garmin 310xt - high heart rate

Guest Gimili

Guest Gimili

i am pulling real high heart rates when my heart is not that high - no power lines over head.....

say my heart is at 150 it's showing 190.....

say my heart is 36, it is showing 50.....

it's not all the time

do the manual check, and its heap lower in reality, you know by feel anyway

anyone else had this problem.....

Did you wet the chest strap before putting it on. Power lines shouldn't affect the Garmin stuff as they transmit on a different frequency to Polar and the rest that used to pick up the hz of the power lines.

The HR strap is basically rubbish. Lots of people have the same problem, I even got mine replaced by Garmin but still have the same issues so I just ditched it.

I heard the old model (hard strap) works perfectly and you can get some off ebay pretty cheap these days.

I had the same issues, but then found if I re-wet the strap then it read properly.

I also noticed that if I put the strap on and didn't use it straight away, it was more likely to give me high heart rates than if I put it on as I was heading out the door.

Just something I noticed. Hope that helps! :lol:

Had it happen last year and had it replaced. Was getting hr's in the mid 200's and then in the low 80's when it was actually in the 120 to 140 range. Replaced, but it's still a bit dodgy at times. Giving it a clean in light soapy water did seem to help, but I don't do that enough.

Time to start listening to what my body says, not what the watch says.

I took mine over to Garmin on Tuesday with the same problem. They tested it and said it was OK. Gave me a sheet of helpful hints. Like the movement of your running shirt is causing static to jump onto the monitor. Bullshit, I wear a bra that doesn't move over the strap. The same helpful hints suggested running a strip of elastoplast along the outside of the HRM strap. Snake oil. Once I start running again I'll see the same problems and I'll get a bit pointier with Garmin. As I've said before here, potentially a good product blighted by being released in beta version.

It is happening on the bike more than running? Ive had it happen to me a few times and from the little experiments ive done it has everything to do with the clothing your wearing at the time and the static build up. Go for a ride around the block a few times, replicate the same conditions using the same clothing, then take off that clothing and see if its still bad when u start moving again. Ive watched my "heart rate" drop instantly when i earth out my shirt on a lamp post or traffic light. For some reason a brand new shirt produces more static or interferrence

This proble has been occuring for me on and off for the 9 or so months I have had a 310XT. There is no real solution, sometimes I soaked the strap in water and no difference, othertimes it is fine. It did occur more often at the start of a work out. These readings are frustrating as they can significantly skew averages and readings over short workouts.

There is a simply solution however, buy a Polar soft strap and use it with the garmin unit. They work together fine and I have literally just tried it out in th elast few days and it is working beautifully. Much more comfortable strap and better quality. It was delivered in 1 day when ordered from Pursuit Performance... Only cost $40 as well.

My garmin stra[p is all stretched and dodgy so not too unhappy to be rid of it.

Hmmmmm, interested in the polar hr option. I wouldn't have thought they'd have worked together. So you just paired it up as you do with the garmin one? Only a couple of months left on my warranty, and if the strap dies again I might look at that option.

edit - did you get the whole hrm or did you just get the polar strap and then clip the garmin hr unit onto the strap?

As I've said before here, potentially a good product blighted by being released in beta version.

Not to mention crap customer service. I have gone back to using the old strap from a 305.

The watch itself is a great product it is just the heart rate strap that is completely defective. Garmin obviously dont want to recognise this but they are clear leaders in the actual devices but Polar are streets ahead with the strap quality and design.

You just need the strap not the actual unit. The units arent compatible ut the garmin unit connects fine into the Polar strap and works perfectly.

http://www.pursuit-performance.com.au/pola...s/WearLink.html

I got the WearLink elastic strap only and I ordered at lunch time on Monday it arrived Tuesday in the mail.

For real they work? Do you have to get the unit to search for it? I too have pretty much thrown the Garmin strap away. It slowly ticks up higher and higher over time and with no pace changes my HR is in the 190s after 40 or so minutes. It will jump 5-8 BPM in a second or so as I slow. It is almost like it get exponentially worse appearing as though the signal interrogation is what is wrong. I was doing all my runs with the polar and then the gARMIN AND THOUGHT THAT THE INCREASE IN hr WAS TO DO WITH INCREASING TEMPS AT FIRST UNTIL i CROSS CHECKED USING THE MANUAL METHOD.

sorry 4 caps.

You just need the strap not the actual unit. The units arent compatible ut the garmin unit connects fine into the Polar strap and works perfectly.

I got the WearLink elastic strap only and I ordered at lunch time on Monday it arrived Tuesday in the mail.

Brilliant voodz. I tested the FULL Polar strap with the Garmin in the early days, fully expecting the result I got - zippo - as the comms protocols are different. But I didn't think of swapping JUST the strap and leaving the garmin transmitter.

Edit to make it clear about the strap vs the transmitter

Tortise, more info? Did you try the wear link soft strap or the plastic strap? Is there so,me requirement fr the strap to have never connected to Polar to work with Garmin? I have to dig my Polar strap out of a box so have not tried yet.

Plaz, I haven't tested it under duress yet. The more rigid plastic Polar won't be compatible as it has the electrodes and the transimtter all integrated with a twist connection to its elastic strap. But the soft wearlink has a metallic press-stud linking the electrodes on the elastic band through to the transmitter, the same general design as the Garmin. For me the strap on the Polar wear link worked fine when running, but I preferred the old plastic strap so I stored the wear link somewhere with other bits and pieces. Once I'm healed and strong enough to go rabbitting in sekrit boxes I'll find it hiding in the house somewhere and test that the press-studs are the same size and then it should be bingo. It will be a while until I test it properly under exercise, but if the culprit is the Garmin electrodes picking up static, the Polar ones will be much more stable. Your current Garmin pairing should be unaffected as you will still use the Garmin transmitter unit, just change the electrodes and elastic for the Polar.

And to further confirm voodz discovery, I messaged rob at highlytunedathletes to see if they sell the strap only, which they don't. Pursuit performance as voodz said. But he checked it out and the garmin transmitter thingy snaps into the polar wearlink strap perfectly and it worked 100%

He said there are still people who've had issues with the polar straps, but within 9 months I've had two of the garmin straps with issues so I'm gonna give it a go.

I found a few things that seem to have improved the reliability of the Garmin HR strap.

1. Rinse/wash it after each use.

2. Don't just dampen the electrode, wet both sides of the whole end - run it under the tap.

3. Adjust it up snugly.

As an observation, on the bike a flapping jersey seems to be the worst culprit for odd readings,

Cheers,

Greg

I got mine replaced by Garmin in Jan after similar readings. Since then it has worked pretty much for 95% of the time through training and racing. The only reason I can put it down to is that I have not washed the strap since I purchased it. I air dry and sun dry it....but thats it.

Last time I had the strap and washed it it started crapping itself.

But coming into winter and wearing different layers etc will be interesting to see if it happens.

Terrible product though with all of the error rates. Watch is great.

Guest Gimili

so i have an old polar s520..... the strap has two plastic knobs either side of the press stud hole so the garmin doesn't go into it.

is that wearlink strap different to the one I would ahve with this, ie no plastic knobs to support the press stud fastening?

just checed their website and it indicates that the ol s520 is a wearlink strap... i can't tell from what i have as the logos have rubbed off, but it def don't just go click....

i gather this wearlink is more modern with no supports for the press stud?

oh yeah... apologies for posting an on topic thread

I found a few things that seem to have improved the reliability of the Garmin HR strap.

1. Rinse/wash it after each use.

2. Don't just dampen the electrode, wet both sides of the whole end - run it under the tap.

3. Adjust it up snugly.

As an observation, on the bike a flapping jersey seems to be the worst culprit for odd readings,

Cheers,

Greg

But I wasn't having issues when i started a run or ride. When you're 30 minutes into a run sweating like a pig and your hr is jumping from 80 to 240 and back to 80 then I think there's a problem with the strap. Each of mine so far worked perfectly for about 3 months, from the first second they were put on whether dampened or not. Then in about their 4th months they've started to play up.

I've just ordered a strap from PP and will see how it goes.

so i have an old polar s520..... the strap has two plastic knobs either side of the press stud hole so the garmin doesn't go into it.

is that wearlink strap different to the one I would ahve with this, ie no plastic knobs to support the press stud fastening?

just checed their website and it indicates that the ol s520 is a wearlink strap... i can't tell from what i have as the logos have rubbed off, but it def don't just go click....

i gather this wearlink is more modern with no supports for the press stud?

oh yeah... apologies for posting an on topic thread

Voodz supplied this link earlier

Scroll down to show the strap and you can see a statement saying that all straps will now be supplied in the new style shown below. The new strap just has the press studs raised, but no plasitc bits near it so I guess it just fits in nice. Maybe they changed their strap design when they saw an opportunity to increase it's sales?

Genius.

Thankyou very much for the tip. Works a treat.

I rummaged around (being a good girl and not bending or lifting naturally :lol:) and found my spare Polar wear link. It's one with lugs, but I think I might spend quality time sitting in the sun with a file and get rid of them. Nothing ventured, nothing lost.

polar one arrived today, seems to work..... see how it goes once its got sweaty a few times....

all good

Mine rocked up today as well. Great minds think alike!

• 11 months later...

I have started having issues with my Garmin heart rate lately too.

As I run it creeps up and up and up, taking it easy on a recovery run after some intervals and it is telling me my heart rate is 180+. It seems it is to do with static on clothing because if I lift my shirt up the heart rate begins to go down. But, I am not runnnig shirtless so I am thinking I might try to Polar option. Where is the best place to get a wearlink strap nowdays? Might get the 310 cadence/speed sensor too so would be ideal to get both from one shop.

I see Highly tuned athletes has the strap for 39 and the cadence/speed for 69, anywhere better than that?

I have never had an issue with the garmin strap except the elastic has perished. Got a Polar wearlink strap for $23 at the Fitness freakshow on the weekend. The garmin now takes ages to detect the hrm. With the garmin strap it would pick it up 3 rooms away as soon as the strap went on and I NEVER had to wet the garmin strap.

I see Highly tuned athletes has the strap for 39 and the cadence/speed for 69, anywhere better than that?

http://www.cycleogical-online.com.au/produ...roducts_id=2011 - $22 for the Polar strap

http://www.cycleogical-online.com.au/produ...roducts_id=1922 - $65 for the sensor

They delivered my 500 in 2 days.

I never have any issues with the Garmin HR, but that's using the old fashioned hard strap.

I used to have major issues with my heart rate jumping all over the place using both the garmin strap and the polar strap. I recently started using the heart rate electrode cream from Wiggle and only very rarely (usually if I apply too much) have issues. I have returned to using the soft garmin strap.

He said there are still people who've had issues with the polar straps, but within 9 months I've had two of the garmin straps with issues so I'm gonna give it a go.

I am one of the few people who seem to have more problems with the polar straps than the garmin straps!

A few thoughts, for what it is worth.

I rarely get bad readings on a run with my garmin strap. But then again, I have a high sweat rate whilst running (approx 2 litres/hr in summer) so I suspect that conductivity is not a problem.

If I get problems at all they occur:

1. on the bike;

2. earlier rather than later in a ride; and

3. particularly if I put the strap on and then wait for a while before commencing my ride.

Whilst I can't prove it for sure, I suspect that any problems that I do have with the Garmin strap are purely to do with conductivity. If I have a problem and re-wet the strap it works.

Not sure why the polar strap gives me bad readings (on the run and often quite some distance into the run!) when they work better for other people but such is life.

TGL

I used to have major issues with my heart rate jumping all over the place using both the garmin strap and the polar strap. I recently started using the heart rate electrode cream from Wiggle and only very rarely (usually if I apply too much) have issues. I have returned to using the soft garmin strap.

Interesting post - it is this sort of feedback which makes me think that it can be quite an individual thing.

Hey silv - if you don't mind me asking, would you consider yourself a light sweater?

TGL

I have never had an issue with the garmin strap except the elastic has perished. Got a Polar wearlink strap for $23 at the Fitness freakshow on the weekend. The garmin now takes ages to detect the hrm. With the garmin strap it would pick it up 3 rooms away as soon as the strap went on and I NEVER had to wet the garmin strap.

My 310 detects that I have the hrm on, but doesn't pick up a reading when using the polar strap until I'm sweaty. But if rub a bit of spit on the sensors then put it on it picks up my hr straight away. The garmin strap worked straight up, no spit.

My 310 detects that I have the hrm on, but doesn't pick up a reading when using the polar strap until I'm sweaty. But if rub a bit of spit on the sensors then put it on it picks up my hr straight away. The garmin strap worked straight up, no spit.

Seems like a similar experience to Parkside?

Have heard lots of stuff about how the garmin strap doesn't work for some people (even though it is clearly the strap of choice for Parkside, Goughy and even me) but now am hearing that the polar strap doesn't work for everyone either.

Still not sure why different people have such different experiences with the garmin strap vs the polar strap.

Must be a PhD in there somewhere just waiting to be done :lol:

TGL

I am one of the few people who seem to have more problems with the polar straps than the garmin straps!

I use to have problems with my Polar straps and even used "gel" from a pharmacist that they use for ultrasounds. That then meant I had to wash the strap very regularly to stop the "gunk" build up.

I've now had my Garmin strap (the old type) for just under 2 years, never replaced the battery, never washed the strap and only had one incidence of a dodgy reading.

*disclosure - big sweater

Interesting post - it is this sort of feedback which makes me think that it can be quite an individual thing.

Hey silv - if you don't mind me asking, would you consider yourself a light sweater?

TGL

When I did a fluid loss test with the dietician I was using about 18 months ago we figured I needed about 650 ml of water on the bike each hour. Not sure where this places me in on the sweat rate scale, but not a heavy sweater I would think.

When I did a fluid loss test with the dietician I was using about 18 months ago we figured I needed about 650 ml of water on the bike each hour. Not sure where this places me in on the sweat rate scale, but not a heavy sweater I would think.

Yep - agreed. Not a heavy sweater at all.

All very interesting!

Archived