Sign in to follow this  
Paul Every

Political decisions from across the divide.

Let's have a thread looking at politics from another angle.

There's a broad spectrum of political opinions, beliefs and allegiances on the forum. The political threads may at times be fun, entertaining, informative or even frustrating, they're often also polarising.

When have you been impressed by the political decisions from a leader, a government or a party of whom you wouldn't or didn't vote for, or usually disagree? Which pollies and the parties have, on occasions, made decisions for which you given them full credit and admiration?

To keep this positive:

• Don't post caveats, back-handed compliments or use it an avenue for other criticisms. eg. "After Iran launched a missile to scupper the US military drone last year, I didn't expect Trump to show admirable and uncharacteristic restraint and not follow Bolton and Pompeo's hawkish urgings to bomb the shit out of Iran. Given Trump's shortsightedness with pulling out of the Iran nuclear deal and his strategic incompetence in global politics, an excellent decision may well have been made due to luck rather then political nouse".
  • Conversely, it's OK to use other political decisions to give a frame of reference, but keep it in perspective and the intended spirit of the thread. eg Something like this is OK: "I was disappointed in Sco-mo's handling of the bushfire situation over summer, but I was surprised and generally impressed with the leadership he has shown with covid".
  • If someone posts an example you disagree with, don't reply with a post contesting it. If you really wish to discuss it further, quote the post on a more appropriate thread and discuss it there, (Aust politics or Trumps thread, etc) or if applicable, start another thread on the topic altogether.

Basically, let's give a little consideration as to how we make our point to prevent the thread from degenerating. We can be degenerates elsewhere in the Sandbox! ;)

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 1

Two to start the ball rolling.

• 1988. Nick Greiner's NSW Liberal government instituting ICAC (Independent Commission Against Corruption)
  • 1996. John Howard's reform of gun laws following the Port Arthur massacre. Particularly noteworthy as he had to bring along others in the government, particualry members in Nats, who were reluctant.
  • Like 2

Not a Labor supporter at all but......I thought Bob Carr was a particularly good Labor Premier. And that was before I went to his farewell dinner where he spoke ad lib for about 30 mins......didn't miss a beat and captured everyones attention. Labor have been left wanting ever since. 

Does anyone remember when they were planning on building the M2.......and Carr said, If I get elected/re-elected no trees will be cut down. They all got cut down the night before the election - Carr was no dummy. :)

2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

1996. John Howard's reform of gun laws following the Port Arthur massacre. Particularly noteworthy as he had to bring along others in the government, particualry members in Nats, who were reluctant.

This. Whilst I loved going shooting out west when I was travelling with work, and had to hand in my gun for basically nothing, this in my mind was one of the best hard line decisions I've seen in my time as a voting adult. I was a bit pissed off at the time, but looking back it was a great decision, and must have made him enemies amongst the coalition at the time.

• Like 1