I Pod,,, do you??

The Mrs is starting to run again after bub no.2, and wanted an I pod or similar for x-mas so I thought Id ask the collective wisdom of techy geeks and others as to which would be the best value and features for $$ in the current plethora of brands, sizes and types.

Do you really need 20gig?

The 20 gigs that store photos and stuff, can you use these as a photo storage device while out and about to download your memory card??

Probably best that its not too techy, easy to use and to navigate!

Cheers

My daughter has had two Ipod minis fail within 14 months. The first was replaced under warranty, the second wasn't because it was past the 12 months (from the purchase of the first one). She now has a 2gb no name one I bought off of ebay for $120 that she is really happy with.

There was an article in the newspaper here in Melbourne last week naming the top shonky products and ipods were number 3.

Don't get her one that big Roxii, she'll either run and never come back, or she'll train for a marathon and you'll never get to train :lol:

I have a nano. Love it. Only use it for the gym though, Wouldn't use one running or riding-I don't think it's a good idea safety wise. Got one of those arm strappy things to use it with, but find it's easy to wack it in my crop top or in the top of my knicks. YES, it has a cover :lol: Only prob is with my eyesight failing I have trouble seeing the screen!

Nanos are great, small, light, long bettery life and holds enough songs to run a really long way!

haven't had much experience with other brands, but I must say my Nano has caused me no problems and mates who have them have had the same experience, whereas people with iPod videos or the minis have had far more troubles.

You can use the 20gig ones as a storage device, but I'm not sure whether you can download straight to them from a memory card. I used about a quarter of the space on my Nano as photo storage last trip I went on, just had to use a computer to download and transfer the pictures.

Mate, Pretty Boy and I both picked up one of these a couple of months back.

W810i-Black.jpg

Takes up to 2gb, which is more than enough - plus has the FM radio option which the iPods don't - plus has pretty decent quality in-built speakers, again which most MP3-players don't have (&/or you could still plug it into a quality stereo system like any other player). Has dedicated music control buttons within easy reach, and the walkman can be used without turning the phone on too. Besides which, it's everything else you want in a mobile phone - 2 mp camera/video - organiser - blah, blah.

Keeps the old girl safer out on the roads with the phone too (which could be a positive or a negative - haven't met your missus yet)

Mate, Pretty Boy and I both picked up one of these a couple of months back. 

And how much is that exactly, about $700??

Roxii, if it's for exercise, get a nano. The full size ones are too big to run with. Nano's tiny & weighs bugger all. As for failures, I can only say I've owned about 6 iPods at this stage and only one had any problem and that was cause I dropped it by mistake. Currently have an 80GB video iPod and love it. Off the top of my head I can't think of any mates who have had problems with theirs and nearly all my mates have iPods of one flavour or another.

As for storing photos direct to the iPod, no you can't do it on the road by default. However, Belkin make an attachment which will allow you to do it, though I haven't used it and don't know which iPods it's compatible with.

I don't think so!

I bought a no name brand one from ebay that you plug into the usb port of your computer (no cable). cost about $50 or so for about 512mb. not big at all!

holds about 80 songs which is more than enough when you can change the mix so easily. The bonus i have is that i can put other file types on it if i need to take some spreadsheets (i am an accountant) home to do work.

only disadvantage is it doesn't have re-chargeable batteries.

I love it and use it death and if it dies or breaks the replacement cost is only about $50.

R

try the iRiver 512 mb. We just bought a second one. Good battery life. Service is brilliant - one of ours died and they replaced it with an upgraded 2 gig, is nice and small, easy to charge via usb and has fm radio. and they are much cheaper than the ipod

Punters & Puntettes..... leave it to Ol' Uncle YoYo to steam in like a dutch oven and save the day...

For all your digital needs, just pay a visit to this site

Grab yourself a 1gig mp3/mp4 player that is also a 2mp camera for USD$52...

Grab some cheap-ass memory cards for your digi camera while you're there.

:lol:

My 30G has just packed up and the guys at the store said they thought it had died and to just get a new one. Right...18 months old!! I can afford $500 every year for a new one. Pi$$ed off big time. I did love it when it worked though

Common complaint about iPods are reliability & price, both of which are rubbish.

Price first:

iRiver T30 512MB = $110 (source)

(requires batteries)

iRiver T30 1GB = $149 (source)

(requires batteries)

iPod Shuffle 1GB (there is no 512MB): $119 (source)

(no batteries, plug in to computer to charge)

So, same size for same size, you'll save $30 by buying the iPod and won't have to pay for batteries. LG do offer a 1GB rechargeable player for $110, so you could potentially save $9 by buying that.

Reliability:

Choice magazine are the ones who awarded the iPod a 'Shonky' award, which is what mxwalker referred to earlier. Their reason?

"Choice said it had received several complaints about iPods having cracked screens, faulty batteries and problems with sound production as well as difficultities when it came to getting them repaired."

Several? Not several hundred, just several. Given that the iPod has about 80% market share, 'several' complaints is hardly cause for alarm. Besides, if you do end up with a dodgy iPod, Apple will fix it if it's under warranty, and replace it if they can't fix it.

I have a Kermit Green Ipod Video copy (Made by Creative) 30GB DIsk space and comes with FM radio and I get between 10-14 hours out of a recharge. I reckon its probably a bit heavy to be running with but wouldn't be too bad on the bike if your that way inclined.

Quote:

"Common complaint about iPods are reliability & price, both of which are rubbish.

Price first:

iRiver T30 512MB = $110 (source)

(requires batteries)

iRiver T30 1GB = $149 (source)

(requires batteries)

iPod Shuffle 1GB (there is no 512MB): $119 (source)

(no batteries, plug in to computer to charge)"

My 512mb iRiver was $89 from Good Guys and plugs into the computer to recharge - couldn't fit a battery into it if I wanted too.

I bought an iRiver 512k as well last X-Mas and purposely went for one that took one AA battery and therefore not having to rely on computers for recharge and batteries available everywhere. That makes it a little more bulky than some and not as easy to run with but I have done no worries. It also has FM radio and recording like most others and sound quality pretty good.

I would like more capacity though and I reckon 2gb flash is the go. I think there is a Sony Walkman that fits the bill for around $250. The problem with the 20gb jobbies is they are hard drives and more prone to failure and skipping (so I've read). I also read the shonky products article naming ipods.

There's quite a bit of stuff on the internet if you care to research.

Good luck. :lol:

Something that hasn't been mentioned is nanos are flash and the bigger ones are HD, so you definately don't want a bigger one for running, I've tried a few times the size isn't an issue its just the little HD doesn't like my running style.

I picked up a nano knock off from ebay this morning for $83 delivered, its 4Gb has an FM tuner, colour screen etc. Pretty much a 4gb nano + FM. Heres one finishing in ~20min

Grant

On a related topic, does anyone else have trouble keeping earplugs in when running? Maybe I've got shite shaped lugholes.

I have the same problem so I bought a pair of earphones last week from JB Hifi that have a plastic loop that goes around the ear (they were about $14). I've also used some that had rubber ends that stayed in the ear well but I found that the rubber ends eventually got lost and rendered them useless.

On a related topic,  does anyone else have trouble keeping earplugs in when running?  Maybe I've got shite shaped lugholes. :lol:

233124[/snapback]

Using the sony example from above (see the photo), those little earbud thingys sit in Pretty Boy's ears fine, but fall out of mine. I have an older headphone set with a neck chain (different brand) which the ear-pieces fit perfectly in mine - pretty boy reckons the normal shaped ones fall out of his - go figure ...

oh - and if you shop around when you're after a new phone contract, you'll find you can pick these phones up (or other Sony walkman phones) free when you sign to $49 or $79 maxi-cap deals through Vodafone, Virgin or Optus :lol:

I have a 2GB SONY mp3 player, it's tiny (size of a ciggy lighter), easy to work, has built in radio, long life battery which charges thru your USB port and is a pretty purple too :lol: It cost me $189, I've have it for 5 months so far, use it almost everyday and have not had any problems.

On a related topic,  does anyone else have trouble keeping earplugs in when running?  Maybe I've got shite shaped lugholes. :lol:

233124[/snapback]

Sony do a waterproof set of headphones that sit over the ear and are really comfy, about $40 from memory, have been using mine for about 2 years and no problems.