Jump to content

OT saving lives


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

11 isn't 'too' bad (female rates are supposed to be 15-150)
Males should be 30-300
Mine sat on 7 for 2 months without supplementation (And the doc wasn't considering infusions, although the gasto specialist nearly enforced it)

The reference range on the report is 30-300. I'm thinking I might forgo the infusion and just supplement the diet plus skip a few months of donations and see how it looks after that. Eating better generally wouldn't kill me either. And after thinking about it we realised we probably don't eat as much iron rich foods as we should and we can make changes easily.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reached a milestone today 

Good to see that donating blood is on the list of exemptions for movement limitations https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/_emergency/Public Health (COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement)

My daughter and I are going together for Plasma first thing in the morning.

Posted Images

Your other option is 
https://www.goodpricepharmacy.com.au/ferro-grad-c-30-tablets

(Sorry about the buy link, but 90% of chemists will have this brand, at about the same cost)
These seem to work, also remember that iron is more readily absorbed if you have VitC with it, so if you do want to just make dietary changes, you also need to increase your VitC intake as well. 

Warning, if you do go down the iron supplementation route, you have a very high probability that you will end up with some form of constipation :(   

(EDIT: Forgot to say - I am not a health professional, just some random on the internet, and anything I write must be taken with a grain of salt, and you should always see a real health professional, this info is just what I have found, as well as info that has been passed on to me by a number of health professionals, as well as other peoples anecdotes) 

Edited by Cape_Horn
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

Your other option is 
https://www.goodpricepharmacy.com.au/ferro-grad-c-30-tablets

(Sorry about the buy link, but 90% of chemists will have this brand, at about the same cost)
These seem to work, also remember that iron is more readily absorbed if you have VitC with it, so if you do want to just make dietary changes, you also need to increase your VitC intake as well. 

Warning, if you do go down the iron supplementation route, you have a very high probability that you will end up with some form of constipation :(   

(EDIT: Forgot to say - I am not a health professional, just some random on the internet, and anything I write must be taken with a grain of salt, and you should always see a real health professional, this info is just what I have found, as well as info that has been passed on to me by a number of health professionals, as well as other peoples anecdotes) 

Already on the ferro grad supplement. Started taking it as soon as I saw the result. But thanks for the link. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went in to the Brisbane office yesterday. It'll be my last before the silly season now. I can give Plasma straight after coming back from India apparently.

They have a new system for the questionnaire, where it's done on a tablet rather than paper. It still has a few teething problems, but I think it will be quicker in the long run, and use less paper. And the high point of the morning was being the very first donor that a new young nurse got to stab. She did a good job too. No pain.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Failed the haemoglobin test.

104 in the room, 112 from my arm I'm the chair.

REJECTED!!

What would have caused this? Would it be because I did a huge session this morning? Maybe I didn't refuel properly. No, I know for a fact I didn't refuel properly. It's normally pretty low. Last time it was 116. But this time it was too low to be accepted. Any suggestions?

ETA - That was after they commented that my HR was very low and i only 'just made it' 🤣 It was 52. That's not low!!

20191218_155311.jpg

Edited by Cranky
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was normally a bit lower after a really hard swim session in the morning, or if I did a long one like 10km.

What I did find though, but won't be any good for you, was that continual adaption to cold water swimming increased mine. It was normally around the 140 level, but after a year of swimming in the dam, it has raised to a consistent 150+, and has been there for nearly a year since.

 

It could also be low if you haven't been eating much meat.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I was just starting to get back into the sing of regular donations. I'm disappointed the anaemia situation arose and has resulted in me being unable to donate for the time being. Like you, I was enjoying Stikman and I going along together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

20200302_095742.thumb.jpg.a69f3262a0c9bcd0241782b434d719ce.jpg

The above photo for me, and the one below for my daughter. 

She was only supposed to do whole blood, but I totally forgot when I booked it for her that you have to wait 4 months from when we went to India. Instead of wasting a trip into the city, she decided to take the plunge and give Plasma. :)

20200302_100606.thumb.jpg.ac034f331150f2d1abaef1c49ac67f42.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm due to give blood early this morning. Unfortunately with the sudden work changes I have to be online & active first up. I realise how important it is at the moment, as they are likely to get a lot of cancellations over the coming weeks, so will be rebooking ASAP. 

I'm assuming hygiene will be pretty good there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just thinking about this. Can't really do whole blood at the moment but am thinking I should have a go at plasma. As you say Ex, I expect there will be a lot of extra need at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Gave whole blood on Tuesday, they had removed a chair to make more room and stayed away more. Never seen the blood donor center so empty. 
Staff said they has lots of cancellations.

If you can give blood please do especially if you have spare time like me

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just donated at the local van. They were only taking 2 people at a time instead of the normal 4.
I just hope no one was infected before I arrived because I’m not totally convinced their infection control measures were totally effective 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Gave whole blood on Tuesday, they had removed a chair to make more room and stayed away more. Never seen the blood donor center so empty. 
Staff said they has lots of cancellations.

If you can give blood please do especially if you have spare time like me

Lots of cancellations here too, but also an influx of others. I was about 45 min late getting in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, roxii said:

13 days to go for me. 
itching to get back to it. 
especially being a platelet donor. 

What's different with platelets? Do they need to do some different testing or something before you can register for it?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, you need to have a naturally high platelet count. 
They will tell you if you are able to donate. 
You get the rock star treatment if you are able to donate platelets, but it has a very short shelf life so they only take what they can use in the next day or two. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roxii said:

Yeah, you need to have a naturally high platelet count. 
They will tell you if you are able to donate. 
You get the rock star treatment if you are able to donate platelets, but it has a very short shelf life so they only take what they can use in the next day or two. 
 

Ah, gotcha. I don't think mine would be considered 'naturally high'. Rcent test shows 295 and reference range 150-400.

Good to know the info though. I had wondered.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Delays at the blood bank this morning due to the extra cleaning & processing of everything, even though numbers were lower than normal. My daughter & I both gave Plasma.20200330_095924.thumb.jpg.ae05448f472a52ad7e8d0827e58851c8.jpg20200330_105520.thumb.jpg.2f689d8fec81acb33855173f9782f9f6.jpg

Mind you, I think there were more people in the bloodbank centre than in the Queen St Mall.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Donated plasma over the weekend for the 2nd time this year on their new machines. Overall time is much the same (40ish mins for moi), but the cycle/interval times are a little shorter between the draw & return.

After having to cancel a number of appointments last year for various reasons, I will try to make up a few this year. Does everybody use the app & if so how do youse find it? It doesn't/didn't get very good reviews on Google Play Store, so have not installed it, but they keep directing/wanting me to go the this route.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moshy said:

Donated plasma over the weekend for the 2nd time this year on their new machines. Overall time is much the same (40ish mins for moi), but the cycle/interval times are a little shorter between the draw & return.

After having to cancel a number of appointments last year for various reasons, I will try to make up a few this year. Does everybody use the app & if so how do youse find it? It doesn't/didn't get very good reviews on Google Play Store, so have not installed it, but they keep directing/wanting me to go the this route.

there is an app?

I just use the webpage, works well for me?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a heartwarming phone call from the blood bank. They have to cancel my appointment for tomorrow because they are too busy. And they can't get me in again till 8 Apr as they are fully booked.

I am really glad there are enough people willing and able to donate that they had to turn me away. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

Good to see that donating blood is on the list of exemptions for movement limitations

https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/_emergency/Public Health (COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement) Order 2020.pdf

(Section 1 - item 10)

 

(Donation 90 this morning)

Yep for sure  

The normal needs of blood donations don't go away because a virus is in town. 

My location has been busy which is good. 

They don't have facilities for plasma or platelets here, but they say they'd keep me to whole blood anyway given I'm O neg.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Blood bank was busy again this morning at 7am. There were 2 "virgins" getting checked over prior to their first donations. Great to see.

And even better, this is what was on the shelf in the waiting room.

20200414_072313.thumb.jpg.36ea7a6d0fdfeb60d19acb15fdd2d55c.jpg

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does your centre still have little pies? Mine didn't. :( They had single serve packaged sausage rolls and spinach ricotta rolls, but no little pies. I understand why of course. I wonder if any of the manufacturers will start making single serve ones so we can get them back again.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Katz said:

Does your centre still have little pies? Mine didn't. :( They had single serve packaged sausage rolls and spinach ricotta rolls, but no little pies. I understand why of course. I wonder if any of the manufacturers will start making single serve ones so we can get them back again.....

Ours was the same. Just the normal size packaged sausage rolls that go soggy in the microwave. :(

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cranky said:

I got sacked from donating due to low iron. Have since been on iron tablets. Must call them and find out when I can go back. Thanks for the reminder!

Did you get the full iron assessment done? Or just started the iron tablets on account of low haem? If only the haem, get the full panel done so you know precisely what you're dealing with and how to properly address it. It's taken 6 months for me to get part way back to normal iron counts. I'm still not where I should be to sensibly be able to give whole blood, so am sticking to plasma only for now. In addition to taking iron, stopping whole blood donations, I've also had to look at other female issues and getting those settled to ensure the iron stores stay up and I don't end up back where I was last year. 

I think I've got one more week till I go back to the blood bank.

@roxii, you're due to go back....have you been yet?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Katz said:

@roxii, you're due to go back....have you been yet?

Cant get in, no spots available, which is a good thing, but I think also due to them accepting lower numbers due to social distancing etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Katz said:

I just went to book in for next week. Can't go back for 2 weeks as booked out. Might need to book in well in advance for now at least. 

I normally keep 3 bookings in the pipeline. That way I just get them to make a new booking in 8 weeks. I go at a popular time (at least it was popular when people went to work in the city) so I had to book that far ahead normally. Whilst they don't put as many people through, the number of people wanting to donate in the CBD has also dropped.

ETA: They've also just added 6:30 appointments in the morning. I'll be using these early ones every 2nd fortnight that my daughter doesn't come in with me.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...