12 Questions for MMW AKA Jabbasaurus

1) Tony it is well known you came from a surfing background , can you please tell everyone your surfing results ?

2) is it true that as a surfer you would punch out other surfers that even dared look at you ?

3) what made you change to triathlon and what was your first triathlon and earliest results ?

4) You raced in the United States against some of the top pros of the time what were your best results ?

5) Any "stories" you can tell from your time in the states ?

6) You always seem to combine good times with your triathlons , do you think the current crop of trihards treat the sport too seriously ?

7) You always seem to have brushes with authority yet you are a very high ranking Police Officer , how ?

8) you seem to have embraced cycling, particuarly track - how does the commaderie in cycling compare to triathlons ? . it seems there are always quite a few public spats and rivalries in cycling ?

9) I know you had a hip replacement how does that effect your ability to ride , run or swim , any thoughts on doing tris , ironman again in the future ?

10 ) how has married life , with kids slowed down the old Jabbasaurus ?

11) is there any famous triathletes that you havn't trained with that you would like to train with ?

12) You have been fortunate to train with the very best , namedrop time - go for it - ?

13) You occasionally cop a bit of flak on this forum from some parties and I know from talking to you that its just water of a ducks back . But here is your chance , please list some of your major triathlon results - dont hold back .

14) Do I really have to stop at 13 with this guy ?? I could ask millions

Edited by stan jurd
We could be here for the next week answering #5 alone! Looking forward to it.

203981[/snapback]

hahaha... "this one time... at Heidi Fleiss's place........"

Guest Mister Marsellus Wallace
1) Tony it is well known you came from a surfing background , can you please tell everyone your surfing results ?

I think I won the Cronulla titles five or six times, won the Pro Trials at the Duranbah Pro Classic in 1984 and made the final of the Pro event, made the final of the Newy contest and won a few other contests , placed highly in state and national titles. Cant remember where exactly over 20 years ago... so you know..

2) is it true that as a surfer you would punch out other surfers that even dared look at you ?

I was just a kid from the burbs that came down on the train and didnt take shit. I was no better or no worse than any of the Alley or Point boys, but got picked on because initially I was an 'outsider' and dealt out a few well deserved floggings. I hasten to add I copped a couple as well, but law of the jungle and all that... actually while I'm on that I used to play first grade baseball for the Sharks as well, I was the catcher and got in a fairly famous blue and got banned for life it made the papers way back when, wasnt funny at the time, but funny now...

3) what made you change to triathlon and what was your first triathlon and earliest results ?

I was a fat kid, could swim a bit, wanted to do the hardest sport, that was it at the time, they were just starting up, you and your brothers Stan after initially thinking I was an arsehole surfer and you were clubbies, eventually became the brothers I never had I guess. My first triathlon was Wisemans Ferry in 14 degree water 1k/30k/17k I ended up 12th. Then I was 12th again in the Ramon Russel race at Windsor I think, 5th at the first Bundeena and then 1st at the 1985 Sydney Triathlon at Narrabeen, still my best ever result I reckon.

4) You raced in the United States against some of the top pros of the time what were your best results ?

Actually I didnt race much over in the states but spent some time there, went with the intention of racing, lost the plot and went mad chasing a sheila all over the place and pissed it away (you know who she is), I went over there the fittest I had ever been and didnt perform. My best result in the US is 501st in the 1989 Hawaii Ironman, where I am the proud owner of a bike split faster than my run split.

5) Any "stories" you can tell from your time in the states ?

Will probably think of some others, but having a head on collision with Molina in the Scott Carpenter pool was not funny at the time, but funny now, babysitting the now wife of a genuine Australian Triathlon Legend because a serial pants man was chasing up to Boulder, seeing the love parcels from his Australian GF at the time turning up professing true love etc etc, he is the horniest and most over sexed little bugger you'd ever meet, only see him three times a day, morning ride, swim training, and dinner, he used to run on his own a lot, and the rest of the time was spent *******. Lots of stories, road trip to Vegas with Macca and Hilly (Chris), will think of some others I guess.

6) You always seem to combine good times with your triathlons , do you think the current crop of trihards treat the sport too seriously ?

Yes

7) You always seem to have brushes with authority yet you are a very high ranking Police Officer , how ?

Dont believe all you see, hear and read. People like to talk and exaggerate. Wont talk too much about work but have a very challenging job at the mo, like to have this forum as an outlet. Lucky I have great folks working for me.

8) you seem to have embraced cycling, particuarly track  - how does the commaderie in cycling compare to triathlons ? . it seems there are always quite a few public spats and rivalries in cycling ?

Track is great. Sitting around between races, you end up talking to the guys, from old Dessie (everyone knows him) to Benny K, it is a truly elite sport and I have fallen in love with it. Some of the blokes are hard heads I guess, but thats fine with me. I'm still too big to pursuit fast, but pursuit and points is where I'm aiming at. Road TTS as well, getting there. Learning to sprint properly and position myself in the bunch, there is a lot more to it than meets the eye.

9) I know you had a hip replacement how does that effect your ability to ride , run or swim , any thoughts on doing tris , ironman  again in the future ?

No, the Forster HIM proved that running is all over. Getting through Cairns in a month is about all I can aim at. I can only run slowly for about 20 minutes before the back and sciatic nerve starts playing up, went and ran some 1k's on the track last week to see where I'm at, I would never be happy unless I could compete properly running and that part of my life is over. I can still swim and bike as quick as I ever did, but just body not cooperating in the run department. I like running, it just dont like me.

10 ) how has married life , with kids slowed down the old Jabbasaurus ?

Being a Dad is the greatest thing in my life and exceeds anything I have ever done by about a hundred times. I didnt think you could love a being as much as I love that little kid (brutally honest).

11) is there any famous triathletes that you havn't trained with that you would like to train with ?

I think on talent alone, Clinton Barter was the best cyclist and runner ever, but all the best guys came to the shire from time to time, and a lot of em lived here anyway. Some of the runs in Boulder were a 'whos who' pretty awesome I guess. I never trained with Lance, but I did meet him before he was a cyclist in 89, some of the Weds bunch rides to the Gong had lots of Olympic cyclists etc, it was just all the boys getting the work done I guess. 

12)  You have been fortunate to train with the very best , namedrop time - go for it - ?

Yeah, but the hysteria, you know this Stan, is just that I was around and hanging out as a second tier guy that was training with the guys, I am very proud of my friends achievements and talk about em because they deserve recognition, that is the vein in which I use their names, and I was lucky to be a part of it all.

13) You occasionally cop a bit of flak on this forum from some parties and I know from talking to you that its just water of a ducks back . But here is your chance , please list some of your major triathlon results - dont hold back .

Well, I think I did around 200 races, I think I won a few about 20 odd, but 9th at Forster IM, 15th odd at both 3/130/30 Daikyo World Cups and I think 4th at Noosa 1 year when I shoulda gone with Benny Bright on the bike were about my best results I guess. I had a lot of top ten finishes, lots of seconds and thirds from memory, but being honest I was a 'second tier' pro/elite that won races like Orange, Merimbula, things like that but when the big boys were around, I usually got beat. The best chance I had to win a biggie was probably Noosa that year, whenever it was, I remember just letting Benny go, and he ran slower than me, but hey, thats life.

14) Do I really have to stop at 13 with this guy ?? I could ask millions

203965[/snapback]

Theres probably lots of other questions, but hey I a madman on this site, because its an outlet, and I love sport.

I'll ask myself a question: Where will you be in ten years????

Retired from the cops (nine to go), trying to win a World Masters track jersey holiest of holies, and President of the ITU, bringing triathlon back to the masses and making it successful in Australia just as it is in America. (of course thats all bullshit.....) - oh and being the best Dad I can.

... sorry about the font f-kup folks thought I was being clever and putting the answers in blue, at least the content is there, Kamal probably has a few other questions lined up as well... or maybe not.

Any Nulla locals remember the peice of Grafiti about Jabbs spray painted on a fence in mentone lane that runs down to the esplanade, and over looks Sth Nulla beach ??

It was there for years........

204019[/snapback]

Yep, there were a few bits around. Down on the rocks at the point too as I recall. They didn't call him Jabba then :lol: Since then Jabba has probably had the satisfaction of locking the very same people responsible up!

Ha, I used to walk past it every day for years, folks used to ask me why I didnt paint it off, didnt worry me, I know who did it and the square up happened, I think it hurt him more than it hurt me every time he walked past it.

...... back On topic, memories of the states also include training in Dave Scotts squad and doing hill repeats up the Morgul Bismark hills in Boulder on the bike, trying to do a swim session in a 25 yard (???) pool at Spruce where Daves sister was the coach, bike rides with Tinley, cool dude, going to 'The Grips' house in Boulder while he was out sleeping in the desert with Indians - he shared with Paula she is a cool and very very tough woman, Paul Huddle (her husband) one of the best and most humble and hardest working blokes you will ever meet; Mark Allen being the invisible man, lives in Boulder you'd never see him, getting on the piss with Molina, Tinley, Pluck, BB, Huddle, Mark Montgomery, Emilio, et al at the Walnut brewery in Boulder and then we went to some Mexican joint that sold the best and strongest Margaritas in the world..... good fun, upending some college chick (whoops), CU versus UC college football games with 50 thousand people, Denver Zephyrs Baseball games at Mile High stadium...

Riding up Stagecoach, Left Hand Canyon to Ward (10,000 ft plus) on the peak to peak and then Nederland and back down the Boulder Canyon at 100 plus ks an hour; running the Nederland 10k starts at the High School at 10000 and goes up (gasp),. Great food every night at the Boulder Salad Co, runs along the Flatirons trail, seeing skunks, a black bear, and other wildlife, hiking to the top of Mt Massive and being knee deep in snow in the middle of summer, yeah loved Colorado.

Just think how much fun I coulda had if I wasnt in heartbroken misery all the time.... Will probably think of some other stuff as well, like I said this is a trip down memory lane for me.

Road trips to Vegas happened a few years later, lots of 'what happens on tour stays on tour' stuff there, have to be a bit careful will post something later.