Hackett 'to miss' Commonwealth Games

Anyone got the inside word on what is happening here?

Email Print Normal font Large font November 14, 2005 - 9:30AM

Advertisement

AdvertisementOlympic and world champion 1500 metres freestyle swimmer Grant Hackett will not compete in next year's Melbourne Commonwealth Games, his manager Brian Taylor said today.

It is understood that Hackett is suffering from a shoulder injury, however Mr Taylor said there were other reasons for his withdrawal from the Games.

"Grant has been carrying a shoulder injury - the whole world knows that - but there are other reasons for his withdrawal," Mr Taylor said.

Swimming Australia spokesman Ian Hanson said he had been told to prepare for a news conference later today in Melbourne after the Australian swimming team captain had medical tests this morning.

"Grant is supposed to see a doctor this morning and we are getting a medical report after that," Hanson said from the World Cup event in Durban, South Africa.

"I'm trying to get onto Grant's management. Obviously it would be a huge blow.

"We'll have to see exactly what the problem is.

"All I've been told is get ready for a press conference in Melbourne this afternoon.

"I know he has had some problems with his shoulder. He swam in pain in Montreal (at the 2005 world championships)."

I also didn't notice him saying anything about wanting to swim 100km either :lol: Did he really say that? Or are you taking the micky? There's no 10km open water swim in the Olympics, or is this going to be a demo event?

Yep, he did say it. Aslo the 10K open water is being added. There was a bit of a whinge on one of the threads because the kilo/TT got dropped but swimming was allowed to add an event.

http://www.fina.org/openwater/ows.htm

Winning male did 1hr 46 for 10k at World Champs this year.

My maths is pretty ordinary at times, but I calculate that to be holding around 1.30 pace per 100m for 10k with no tumble turns.

My maths is pretty ordinary at times, but I calculate that to be holding around 1.30 pace per 100m for 10k with no tumble turns.

Your maths is very ordinary. 116 minutes => 1.16 minutes/100m => 1:09.6/100m

No wetties, no drafting

While we're at it.

The 5K was won in 51:17, giving an average pace of 1:01.2/100, so allowing for the shorter distance, you'd expect these guys to swim 3.8K in just under 38mins.

Without a wettie.

Edited by WebSwim

No wetties, no drafting

173984[/snapback]

Yeah well I warned you. Might approach H&R Block.

No wetties, no drafting

173984[/snapback]

Your maths isn't exactly rock solid either Webswim :D

1h46m.... 60 + 46 = 106, making it 1m3.6s per 100m :lol:

That's assuming swimming straight line in flat water, both of which are big ifs on any given day in China or anywhere.

Sounds like a fascinating event.

Mens race only, I would assume?

yeah 3.8k's in 38 minutes, but those guys are flatout remembering their name after they swim that quick, let alone hop on a bike and punch out 180 and then a gentle 42k run after that....

Who's Grant Hackett anyway ? never heard of him....

You guys are getting carried away, you have to wonder about exact measurements in open water swimming like that, just like some of the IM swims, the measurements are not always dead on.

yeah 3.8k's in 38 minutes, but those guys are flatout remembering their name after they swim that quick, let alone hop on a bike and punch out 180 and then a gentle 42k run after that....

Who's Grant Hackett anyway ?  never heard of him....

174018[/snapback]

I used to play footy with his cousin Cant Hackett but he quit cause it got too rough :lol::D

arh there will be some other aussie to take over his 1500m crown!!!! We (Oz) own that race.

Pity he cant race though.

173874[/snapback]

I remember hearing that Ky Hurst was going to give the 1500m a try again for the commonwealth games.

Does anyone know if he has dropped his times to become competitive?

That's assuming swimming straight line in flat water

Nope, it's not. It's based on the times for the 5K open water event at last year's World's, so I'm assuming that whatever deviation from a perfect straight line (navigation, waves etc.) which happened there, would also apply in the 3.8km.

That wasn't the point yoyo. A while ago a comparison was drawn between IM bikers and TdF bikers and who would win a 180km TT. Someone thought the IM bikers would. I'm just using these results to compare pure swimmers & triathletes.

And lest you think 38 vs 46mins isn't that great, give the swimmers wetties and I reckon 36 would be fair, so you're looking at a 10min gain over 46mins, or about 22% faster.

WR Marathon 2:04 is 100% => 122% is 2:52

4:20 IM Bike is 122% => 100% is 3:33!!

I've no idea if there even is a world 180k TT record but it's unlikely to be 3:33 (54km/h) so we can conclude that triathletes are much stronger cyclists than they are swimmers or runners.

That wasn't the point yoyo. A while ago a comparison was drawn between IM bikers and TdF bikers and who would win a 180km TT. Someone thought the IM bikers would. I'm just using these results to compare pure swimmers & triathletes.

And lest you think 38 vs 46mins isn't that great, give the swimmers wetties and I reckon 36 would be fair, so you're looking at a 10min gain over 46mins, or about 22% faster.

I've no idea if there even is a world 180k TT record but it's unlikely to be 3:33 (54km/h) so we can conclude that triathletes are much stronger cyclists than they are swimmers or runners.

174044[/snapback]

This is an interesting discussion. And it is interesting Webswim that threads comparing pure cyclists and runners to triathletes are seemingly regular fixtures on Triathlon forums, yet seldom does one see threads comparing the times of pure swimmers to triathletes. Why is this?

Because we all know that in the sport of Triathlon, swimming time (particularly in the 1/2 and full IM, less so at OD) has considerably less bearing on your overall result than the bike or run. Maybe if the IM swim was 5-6km and the half IM 3-3.3km we would attract more former elite swimmers and surf life savers over to the sport. Of course i am not saying that we dont attract them now. I make no secret of the fact that I think the 'tri' in triathlon isnt quite there yet and will not be until bike and run distances are more commensurate with the swim distance.

174044[/snapback]

Webby, redo your maths, the increase in Marathon times should be 139% (you've counted 2h52m as 152 mins).

That makes the 180km TT by your reasoning 3h07m. But you can't compare relative running times to relative cycling times since going faster than 4h20m for 180k means a HUGE increase in power due to the increase in drag. Thus, I can be relatively closer to the top cyclists than I can to the top marathoners in terms of % time, but that doesn't mean I'm a better cyclist than runner.

Webby, redo your maths, the increase in Marathon times should be 139% (you've counted 2h52m as 152 mins).

That makes the 180km TT by your reasoning 3h07m. But you can't compare relative running times to relative cycling times since going faster than 4h20m for 180k means a HUGE increase in power due to the increase in drag. Thus, I can be relatively closer to the top cyclists than I can to the top marathoners in terms of % time, but that doesn't mean I'm a better cyclist than runner.

Yep, I screwed up AGAIN on simple maths. At least I can blame the flu at the moment :lol:

However, it's the marathon time which changes, not the cycle.

Elite swimmer 22% faster than elite triathlete (36 -> 46)

Elite runner 29% faster than elite triathlete (2:04 -> 2:40)

Elite cyclists are unlikely to be more than 10-15% faster than elite triathletes (3:46-3:56 -> 4:20)

So, once again, triathletes are far better cyclists than they are swimmers. Factoring in drag would mean that you'd expect them to be closer to elite swimmers as there's FAR more drag associated with an increase in swim speed than bike speed. Run percentage difference is affected too much by the previous bike effort.