Shark Spotting @ Busselton

There is a thread like this every year. News flash, the ocean has sharks in it, more at 10.

We have never had a shark that size on the start line 4 weeks out before ! Hopefully that will get the numbers down so we can all get in the race next time around.

Crapola. There was the dude that got his leg taken near Esperance in 2006 2 or 3 days before the race.

Fair distance between Esperance and Busso. Like stopping people from taking to the surf in Bondi because of a shark on the Gold Coast.

I'm always stunned at the number of people who dress themselves like seals, swim in seal infested waters and then wonder why a shark would attack them as they move around slowly like a wounded seal. Garden Island over here is a prime example of just this sort of thing.

Still, no need to worry. Even if a shark does take a fancy to some easy prey at IM you'd be pretty unlucky to be the one. Just don't increase your odds by being the first to the turn around or the last.

Fair distance between Esperance and Busso. Like stopping people from taking to the surf in Bondi because of a shark on the Gold Coast.

I'm always stunned at the number of people who dress themselves like seals, swim in seal infested waters and then wonder why a shark would attack them as they move around slowly like a wounded seal. Garden Island over here is a prime example of just this sort of thing.

Still, no need to worry. Even if a shark does take a fancy to some easy prey at IM you'd be pretty unlucky to be the one. Just don't increase your odds by being the first to the turn around or the last.

Like they said at the race briefing last year, "if you hear the warning siren, swim to the nearest structure and stay there until we come and get you......................................

or at least those of you who are left!!".

TGL

We have never had a shark that size on the start line 4 weeks out before ! Hopefully that will get the numbers down so we can all get in the race next time around.

2004 - IMWA#1 - shark fatality about 2 weeks B4 the race, just around the corner.

They strung a couple of those electronic shark repelling devices at the far end of the swim - I was virtually swimming over the top of it and something resembling a stingray swam along about 3 metres under me, and a couple of metres above the device.

This is when it's good to have someone drafting you.

2004 - IMWA#1 - shark fatality about 2 weeks B4 the race, just around the corner.

They strung a couple of those electronic shark repelling devices at the far end of the swim - I was virtually swimming over the top of it and something resembling a stingray swam along about 3 metres under me, and a couple of metres above the device.

This is when it's good to have someone drafting you.

also there were 3 scuba divers and spotter plane ( look at video at start of swim) and look at guy who wanted to get out after 1 lap of swim. Because of the shark scare the swim in 2004 ( i did 1:19 in swim) was made to 2 laps with that shark repelling thingy right where I swam.I would have liked to swim round the end of the jetty but alas not for me on that day.

What! There are sharks in the Ocean? How long has that been going on for? Someone call Fox News / Tea Party HQ... Maybe the Libs can promise to "Stop the Sharks" at the same time they "Stop the Boats"...

An off shore processing centre for sharks is the only answer. :lol:

Isn't there a saying that if you've ever swum in the ocean, even just once, then you've swum with a shark.

I haven't told my kids that one yet :lol:

It's now moved on to...Mandurah:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/mp/82...-near-mandurah/

ps - I thought the shark at Rockingham was a bronze whaler not a great white?? anyone know?

They initially said it was either, they were not sure. They did pull a tooth out of her so maybe that helped identify it. Or the media are keen to whip up a frenzy and a white pointer sounds better. Yesterday they reported a 3m shark was along side an 18 foot boat and it was the same length as the boat. Either they are prone to exaggeration or they are having trouble with metric conversions.

Does TA insurance cover shark attacks during the race :lol:

It will interesting this year as the jetty has been closed for fishing for a long time now - so that is good news as they are well feed and skinny triathletes will just get stuck in their teeth :lol:

Extra value for the competitors, some people would pay a fortune for the opportunity to swim with the sharks.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/shark-me...1030-17817.html

That shark used to do laps of cottesloe beach with Pauly Newsomes Sat a.m Open water swim squad. Great in the open water but he never turned out for one pool sesh.

Always had clear water he swam with us :lol: