Kona Lottery

I think it's the Kona Lottery draw tomorrow (15th) isn't it?

Good luck to anyone that applied* :lol:

* yes I applied, no I don't deserve it, yes I'm slow, no I don't give a crap about your opinion of the lottery :D

ETA: I do give a crap that I've spelt Kona incorrectly though :lol:

Edited by FatPom

Well done Peter

Too many yanks on the list, thank goodness they are removing the separate draws for US/non-US next year and everyone will be drawn out of the same pool.

Good step by WTC

I might enter next year :lol:

Are any of the others from this site?

That is Dayna Davidson, Duane Cadman, Paul Fowler, Chris Goodrich, Andrew Lang, Chris Quirk and of course Peter?

I am going to spectate, yes I am going to Kona, so watch out Aussies here is the number one spectator.

Love Pam

Congrats to those that got a spot. Surprised to see one of the names on the list, has previously been to Kona on their own merit, consistently wins their age group and would have an excellent chance of getting a qualifying spot. Always thought the lottery was for those that had never been to Kona or didn't think they'd be able to qualify in a race....obviously not the case, interesting.

Congrats to those that got a spot. Surprised to see one of the names on the list, has previously been to Kona on their own merit, consistently wins their age group and would have an excellent chance of getting a qualifying spot. Always thought the lottery was for those that had never been to Kona or didn't think they'd be able to qualify in a race....obviously not the case, interesting.

Are you referring to Dayna Davidson maybe? She always wins my age group - she's super fast!!

Guest Gimili

I figured it was for americans and a few token ethnics from the rest of the world. good luck to anyone that did the hard yards by signing up and paying the cash, a heap smarter than doing a few IM's if it comes off. Total respect to all and no, I didn't bother entering but admire those who do and earn their spots the risky but smart way.

Wow congratulations Peter, you must be really excited!!!

Yeah super excited and in a bit of shock also.

Only my second year in the lottery. Figure you gotta be in it to win it.

Congratz to Goody also.

I had my phone on silent yesterday and didn't even know until after lunch that I got a spot.

Amazing given 2 people from this site got spots and only 8 spots were given to Aussies.

Edited by Peter

Well well well, we can see the claws come out now can’t we? I thought the idea of a lotto was just that, IT’S A LOTTO! Anyone can enter and anyone can win. I also like how some people ASSUME they know peoples personal situations and ASSUME they know what people can do. I know Dayna had busted herself for 4 years trying to qualify, as many people do, and did back in 2004/05. Since then she has been raising twin girls, running her own business from home and looking after her husband and it was him that bought her a ticket in the lotto as a surprise on the off chance it came off, as training for her is very limited, and it did!

I’m sure everyone has a story and if someone is LUCKY enough to get a spot, well done. It doesn’t come around every day. Tall poppy syndrome comes to mind with these types of comments

Wow, missed this thread.

Great stuff Dayna,, and Peter.

Looks like we will be seeing a bit more of Dayna over winter. Maybe her slacker husband will pull his weight and look after the twins in the morning. :lol:

Guest steamroller

Box I think you may be reading a bit too much into the comments. I didn't read it as a gripe, but rather that Valium2 wasn't aware that everyone was entitled to enter.

P.S Dayna Davison absolutely flies in races, and will beat the majority of the women home at Kona. Good luck to her.

Box I think you may be reading a bit too much into the comments. I didn't read it as a gripe, but rather that Valium2 wasn't aware that everyone was entitled to enter.

That's how I read it as well. There weren't any real claws out just someone stating what they thought.

Are you referring to Dayna Davidson maybe? She always wins my age group - she's super fast!!

One of the few girls seen in the swingin dick Sutho bunch and there at the end.... alternates days with her hubby in the bunch so one is at home caring for their twins, which deserves a medal in its own right.

Hubby aka Boxhead is a cool dude and a good athlete as well.

So is it the same rule that only the poor and impoverished can enter any lottery? So if you already have a million bucks you are not allowed to win another mill?

Sorry kids life isnt fair. Suck it up and get over it.

Gee I might enter the lottery next year, see if I can beat my previous swim/bike/power walking time of 10.53.... top 25 off the bike to 501st at the finish. Still bearing the scars 22 years later.

Obviously I came across all wrong, I too know dayna and was just surprised that's all, I know how hard she works and she totally deserves it. Apologies to anyone if this came across as tall poppy syndrom or sour grapes, absolutely not intended!

Guest steamroller

G'day T.U I don't think you do . I think it is just straight through pass go and collect $200. I had a look this year and from memory it is $40 with some other special chance draw if you pay a bit more.

On a bit of a tangent should you identify yourself as knowing someone if you stick up for them on here. Box is Dayna Davisons husband it would appear, however he didn't mention it. Disclosure: I know Valium2, as she laps me at squads but didn't declare it either. Just curious. Although don't want to hijack a well deserved congraulations for all people who got a Kona spot.

Edited to add that Trev would know more than me, and would probably be correct. There is no mention of it when you initially try and fill out the entry spot though.

Edited by steamroller
Well well well, we can see the claws come out now can’t we? I thought the idea of a lotto was just that, IT’S A LOTTO! Anyone can enter and anyone can win. I also like how some people ASSUME they know peoples personal situations and ASSUME they know what people can do. I know Dayna had busted herself for 4 years trying to qualify, as many people do, and did back in 2004/05. Since then she has been raising twin girls, running her own business from home and looking after her husband and it was him that bought her a ticket in the lotto as a surprise on the off chance it came off, as training for her is very limited, and it did!

I’m sure everyone has a story and if someone is LUCKY enough to get a spot, well done. It doesn’t come around every day. Tall poppy syndrome comes to mind with these types of comments

Whoa, don't think this was anybody's intention Box!

I'm sure everybody wishes anybody the best for Kona let alone somebody with Dayna's strength and ability. I always see her name at the top of the leader board and think how great her results are. I'm sure she'll do a great job and good luck to her.

I can confirm that Peter has never qualified for Kona....

Nor was he ever likely to.... :lol: So now he gets a chance at his dream. Congratulations mate. You piss me off, give me the shits and all that, but Kona is the holy grail for most people.

Looking forward to training thru a Melbourne winter?

Anyone got a link to the lottery for 2012? When does it open?

This is the only Ironman I would ever do again, and no I am not making this up.

Peter.... you are aware that you will need to train for this IM?

Totally aware. Even made it to swim squad this morning. First time since Busso. 5am starts for months to come.

I've been spending the last few months concentrating on cycling so I am not starting from nothing.

172 days till the event.

I only have one chance so I'll be giving it my best.

In 2008 I did the 70.3 and it nearly killed me so I know how hard the bike course is. I rode it 3 times in one week and then from midway to Hawi and back on race day.

Getting more excited each day.

Totally aware. Even made it to swim squad this morning. First time since Busso. 5am starts for months to come.

I've been spending the last few months concentrating on cycling so I am not starting from nothing.

172 days till the event.

I only have one chance so I'll be giving it my best.

In 2008 I did the 70.3 and it nearly killed me so I know how hard the bike course is. I rode it 3 times in one week and then from midway to Hawi and back on race day.

Getting more excited each day.

Awesome Peter! What a great reason to keep you going and put the effort in over winter. Best of luck to you :lol: