OT saving lives

My daughter & I went in again today, and the city was deserted as ever. People may be complaining about not being allowed to do the things they love, but they sure as hell aren't breaking the rules to go to work.

Anyway, they have all new machines at the CBD blood centre. Fancy looking new models that look nothing like the old ones. We got a brief explanation about the differences we would experience and then were asked if we had any questions. I couldn't resist.

"Is this the most expensive machine, or is it the one that goes "BING"?

My daughter started laughing, so did the old guy on the other side of me, but the young nurse stood there with a blank expression on her face. Maybe I'll ask again next time if I have an older nurse. :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reached a milestone today 

Good to see that donating blood is on the list of exemptions for movement limitations https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/_emergency/Public Health (COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement)

My daughter and I are going together for Plasma first thing in the morning.

Posted Images

Very proud of my day daughter, turned 18 a few weeks ago, and with all this stuff going on and the stress of HSC etc she was still determined to try and get in to give blood.

Did her first donation today and is feeling rather pleased with herself.

I still can’t manage to get an appointment to fit around work at the moment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Drove in for an early 6:30am appointment today. The traffic was heavier than I'd seen yet, but still not back to what it was pre-Covid. I was surprised though by the large number of people in the city. Businesses in the CBD seem to be coming back on line at a reasonable rate.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Drove in for an early 6:30am appointment today. The traffic was heavier than I'd seen yet, but still not back to what it was pre-Covid. I was surprised though by the large number of people in the city. Businesses in the CBD seem to be coming back on line at a reasonable rate.

Still nice and quiet here in Canberra.

9am appointment today

Went in for Plasma on Monday. Had to make my next appointment for 3 weeks instead of the usual 2.  I mentioned this is good if you are booked out!  Sadly, its simply because they aren't taking as many bookings due to social distancing etc.

6 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Went in for Plasma on Monday. Had to make my next appointment for 3 weeks instead of the usual 2.  I mentioned this is good if you are booked out!  Sadly, its simply because they aren't taking as many bookings due to social distancing etc.

Yeah, mine have generally been 3 weeks apart also.

Hmm...

So I went and had a look at the Trannies team on Red25

And saw that there was two donations from Victoria earlier this year. (But didn't remember anyone posting from Vic saying that they had.)
So it would seem that if you donate over the border, the donation counts for the state in which the blood is taken, and not the address for which the donater is registered. 

How do we join the Trannies team?

Nevermind, I figured it out. But unfortunately my account won't allow me to log in on a browser. I can only log in through the app which doesn't seem to allow me to join up.

Edited by Katz
3 hours ago, Katz said:

How do we join the Trannies team?

Nevermind, I figured it out. But unfortunately my account won't allow me to log in on a browser. I can only log in through the app which doesn't seem to allow me to join up.

I had some account issues, after a password reset, I had the ability to log in via the website, maybe try that?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/04/2020 at 10:31 AM, Katz said:

Does your centre still have little pies? Mine didn't. :( They had single serve packaged sausage rolls

Single serve microwave pies this time. Still yummy though.

20200525_091834.thumb.jpg.7a33d7f46aa757fc1f82e388f3659d1f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 13/05/2020 at 4:09 PM, Cape_Horn said:

Hmm...

And saw that there was two donations from Victoria earlier this year. (But didn't remember anyone posting from Vic saying that they had.)
So it would seem that if you donate over the border, the donation counts for the state in which the blood is taken, and not the address for which the donater is registered. 

You can't be in multiple teams, can you? I have been in the work one for years so I don't want to bail on them.

6 minutes ago, Naut said:

You can't be in multiple teams, can you? I have been in the work one for years so I don't want to bail on them.

No, you can't. I bailed on mine a couple years ago, and we lost a corporate comp by less than the number that I had donated.

Lucky I didn't tell them I bailed. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2020 at 4:09 PM, Cape_Horn said:

Hmm...

Could have been me. I live in Vic and donate in Vic 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like all the cool kids donate on Sunday's...............my next appointment is on a Thursdee.

Just smashed out #30 & 1st for Team Trannies & the dirty stinkin' Mexican's in Covictoria.

LB.jpg

• Like 1

I donated plasma last week. Second return got stuck and the process was ended. Arm is still pretty tender in fact. Will be giving donating a miss for a while. Started doing plasma due to the low iron store issue last year. Have never felt really comfortable doing it. Was a pretty high stress situation for me. So, I'm out for a while. Disappointing really. :(

2 minutes ago, Katz said:

I donated plasma last week. Second return got stuck and the process was ended. Arm is still pretty tender in fact. Will be giving donating a miss for a while. Started doing plasma due to the low iron store issue last year. Have never felt really comfortable doing it. Was a pretty high stress situation for me. So, I'm out for a while. Disappointing really. :(

How many donations Katz, and are they all from the same vein? If you notice the odd angle of the needle in my photo, it's because I started getting difficult returns due to a build up in scar tissue in the vein they normally use in most people. I even had one that pushed out of the vein & I ended up with a lump the size of a half tennis ball where the needle was, due to the whole return ending up missing the vein.

Luckily I've got choices, unlike some people.

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

How many donations Katz, and are they all from the same vein? If you notice the odd angle of the needle in my photo, it's because I started getting difficult returns due to a build up in scar tissue in the vein they normally use in most people. I even had one that pushed out of the vein & I ended up with a lump the size of a half tennis ball where the needle was, due to the whole return ending up missing the vein.

Luckily I've got choices, unlike some people.

I think that was only the 5th or 6th plasma, and yes always the same vein. I've had a couple of unpleasant plasma donations which has just made subsequent donations a bit stressy. I've got too much other stuff going on at the moment and don't need to voluntarily add more stress to myself. I'll likely go back to whole blood in a little while. Might do the odd plasma. Just need a bit of distance from it I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, Katz said:

I think that was only the 5th or 6th plasma, and yes always the same vein. I've had a couple of unpleasant plasma donations which has just made subsequent donations a bit stressy. I've got too much other stuff going on at the moment and don't need to voluntarily add more stress to myself. I'll likely go back to whole blood in a little while. Might do the odd plasma. Just need a bit of distance from it I suppose.

Don't feel bad. You have done more than most of the general public.

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

My last one on Sunday was a bit dodgy. You get to know the staff and who the good ones are with the needle. This was a new girl and she wasn't too crash hot. 

Hurt going in and then proceeded to "vibrate" quite a number of times during the process. Unsurprisingly was a bit sore and bruised afterwards.  

Wont stop me though. 

Gotta say though, loving the app for booking. After my 2nd last appt. there were no forward bookings available for the 2 weeks time. Checked the app the day before an a few appts had come available for the next day so I grabbed it and went in. 

9 hours ago, Katz said:

I only noticed today my arm doesn't hurt all the time anymore.

Still not ready to go back.

Good to hear it's feeling better. Don't stress out about difficulty giving plasma. If you can't, you can't. Giving whole blood every few months for a single year is still more than most people do in their lifetime. 

• Like 2

Daughter got a letter today saying her iron levels are too low and she has been bumped for 6 months. She was pretty disappointed as she had only just started to donate. 

19 minutes ago, roxii said:

Daughter got a letter today saying her iron levels are too low and she has been bumped for 6 months. She was pretty disappointed as she had only just started to donate. 

My wife has just been through the same thing. Had her first plasma donation back last week

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I went in a few weeks back and my pulse was funny, was reading as 40 on the BP machine and then manually was missing a whole heap of beats so got punted and have to have an ECG and clearance to go again. :sadwalk:

• Sad 1