Spewing after racing

Hi, am posting this on behalf of a "friend." To make it easier, I'll pretend it's me so I I'll write in the first sense :lol:

Not sure if it's the high temps causing it, but essentially everything goes well in the event, eg Swim goes well, but of a high heartrate at the swim exit, settle down through transition and no dramas on the bike, ease into the run, small steps, get the legs working and run home gently (nursing reminants of an injury).

All fine as run ends, feeling pretty good. Shortly after stopping (within a minute) start to feel a little hot, feeling of tunnel vision and like a motion type sickness. Stand still breath deeply and it sort-of goes away, but starting to walk again (eg amongst the finishers to hand back timing tag) and feeling comes straight back, tunnel vision type feeling, sick feeling, resulting in a spew.

Best thing to resolve, hop into the water asap, body temp drops and feeling 100% within about a minute.

After ideas and if anyone has had similar experiences.

Things that I am thinking about include:

- Simply overheating, not used to the hot weather (eg. 33 - 36), tips to alleviate this, perhaps just simply more training in hot weather

- Pre race nutrition. If race is at 12pm, what would you be eating for the morning?

Did the same race last season and slashed 5 minutes off the finish time this year, didn't have the problem last year, temps were very similar, perhaps "I" just didn't go as hard....

Some of the symptoms sound like low blood pressure issues. This can be brought about when there is excessive pooling of blood in the lower body(legs). The most active muscles will always receive more blood and oxygen. When you are exercising everything is fine but when you suddenly stop, the blood stops circulating effectively and leaves the upper body starved of blood and oxygen(hence the dizziness). My advice would to either keep moving rather than simply stopping after finishing, like a cool down jog, or to lie down, preferably with the legs elevated to help get the blood back into the upper body.

The reason the water helps is that it will constrict the blood vessels (being cool) and help "pump" the blood back through the body.

In regards to the spew, this again could be due to stopping suddenly after a hard bout of exercise. When pushing hard, the muscles produce a large amount of lactic acid. When the body is moving the body can breakdown and disipate the lactic acid throughout the body(well, usually). When you suddenly stop, the lactic acid accumulates and can't be disipated effectively so it is passed on to the stomach. From here the body can remove it quickly by means of regurgitation. Usually after a good spew you'll feed good as gold again.

From what you've said, I'd say a good cool down would help reduce the above problems.

There may be other issues accociated with heat like you mentioned, but I'd say the majority of the problem lies with the sudden stopping after pushing so hard.

Are you drinking a lot of electrolyte drinks? At too high a concentration relative to the salt and water levels in your blood, your body is unable to absorb it, and does the only thing it can - reject it. This could be unrelated to the dizziness.

Fishboy - nil electrolites consumed, just some water, oj and banana not that long before event. Was wondering if something like that should actually be used.

Shooter you might really be on to something there..... we're talking beginner here. In reality "I" have never spewed on a run of any length ever, even after some long'ish runs even when running hard. The end of this particular latest event was very abrupt and everyone was funelled into tight qantas type claustrofobic waiting queues where you could hardly move to ensure the timing bands were handed back in the correct order.

Interesting and timely thoughts.

Shooter you might really be on to something there..... we're talking beginner here.

This sort of thing happens alot with people new or newish to that sort of intensity in exercise, just see the first few episodes of any biggest loser series, total spew fest. Once you're more conditioned to racing and training at that intensity, your body will become more adapted to it.

The humble spew is a great natural response to an overly low (acidic) PH - as you vomit out the acidic contents the stomach looks for more H+ ions from within - thus raising (less acidic) the bodies overall PH. Usually the low PH (in my experience) is accompanied by a feeling of strong nausea.

If it is PH as a result of lactic acid being released from the muscles into the bloodstream then you can manage this with a good dose of bicarb (a natural PH buffer) prior to the event, however you will need around 6 to 10 grams of the stuff and, in its natural form (baking soda) is extremely difficult and unpleasant to take. Alternatively, find a pharmacist that stocks the tablet form (for acidic urine issues with women) and drop them over the hour leading up to the event. No more nausea, no more vomiting!

Disclaimer - if you take too much bi carb you might overheat and turn into a large muffin, so take care!!

I wouldn't condone that Pete, it is probably correct, but has risk factors and side effects. I had a friend, pharmacist who had the NaHCO3 tabs....took them pre race to combat acidosis..did ok too...but I wouldn't do that.

I go along with Shooter...the blood does pool to the extremities, shunting blood away from the abdominal and stomach muscles....so a brief lie down, feet up, along with cooling is probably going too help. Just 2-3 minutes before continuing with cool down.

Hypotension is minimised in the lying position, so the dizzyness would probably not occur.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith
Is it because he/you bent over to take off the timing chip? Relative time to dropping the head verse when the feelings arose may indicate the blood pressure thing as mentioned previously.

Not quite, it was an arm band on this occasion, but good idea and all relative.

A swim session followed up today in 36 deg with some intensity near the end to the finish. Slightly similar feelings after exiting the swim and not moving, essentially again, from an intense level, to stopping.

We'll look into pre race nutrition, working a bit more in the heat whenever possible and next time it happens try lying down and elevating legs plus some sports drink prior and immediately after.

There were no issues whatsoever in a recent tri where the temp was sub 20.

Tell your "friend" to stop drinking on the swim.

High salt, mixed with isotonic drinks on the bike = RALPH

Recommend trying not to drink so much of the water whilst swimming, plus water only on the bike (not sports drink).

When your body goes into spew mode it starts shutting other stuff down (reduced blood flow = reduced oxygen = loss of vision, dizziness, etc.) until the "rejection" occurs, then everything returns to OK quickly (except you just feel like Mike Tyson just sucker-punched you).

Hi salt drinks are used in hospitals to make people spew, and they only take a minute or two to work!

I wouldn't condone that Pete, it is probably correct, but has risk factors and side effects. I had a friend, pharmacist who had the NaHCO3 tabs....took them pre race to combat acidosis..did ok too...but I wouldn't do that.

I go along with Shooter...the blood does pool to the extremities, shunting blood away from the abdominal and stomach muscles....so a brief lie down, feet up, along with cooling is probably going too help. Just 2-3 minutes before continuing with cool down.

Hypotension is minimised in the lying position, so the dizzyness would probably not occur.

Yes, there may side affects from the bi-carb (apart from dissolving like an aspirin or spontanously mutating into a cookie), but i did a bit of digging and I find this article (actually, I just copied the link from Wiki) that you might be interested in reading:

Is bicarbonate of soda a performance-enhancing drug?

Note that they were talking 20 grams - for me around 8 to 10 does the trick.