe the sound the was coming out of something so small!!! :shocking:

:dolphin:

I don't so much mind the morning chorus Paul - you are right, I choose to live in a leafy area and we live on 3/4 acre. It's just that this bloody bird starts at 2am and won't shut up (although as I write this at 4:45 pm it has actually stopped!!). I am a really light sleeper and the noise they make is SO SO SO loud!!!! It is driving me crazy!

Ommmmm.......embrace the screach......ommmmm........ :sleeping:

Sorry. I have no other suggestions.

Mrs Cake

I had a similar problem with a horny male opossum chasing his girly friends by cussing outside my bed room window. (i first thought it was someone with breathing difficulties).

the solution was to lay bread out near where he sits (on roof) every night, slowly introduce some tomato sauce on it till he got used to that, and just when he was about to ask where the bbq sausage is..........................................................................................................

...............................................................................................................................

.........................................................................................................

I left him the bread and hot chilli sauce!!

never saw him again!!

Or You could do what an 'ironman' friend of mine did with their first born.

When the baby started crying he got up like any good dad does.

wifey dear stayed asleep (as usual)

20 minutes later when baby was still crying wifey got up to help to find dad & running gear long gorn!

I found out 8 years later after 10 IM's & three kids he had only EVER changed three nappies!

Good luck Lisa

...................................................................................

Shoot the f**ker. My wife said it's not attracting her. She is sick of that little turd that calls outside our window at dawn's crack.

We went away last weekend to Wisemans Ferry and the little warbler followed us (well, a cousin anyway). The missus yells out "go a FN away". I think the neighbours think she is talking to me.

Sydney-ite. We suffer too.

FM

Well, even if I can't get rid of the evil thing at least I know I'm not suffering alone!!! Who'd thought such a shy bird could have such a huge bloody impact!!!! Thanks for the sympathy guys!!

Rod.....hi stranger!! Hope all is well with you! :)