roxii

How are the pro's going in Covid?

For those that know or follow Pro triathletes on social media how are they going and surviving given their ability to make a dollar has been knocked on the head? I assume sponsorship's may also dry up or have "performance" clauses that are impossible to meet. 

Would be interested to know how they are going or what they have changed to adapt to the current situation.  

A few building brands on other socials: Frodo, Finlay/Lagerstrom, Crowley, Tim&Rinny kinda fit here

Extra sponsor plugs: True, Reed, Jackson

Trees and annoying Ash: Amberger

A lot showing more day to day family stuff and going on each others podcasts  

• Like 1

Speaking from the two wheeled side of things - The cycling industry seems to be BOOMING at the grassroots level... while at the competition level it's effectively non-existent. You'd be hard done by having a race performance clause biting you on the arse in 2020 when there's no real opportunity to perform... However... company/brand/product/marketing wise there's a metric shitton to be gained if the athletes work on that side of things. At the end of the day, any prick can win a race. It's the nice guys/gals coming 5th that I'd follow. And almost every brand I speak to at the moment are quietly doing very well. 

The trick is not deviating too much from their normal content/persona/etc. How you cook pasta while stuck at home isn't interesting. How you smashed out that training session and motivated yourself with no confirmed races on the horizon is interesting. (well, to me anyway). 

• Like 3

Think the zwift pro series have been great. For those who do this as hackers I love watching pros smash it up on zwift for 30 minutes.

From a brand and marketing point of view I am more engaged with cycling since it went virtual, that is the athletes, the platform, the trainers and the events

8 hours ago, gplama said:

The trick is not deviating too much from their normal content/persona/etc. How you cook pasta while stuck at home isn't interesting. How you smashed out that training session and motivated yourself with no confirmed races on the horizon is interesting. (well, to me anyway). 

Or set an everesting record, twice.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gplama said:

Speaking from the two wheeled side of things - The cycling industry seems to be BOOMING at the grassroots level... while at the competition level it's effectively non-existent. You'd be hard done by having a race performance clause biting you on the arse in 2020 when there's no real opportunity to perform... However... company/brand/product/marketing wise there's a metric shitton to be gained if the athletes work on that side of things. At the end of the day, any prick can win a race. It's the nice guys/gals coming 5th that I'd follow. And almost every brand I speak to at the moment are quietly doing very well. 

But PJ’s short ribs do look up there with a date with Tom Cruise 🤔

• Haha 2

A colleague of mine is a pro triathlete in Melbourne.  Has been very tough with no swimming available still.

PTO has been very helpful (paying in $USD!). The Ironman VR races actually pay quite reasonable 'appearance' money. Sponsors have been largely supportive. 

All in a bit of a holding pattern. A bit more social media work but otherwise it's been a bit more emphasis on gym/bike/run without the swim.

• Like 1

I tend to follow the ITU racing more and feel these athletes seem to be more affected. None of them would be based in Aus at the moment and they train in squads which some haven't been able to join so any training is solo which they wouldn't be used to. The couple of Queensland squads appear to be back training as normal, be it the other side of the world to their norm this time of year. For those that finish races at the pointy end there would also be quite a big $$ hit to the year. Also I would think a lot of their sponsor contracts may be performance based and Olympic cycle based also, meaning needing renewal any time now without any racing performances to show. I am interested to see  what happens when WTS racing resumes, (at this stage early Sept) who, if anyone, decides to head overseas and race. Would like to know what TA are expecting from them.

Saw Ash and Josh out on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail on the weekend. Josh later giving Ash a hard time on insta after she walked her bike through the mud. 

Emma Jeffcoat was based in Melbourne but moved back to the northern beaches a few months ago, training with Tamzyn Moana-Veale and doing some nursing work on the side.  I'm guessing they'll both be stuck here for the time being

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

Saw Ash and Josh out on the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail on the weekend. Josh later giving Ash a hard time on insta after she walked her bike through the mud. 

They also raced the ITT out at Ipswich on the weekend just gone.

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Emma Jeffcoat was based in Melbourne but moved back to the northern beaches a few months ago, training with Tamzyn Moana-Veale and doing some nursing work on the side.  I'm guessing they'll both be stuck here for the time being

On a podcast she mentioned this nursing was she had put her name down if needed to answer covid hotline calls because could do that from home. Doubt she would have been called on for shifts too much as NSW hasn't been too bad, so unlikely to be getting much income supplement there.  Although that could all be about to change with rising cases now. Tamsyn must have left Vic to Join Jeffcoat just in time.

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 10:38 AM, roxii said:

For those that know or follow Pro triathletes on social media how are they going and surviving given their ability to make a dollar has been knocked on the head? I assume sponsorship's may also dry up or have "performance" clauses that are impossible to meet. 

Would be interested to know how they are going or what they have changed to adapt to the current situation.  

I don't follow any Pro-Athletes.  I do however follow MJK on Insta and FB. 

I ain't going to learn anything following Pro-Athletes. I learn lots following MJK.

• Like 1

Just now, IronmanFoz said:

I ain't going to learn anything following Pro-Athletes. I learn lots following MJK.

Sorry..sorry. re: Pro athletes...... I also follow IronJimbo :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Sorry..sorry. re: Pro athletes...... I also follow IronJimbo :)

Ahem.  Thankyou... 

16 minutes ago, Trier said:

On a podcast she mentioned this nursing was she had put her name down if needed to answer covid hotline calls because could do that from home. Doubt she would have been called on for shifts too much as NSW hasn't been too bad, so unlikely to be getting much income supplement there.  Although that could all be about to change with rising cases now. Tamsyn must have left Vic to Join Jeffcoat just in time.

Emma is back home with her parents which would obviously help 

27 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Can't learn anything at all from a Pro?

6 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Can't learn anything at all from a Pro?

You got it. You rarely see them post anything of value that is educational to punters like us. Pro’s generally aren’t coaches hence don’t teach. If you know of any feel free to send them my way.

i once followed a local pro but soon hit the delete button as I got sick of them throwing products down my throat. There was always an angle.

8 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

You got it. You rarely see them post anything of value that is educational to punters like us. Pro’s generally aren’t coaches hence don’t teach. If you know of any feel free to send them my way.

i once followed a local pro but soon hit the delete button as I got sick of them throwing products down my throat. There was always an angle.

I’m too old and fat to stay on Berg’s wheel.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, trilobite said:

I’m too old and fat to stay on Berg’s wheel.

I've sat behind him a number of times out on Mt Glorious Rd. Even pass him most times.

And I always make sure I give him the 1.5m as is the rules when driving past a cyclist. ;)

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I get it but I think we can all learn from some of them, even if its Lionel's way of approaching. There are a lot of pros and many are not going to teach much, guess its find ones that do.

Triathlon is a funny thing in that you can still do well in spite of the principles or belief system applied. As long as you do lots of it a lot of the time people generally improve and do well. 

This can even result in coaches who have limited knowledge of science, human body and nutrition getting good results. They still get people to train a lot of time aerobically and commit so their theories generally do little harm as they are largely irrelevant to the process.

The models which struggle the most are the do it in 5 hours using HIIT or just too much load.

I admit to following few pros, well Holly Lawrence😊

55 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

I get it but I think we can all learn from some of them, even if its Lionel's way of approaching. There are a lot of pros and many are not going to teach much, guess its find ones that do.

100% agree - you just have to find that pro that feeds bit of knowledge. Not exactly easy as it would be a hard gig making a living in triathlon hence they need to push what then can. And on that...some people push a product and then a month later they are pushing another product which sort of contradicts what they have previously push. I always wonder.....where does there loyaly lie!

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

100% agree - you just have to find that pro that feeds bit of knowledge. Not exactly easy as it would be a hard gig making a living in triathlon hence they need to push what then can. And on that...some people push a product and then a month later they are pushing another product which sort of contradicts what they have previously push. I always wonder.....where does there loyaly lie!

Yes I would not buy a product on there sponsorship see Rapp and Dimond. Some pro insights into how they train, eg Shortis over the years is good.

The formula is the same for most, train lots for a long time

On 30/07/2020 at 1:47 PM, BNothling said:

They also raced the ITT out at Ipswich on the weekend just gone.

Yeh they jumped on the trail after the TT. Must've packed 4 bikes in the truck. They're having another go this weekend too.

19 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Triathlon is a funny thing in that you can still do well in spite of the principles or belief system applied. As long as you do lots of it a lot of the time people generally improve and do well. 

This can even result in coaches who have limited knowledge of science, human body and nutrition getting good results. They still get people to train a lot of time aerobically and commit so their theories generally do little harm as they are largely irrelevant to the process.

The models which struggle the most are the do it in 5 hours using HIIT or just too much load.

I admit to following few pros, well Holly Lawrence😊

So you mean I don’t need to agonise over whether MAF Or Karvonen method is better?

And it’s ok if I’m planning my trip here?

https://creationmuseum.org/

You don’t need to necessarily learn anything from them. 
For some, maybe a lot of pros their social media is their currency.

i follow the pros I like to give them one more follower and hopefully that helps them with their sponsorships. 
Costs me nothing and hopefully helps them out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trilobite said:

So you mean I don’t need to agonise over whether MAF Or Karvonen method is better?

And it’s ok if I’m planning my trip here?

https://creationmuseum.org/

I don't know about the latter. I wouldn't agonize over the former. MAF will get a lot of people really good results, though its not due to the underlying reasons and magic of zones.

It does support people being able to train a lot aerobically with appropriate doses of specific intensity.

I'd rather follow a pro rather than a coach who gets his content blocked by FB

On 01/08/2020 at 9:41 AM, BarryBevan said:

I'd rather follow a pro rather than a coach who gets his content blocked by FB

I don't understand.  Assume you are referring to somebody ???

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I don't understand.  Assume you are referring to somebody ???

2 hours ago, trilobite said:

I don’t thinks this guy posts here 🤔

https://www.trisutto.com/en/teams/trisutto

Nah. There's a mate of B@W's that has had links he puts up in FB blocked due to them being a bit short on actual truth or fact. Usually topical political stuff, similar problem to a certain world leader has these days. Probably doesn't realise it's false until after the fact.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1