Victorian Coronavirus Inquiry & Vic Gov’s handling of quarantining

Hey @Prince, just reporting in from the  cave you told me to "crawl into" last week.😁

Former Liberal leader John Hewson discussing  the Aged Care Royal Commission:

"The federal government has a clear, overarching responsibility for aged care, but this week it has moved to blatant blame-shifting. The Minister for Aged Care, Richard Colbeck, has told us that while the federal government is “responsible for the management and regulation of aged care”, it is the responsibility of the states to “manage the pandemic” because they are “responsible for the public health response”. What semantics. What a copout.

Colbeck claimed his government did indeed have a “plan” (even while evidence to the royal commission said it didn’t), but “we didn’t get it all right” – and “there are some circumstances where things haven’t gone as we would have liked”. Such as the outbreak at St Basil's in Victoria, for which he placed the blame on the home for not notifying his authorities for some five days.

The federal aged care regulator has since had to correct evidence it gave to the Senate inquiry. It admitted St Basil's notified it of the infections on July 10, fours days earlier than it originally claimed."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-10/royal-commission-aged-care-examines-government-coronavirus-plan/12541246

And whilst we're at it. Why is the Federal government attempting to block applications by the Royal  Commission for Ministers to appear before it?

Well the Victorian health minister has now stood down or stripped or sacked by dan . Expected after she basically confessed it was her fault last weekend on twitter. 

Edited by Peter

Combined with this, what a bloody disgrace. How they can treat our most vulnerable like this... How in the **** could they not have masks compulsory in aged care homes?? 

"Australia’s aged care sector is “not properly prepared now” for COVID-19, leaving hundreds of elderly residents at the mercy of the deadly virus.

In damning submissions to the aged care royal commission, Peter Rozen QC, senior counsel assisting the royal commission, has warned the system has failed the elderly and their families.

And after avoiding censure over the aged care crisis until now, he warned the buck must stop with the Morrison Government which is responsible for aged care."

• Like 1
7 hours ago, more said:

Combined with this, what a bloody disgrace. How they can treat our most vulnerable like this... How in the **** could they not have masks compulsory in aged care homes?? 

"Australia’s aged care sector is “not properly prepared now” for COVID-19, leaving hundreds of elderly residents at the mercy of the deadly virus.

In damning submissions to the aged care royal commission, Peter Rozen QC, senior counsel assisting the royal commission, has warned the system has failed the elderly and their families.

And after avoiding censure over the aged care crisis until now, he warned the buck must stop with the Morrison Government which is responsible for aged care."

ahhh, but you forgot to mention:

The counsel assisting the royal commission argued there were three key failures responsible for the mess.

“In our submission what emerges from the evidence are three key conclusions,’’ he said.

“A) COVID-19 is presented and continues to present the Australian aged care sector with an unprecedented challenge.

“B) Everyone involved both in aged care home and in Government has worked and is working very diligently to respond to that challenge. And

“C) None of the problems that have been associated with the response of the aged care sector to COVID-19 was unforeseeable.”

but hey, I applaud you both for seeking out this opportunity for another Morrison bash. 

Edited by Prince
2 hours ago, Prince said:

ahhh, but you forgot to mention:

but hey, I applaud you both for seeking out this opportunity for another Morrison bash. 

lol I've said it once I'll say it again, the people on this forum are all insane...

I get attacked for bashing the left all the time, so posted the article and with some harsh criticism of the federal government as an experiment to see what the response would be if I also bashed the right...

Sure enough I get attacked as usual, however this time though for 'another Morrison bash'..

There really should be more posts in the mental health thread..

From Wiki for you Turts...

"In contemporary Australian political culture, the Coalition (Liberal and National parties) is considered centre-right and the Australian Labor Party is considered centre-left"

The Australian Labor Party (ALP) is a social democratic party. It is a left leaning party with tendency towards social welfare and government assistance programs. It was founded by the Australian labour movement and broadly represents the urban working and middle classes.

The Liberal Party of Australia is a party of the centre-right which broadly represents businesses, the urban middle classes and many rural people. Its permanent coalition partner at national level is the National Party of Australia, formerly known as the Country Party, a conservative party which represents rural interests.

Edited by more
2 hours ago, more said:

lol I've said it once I'll say it again, the people on this forum are all insane...

I get attacked for bashing the left all the time, so posted the article and with some harsh criticism of the federal government as an experiment to see what the response would be if I also bashed the right...

Sure enough I get attacked as usual, however this time though for 'another Morrison bash'..

There really should be more posts in the mental health thread..

So doesn't that just show that it's not just the left attacking people for posting fact. :)

• Like 1

So there is this article, there are other sources that show the ladies name who sent the email 
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/daughter-rang-every-day-while-father-was-dying-of-covid19-at-newmarch-house/news-story/7176423a2909844974fe82ffabda821c

There is mounting evidence that care workers were not made to do at least the most basic of COVID-19 Infection Control modules (our club management committee has asked everyone on the race team to do the basic one). These courses are FREE and do not take long.

I hate everyone equally. 🤣

Not having a go at you More, but maybe what's causing you so much frustration is that no one else seems to have your level of disdain for Dan and his handling of this?  Neither from the left, middle, nor the right of the political affiliations on here?  So everyone says you should take a chill pill, and it pissed you of even more as you can't fathom why more of its stent raging?

That doesn't really answer anything for you, and I'm sure it doesn't make you feel any better.  Be pissed mate, let it out (constructively, no point being given a holiday).

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, goughy said:

Not having a go at you More, but maybe what's causing you so much frustration is that no one else seems to have your level of disdain for Dan and his handling of this?  Neither from the left, middle, nor the right of the political affiliations on here?  So everyone says you should take a chill pill, and it pissed you of even more as you can't fathom why more of its stent raging?

That doesn't really answer anything for you, and I'm sure it doesn't make you feel any better.  Be pissed mate, let it out (constructively, no point being given a holiday).

I'm frustrated (amused...) because all the people on here jumping in the conversation aren't even from Victoria, they have no comprehension at all what we are going through.They get a glimpse of a news article and think they know what they are talking about,...it has been quite a hilarious experience. 

Peter is from Victoria and surprise surprise he has a similar view towards Dan as me...

It really does just shows the type of people we have on this site.

Lets just say it was YOU that were locked up inside your house, not allowed outside for no more than 1 hour a day, when you do get your one hour of fresh air it is from behind a mask,  not allowed out AT ALL between 8pm and 5am., not able to travel more than 5km from your house, stuck with family getting increasing stressed, friends and family loosing jobs, reports of suicide, people losing their lives to the virus...all for at least another 5 weeks!!

Yeah you might feel a little frustrated, heck you might even vent a little towards a guy who has widely been reported as being responsible...?

But no, the pack of muppets on here know better and would prefer to argue and tell you to keep your frustration to yourself. Pathetic bunch of internet heroes....I vent towards Dan and they show their 'understanding' by letting their silly political bias get in the way and attack me.

Pathetic...and hilarious..but more pathetic

Thanks, I do feel better now :)

Edited by more
14 minutes ago, more said:

I'm frustrated (amused...) because all the people on here jumping in the conversation aren't even from Victoria, they have no comprehension at all what we are going through.They get a glimpse of a news article and think they know what they are talking about,...it has been quite a hilarious experience. 

Peter is from Victoria and surprise surprise he has a similar view towards Dan as me...

Lets just say it was YOU that were locked up inside your house, not allowed outside for no more than 1 hour a day, when you do get your one hour of fresh air it is from behind a mask,  not allowed out AT ALL between 8pm and 5am., not able to travel more than 5km from your house, stuck with family getting increasing stressed, friends and family loosing jobs, reports of suicide, people losing their lives to the virus...all for at least another 5 weeks!!

Yeah you might feel a little frustrated, heck you might even vent a little towards a guy who has widely been reported as being responsible...?

But no, the pack of muppets on here know better and would prefer to argue and tell you to keep your frustration to yourself. Pathetic bunch of internet heroes....I vent towards Dan and they show their 'understanding' by letting their silly political bias get in the way and attack me.

I would be totally pissed off, i actually cant believe whats going on. PS i have been speaking to pete on the phone about it

28 minutes ago, more said:

Can well understand your frustration. I get frustrated though by everyone pointing fingers at our leaders ,regardless of which side of politics, who will always make mistakes  on something no one was prepared for and surely any level headed 'muppet' would understand that they are doing their best and don't make decisions lightly, nor do they wish any harm to one single human being young or old. Nor do they wish anyone to lose their jobs. If you think hard about that for a minute, you might come to the conclusion, that it aint good for any of their future election aspirations. Most of the criticism i have seen are these so called keyboard 'experts' whose only brilliance is hindsight. Gosh, so clever...

I haven't seen many posts where anyone has acknowledged we have a virus which is unprecedented, not understood as yet, and no one has the answers, especially not here, in the media, nor by any expert. 

. Maybe blame Chayna if you really want to find someone to blame.  

Edited by Prince
  • Like 3
20 minutes ago, Prince said:

Can well understand your frustration. I get frustrated though by everyone pointing fingers at our leaders ,regardless of which side of politics, who will always make mistakes  on something no one was prepared for and surely any level headed 'muppet' would understand that they are doing their best and don't make decisions lightly, nor do they wish any harm to one single human being young or old. Nor do they wish anyone to lose their jobs. If you think hard about that for a minute, you might come to the conclusion, that it aint good for any of their future election aspirations. Most of the criticism i have seen are these so called keyboard 'experts' whose only brilliance is hindsight. Gosh, so clever...

I haven't seen many posts where anyone has acknowledged we have a virus which is unprecedented, not understood as yet, and no one has the answers, especially not here, in the media, nor by any expert. 

What state are you from?

29 minutes ago, Prince said:

Just because you are 'doing your best' doesn't mean it IS the best, or should be immune from criticism, especially when you actions can indirectly result in the loss of life.

I sure hope you never get a doctor that stuffs up the surgery...but so long as he  'doing his best' then I guess its all good ;)

12 minutes ago, more said:

Just because you are 'doing your best' doesn't mean it IS the best, or should be immune from criticism, especially when you actions can indirectly result in the loss of life.

I sure hope you never get a doctor that stuffs up the surgery...but so long as he  'doing his best' then I guess its all good ;)

Says it all as far as i am concerned, maybe some on here need a reality check as well:

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has called for a reality check to Australians demanding perfection from those dealing with the coronavirus pandemic.

"Each and every day, they are all just doing their best to ensure that Australians are not let down during this period," he said in a media conference.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fafeb28bd-f236-4b61-a962-eba22df81dcc

"And the sad truth is, some days, we fall short. And other days, we don't.

"On some days, the pandemic gets the better of us, and on other days, it doesn't."

Mr Morrison said nobody has ever had to deal with something like the coronavirus pandemic before.

"There are no absolute guarantees in a global pandemic.

"There are no absolute assurances that can be provided.

"I think great that Australians have high expectations of the services and standards and facilities, whether it's in a school or a hospital, an aged care facility - anywhere. That's what Australia should aspire to. And that's what everybody seeks to do each and every single day."

Edited by Prince
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Prince said:

Says it all as far as i am concerned, maybe some on here need a reality check as well:

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has called for a reality check to Australians demanding perfection from those dealing with the coronavirus pandemic."

I guess you would say something like this after being found to have failed the aged care sector...

1 minute ago, more said:

I guess you would say something like this after being found to have failed the aged care sector...

he hasn't been 'found' of anything actually. 

1 hour ago, more said:

And that 'argument' would be just as irrelevant there as it is here

There are plenty of Liverpool fans who have never been to Anfield

Can you "righties" get your stories straight?  :lol: 

1 hour ago, more said:

I agree with you, I was in the same position but the muppet was Trump, when vented towards Trump:

understanding' by letting their silly political bias get in the way and attack me.

Was used

5 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

If you have not had a family member or friend die of COVID you are not allowed to post on this either

If you haven’t done an ironman stay off trichat 

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Peter said:

If you haven’t done an ironman stay off trichat 

We are just trying to follow the rules, set by a few who are not following them. Only Vix allowed to comment on this, so I am almost certain I qualify as the only person allowed to talk about Trumps handling of the response.

Edited by BarryBevan
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

We are just trying to follow the rules, set by a few who are not following them. Only Vix allowed to comment on this, so I am almost certain I qualify as the only person allowed to talk about Trumps handling of the response.

But you aren’t American.  

I might be one of the ones that said something before, but I'll repeat it because I feel that one person in particular took it wrong. 

The way I feel about it, anyone can comment or have an opinion on anything. However the context is important. If the information on which you are basing your opinion is third hand facebook shares, then I wouldn't take your opinion on a situation as particularly close to fact. But if you live there, or have lived through it, and have first hand experience and facts, then your opinion or comment clearly carries more weight. 

I have a problem with people stating things as fact, when it may not necessarily be. 

Context is everything in understanding someones statements. 

When @more was stating for a fact what was and was not done in Melbourne for those who do not speak english, I asked how they knew.  Reading opinions on facebook is different form living it.  @more lived it so could accurately state the fact based on their experience.  If I sat here in regional Vic stating what information has or has not been given to migrant communities in Melbourne, it would be likely pure rubbish, unless I had immediate family there or such. 

The further the source form the speaker, the less likely for a full factual version.  Anyone play chinese whispers as a kid?

It's not rocket science.  

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Oh very good, does that mean we just lock the Trump thread until we get a US citizen?

I’ve always said anything goes in the sandbox. 

but be prepared to take it.

like bogfrog calling me a ****wit. I can handle it. Sadly she couldn’t. 

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

I’ve always said anything goes in the sandbox. 

but be prepared to take it.

like bogfrog calling me a ****wit. I can handle it. Sadly she couldn’t. 

You got of light.

Just for those that don’t know Dan Andrews spent 1.6 billion to not build a tunnel. 

with a B.  

its why he’s not liked.  Well that and the lying. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Like bogfrog calling me a ****wit. I can handle it. Sadly she couldn’t. 

No I didn't. I requested to go do something,  which I have already said I shouldn't have written. I admit my mistakes...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Just for those that don’t know Dan Andrews spent 1.6 billion to not build a tunnel.

Libs shouldn't have signed the contract in the last seconds before the election they knew they were about to loose!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Peter said:

with a B.  

Final cost to the vic tax payer was only $642,000,000 in the end but who’s counting?😂😂  Just think what you could do with that now? Oh and Dan did say there wouldn’t be any cost in canceling a legally binding contract  

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/7012618

5 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Libs shouldn't have signed the contract in the last seconds before the election they knew they were about to loose!

As per my other reply Dan said he was going to rip it up and people believed him. Don’t get me wrong I’m not arguing that it should have been built just Dan promised something and then didn’t deliver. 

8 hours ago, more said:

I'm frustrated (amused...) because all the people on here jumping in the conversation aren't even from Victoria, they have no comprehension at all what we are going through.

Thankfully I meet More's specifications to be allowed to comment as I am currently enjoying the current lockdown in Melbourne.

Personally right now I feel politicians and parties at all levels are doing a reasonable job under the circumstances. Given the majority of us have not had to live through a global pandemic I think they are doing their best.

Yes all have made some pretty serious mistakes and in the future heads can roll. Right now the important thing is to note these mistakes and not repeat them! Can't right now lock people back on the Ruby Princes or go back in time and use real security at the quarantine hotels. That horse unfortunately bolted already!

3 minutes ago, truck said:

As per my other reply Dan said he was going to rip it up and people believed him. Don’t get me wrong I’m not arguing that it should have been built just Dan promised something and then didn’t deliver.

Yes, Both sides behaved like typical politicians on the campaign trail! Neither  side came out smelling like roses...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Peter said:

with a B.  

That appeared to do nothing to dent his popularity. In fact he has only become more popular since first being elected and won the last election in a landslide while promising to spend $50 billion (read $100 billion plus) on 90km of underground tunneling that no one has ever asked for.  When it comes to big $$ an infrastructure Victoria puts up with some odd stuff.

He was also just as popular after the CFA and Jane Garret saga. Spending taxpayer money on campaigning didn't dent his popularity either. 

He has been very very popular. And is known for getting stuff done and delivering. 

Turns out it is just covid that has made him less popular. But while there have been some serious mistakes there I wouldn't want his job right now. 

But isn't this thread about coronavirus related political point scoring :D

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, dazaau said:

That appeared to do nothing to dent his popularity. In fact he has only become more popular since first being elected and won the last election in a landslide while promising to spend $50 billion (read $100 billion plus) on 90km of underground tunneling that no one has ever asked for.  When it comes to big $$ an infrastructure Victoria puts up with some odd stuff.

He was also just as popular after the CFA and Jane Garret saga. Spending taxpayer money on campaigning didn't dent his popularity either. 

He has been very very popular. And is known for getting stuff done and delivering. 

I think Dan getting re-elected had more to do with the quality of the opposition leader. Pretty much the same way Scomo got the job.

To a certain degree, it'll be why AP and Labor will probably win the next qld election.