trilobite

PJ in the mainstream media

I'd love to see him back, just for himself!  Kinda seemed like the Ian Baker Finch of triathlon.  But at 38, has he missed the boat.

Hope it all works out for him.

2 minutes ago, goughy said:

I'd love to see him back, just for himself!  Kinda seemed like the Ian Baker Finch of triathlon.  But at 38, has he missed the boat.

He's having his best year in yonks. 

You show me an athlete with better results than him in the last 3 months.     :lol: 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, goughy said:

He won't win Kona again, but he could still do OK.

24 minutes ago, roxii said:

He's having his best year in yonks. 

You show me an athlete with better results than him in the last 3 months.     :lol: 

Agreed. Hasn't been beaten in ages.

5 hours ago, trilobite said:

I spent some time with him and had dinner with him in China back in November.  He seems to be very studious in the matter of meat eating. And he was the happiest I’ve seen him. 

4 hours ago, zed said:

He won't win Kona again, but he could still do OK.

He’s won it once.  That’s good enough.  Keep winning 70.3 events for nice cash and free travel around the world is a sweet gig. 

there are only about 4 guys currently going around that could win Kona and they aren’t from Australia.  So should all aussies give up racing Ironman events?

i can’t believe you guys pick on a great Kona champion like PJ  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peter said:

I spent some time with him and had dinner with him in China back in November.  He seems to be very studious in the matter of meat eating. And he was the happiest I’ve seen him. 

He’s won it once.  That’s good enough.  Keep winning 70.3 events for nice cash and free travel around the world is a sweet gig. 

there are only about 4 guys currently going around that could win Kona and they aren’t from Australia.  So should all aussies give up racing Ironman events?

i can’t believe you guys pick on a great Kona champion like PJ  

When did he last win a 70.3..? Even one with a dud field? 

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Stalking him at the carbo loading dinner doesn't count.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Stalking him at the carbo loading dinner doesn't count.

Actually it was at dodgy Chinese joint.  

no carbo in China  

I was stalking another pro at the awards night.  You know me well. 

15 hours ago, trilobite said:

I spent 30 days on a full carnivore diet at the end of last year (November), and it was a miracle for me.

Can't comment on how it would work for other people/long term but once I adjusted to it (took me almost 2 weeks to be completely immersed, I was seriously sugar addicted and had cold sweats the first nights), I have never felt such mental clarity before.

Incase anyone reads this who is interested, they can ask away.

I did full extreme carnivore. Only meat cooked in butter and only drank water. I allowed myself the concession of espresso. In the 4th week I allowed myself some cheese and plain organic yoghurt. Salt and pepper only seasoning. 

I coupled it with intermittent fasting (16hours fasting, 8 hours eating window). I'd usually eat two meals in the 8 hour window. I'd do a swimming squad on the back end of the fast, and eat afterwards.  

Only needed an average of 6 hours per night of sleep and it felt like being on cocaine all day. I'll never ever forget the feeling. The reason I stopped was that there is just no research done on the long term effects of it, and I just can't believe it can be good for you to only eat meat forever...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Horowitz said:

I spent 30 days on a full carnivore diet at the end of last year (November), and it was a miracle for me.

Can't comment on how it would work for other people/long term but once I adjusted to it (took me almost 2 weeks to be completely immersed, I was seriously sugar addicted and had cold sweats the first nights), I have never felt such mental clarity before.

I did full extreme carnivore. Only meat cooked in butter and only drank water. I allowed myself the concession of espresso. In the 4th week I allowed myself some cheese and plain organic yoghurt. Salt and pepper only seasoning. 

I coupled it with intermittent fasting (16hours fasting, 8 hours eating window). I'd usually eat two meals in the 8 hour window. I'd do a swimming squad on the back end of the fast, and eat afterwards.  

Only needed an average of 6 hours per night of sleep and it felt like being on cocaine all day. I'll never ever forget the feeling. The reason I stopped was that there is just no research done on the long term effects of it, and I just can't believe it can be good for you to only eat meat forever...

Do you have a family?  How did that routine fit in with the wife and kids?  Any time I have tried fasting or low carb it has been very difficult to fit in with family life, I can only imagine carnivore would be even harder!

7 hours ago, Horowitz said:

(took me almost 2 weeks to be completely immersed, I was seriously sugar addicted and had cold sweats the first nights), I have never felt such mental clarity before.

Were you on a low-carb/keto diet prior to starting carnivore? If not, do you think a lot of the effects starting would have been lessened, or non existent if you had already reduced carbs?

3 hours ago, Toolish said:

Do you have a family?  How did that routine fit in with the wife and kids?  Any time I have tried fasting or low carb it has been very difficult to fit in with family life, I can only imagine carnivore would be even harder!

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Were you on a low-carb/keto diet prior to starting carnivore? If not, do you think a lot of the effects starting would have been lessened, or non existent if you had already reduced carbs?

Just a partner who was overseas for 3 weeks at the time. It definitely helped that I was alone.

She was the one who put me up to it actually, and has supported my 16:8 fasting for most of last year. My ideal fast is 3pm to 7am (what I did during carnivore), but that works the worst in a home environment so I usually end up going 8pm - 12:00 so we can eat dinner together and then I just don't eat breakfast.

@Ex-Hasbeen I had done intermittent fasting and keto for around 6 months before this but I had started to really get off track (started having sugar again etc.) that's why I went for this.

11 hours ago, Horowitz said:

I've been toying with this recently.

Did you get any blood work pre & post this?

5 1/2 years ago, I did HFLC (don't know whether I achieved ketosis though) for 6 months & lost a good amount of weight (easily) after an MTB accident. This however didn't reflect well in my blood work, as both cholesterol (not necessarily a great indicator for heart disease) & blood glucose were for the first time on the high side or just over what the current guide lines determine to be healthy. So I returned to a more balance diet, smashing carbs (just less refined & processed than previous) again & everything has returned to the middle of the normal range for the last few years.

Would certainly like more mental clarity & the body to be less stiff, hence giving this carnivore diet a crack, but a little reserved due to the above. Currently doing IF 18:6  most days, with the occasional 3 dayer thrown into the mix every couple of weeks. While this keeps kgs in check & my blood work is good, I'd like more mental clarity & less stiffness in the old body that's for sure.

Is this something you would cycle & maybe just do 3 or 4 times a year? I'm not convinced yet that it a good long term permanent strategy health wise & or ethically

Did you follow any particular protocol?

Edited by Moshy

16 minutes ago, Moshy said:

Did you get any blood work pre & post this?

I did get a blood test done beforehand, but then didn't get the one afterwards!!
Have you read up on Dr. Sean Baker? He posts a lot of his results online, and is the most famous carnivore from what I've understood

17 minutes ago, Moshy said:

Is this something you would cycle & maybe just do 3 or 4 times a year? I'm not convinced yet that it a good long term permanent strategy health wise & or ethically

I think this is exactly it - I feel like doing this twice a year as a "detox" would work wonders. As mentioned, i'd be hesitant to do this full time but short term it would definitely help in my experience! 

19 minutes ago, Moshy said:

Did you follow any particular protocol?

After reading a lot online I ended up going with "animal products only". There are some people who swear by eating only red meat, and no cheese, eggs or yoghurt at all but it's already a really extreme diet and that just brings it next level.

Remember no ketchup or spices - salt and pepper only! 

First 2 weeks I did Meat, Butter, Water and espresso only. Then I started adding in cheese/yoghurt 

Funnily enough I once had water which was sitting in a bottle with a piece of lemon inside it, and it tasted as strong as Sprite to me. The lemon wasn't even in my glass or squeezed, but I was on such low sugar that just the hint of it sent my taste buds wild. 

I'm probably due for another 30 days soon. Maybe if we can get a few people together on the forum we can start together and have a thread where we whinge and complain 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Horowitz said:

Thanks for sharing, what was the main reason for doing this - weight loss, your high  sugar intake?

3 hours ago, Horowitz said:

Have you read up on Dr. Sean Baker? He posts a lot of his results online, and is the most famous carnivore from what I've understood

After reading a lot online I ended up going with "animal products only". There are some people who swear by eating only red meat, and no cheese, eggs or yoghurt at all but it's already a really extreme diet and that just brings it next level.

Can't say I've hear of 'im, but will look into S. Baker a little further. What sparked my interest, was Joe Rogan's interview with Jordan Peterson & his daughters success with this approach. Sounds like they're the more hardcore meat only types, but out of necessity w/ rheumatoid arthritis, skin conditions & mental health if I recall correctly, with all their issues resolved as a result.

3 hours ago, Horowitz said:

First 2 weeks I did Meat, Butter, Water and espresso only. Then I started adding in cheese/yoghurt.

I'm probably due for another 30 days soon. Maybe if we can get a few people together on the forum we can start together and have a thread where we whinge and complain 

I reckon if I can have cheese, eggs, red meat & salmon, 4 weeks should be doable, so count me in.

If it's a goer, how about starting mid August? Gives me time to get some blood work done & stock the freezer with eye fillet.

What's the go with olive oil & coconut oils do you know?

Primary objectives would be to reduce/eliminate general stiffness & improve mental clarity. Secondary would be to drop a few kegs, you can't be too rich, too skinny, or too good looking.......not sure what I'm going to do about the other 2 🤔 A little more energy wouldn't go astray either.

Mentions Darius Boyd move to a vegan diet last year..... Thats expalins the Bronco's issues...among several.

I've turned 50 so really started thinking about my health and my weight was increasing.   

I've been doing this since February, eating meat and saturated fat, eggs a bit of cheese, lots of salt.     Zero vegetables, zero fruit.  Still drink coffee, probably my only weakness..oh, cut beer but do do spirits if out or just have a want.

Never felt better, never slept better, incredibly clear in the mind.  Simply it works for me. I'm not saying it is for everyone, I have a mate that has been vegan for eight years and he feels great, sure he is a one off as most other people I know end up getting sick doing vegan, but we are all different.  I know I've done vegan myself but couldn't sustain it, just never felt full, and you need to supplement to be healthy doing vegan,  whereas with this I am full and its very easily.

I got my bloods done when I started, and have done two follow up bloods.... every metric has improved ridiculously and I mean an A4 sheet of 8 font tests with vial after vial coming out of your vein.  When i walked into the pathology, the lady just went oh no, one of these there are that many.  

I was just in shock at the last lot, the results go against everything you are taught but the results dont lie. Every metric improved.   The fats in my blood have halved consuming saturated fat and salt.... and when you look up how to lower them, Govt states eat more vegetables....  the reality is the more you research this, you discover how weak the literature is on the standard western diet we consume. 

I don't get a lot of spare time with work but even when i travel with this its very doable and you eat to full, no restrictions at all on how much food.  Its also very easy to cook, either whack some superfry in a pan and fry a steak away for a few minutes or you whack a shoulder of lamb or beef ribs in the oven and just come back later.  You dont have food cravings unless actually hungry then you eat to your full. 

How's it impact family, it hasn't, as its so simple.  If someone wants something, they can eat it, thats up to them.  

Good resource is Dr Paul Mason @ randwick and concord,  his evidence based keto on youtube is good, plus I think Shawn Baker was mentioned above and if you look up those two, they will lead to others.     Bakers podcast with joe rogan is reasonably entertaining, long though.

I'm at ironman weight now on thirty minutes exercise a day, well walking, nothing more than that. I managed to do that 30 mins on 14 occasions during July, 21 in June so you can see how much I'm doing.   Dropped 26 kilos since February stuffing myself with meat and salt.

Do your own research, do what works for you, and do it with the bloods to know whether your body is healing from the inside out or not.  It has surprised me no end as it goes against what you are told.   A few other people I know have started doing it after seeing my results, and whilst they are only two months in, they seem to be getting the same outcomes, feeling better, improved bloods across the board, dropping weight etc.

As said, though, each to their own. I'm not a doctor, do your own research.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 4:05 PM, Moshy said:

What's the go with olive oil & coconut oils do you know?

Fat, tallow, dripping are the go.    Superfry is awesome. Butter is ok.   You have to eat saturated fat with this.... as said, goes against everything.

Any fasting, Oompa? Or did you just eat whenever you felt like it? 

17 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Fat, tallow, dripping are the go.    Superfry is awesome. Butter is ok.   You have to eat saturated fat with this.... as said, goes against everything.

I remember I made Bone Broth twice a week, and used the layer of fat (freezes on top as a layer after you put it in the fridge) as my 'butter' when cooking.
Got 2kg of bones for basically nothing, which made me litres of broth which I had all day, and then I doubled up on the fat instead of throwing it out once separated. 

On 28/07/2020 at 12:09 PM, Surfer said:

Thanks for sharing, what was the main reason for doing this - weight loss, your high  sugar intake?

I didn't realise I was that addicted to sugar till I did it.
I had one soft drink every 6 months, and generally thought I was pretty good with it but I clearly wasn't. 
Would cave once a fortnight and just smash a bar of kitkat or something similarly horrible.

Main reason was weight loss but funnily enough that ended up being the least important benefit I got from all of it. I obviously lost a lot and that was great, but what it opened my eyes to were the other things mentioned 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Horowitz said:

Any fasting, Oompa? Or did you just eat whenever you felt like it? 

Not intentionally and occasionally get stuck with work.  I really just eat when hungry. 

Today I had four eggs at about 10.30am, 4 steaks at about 2.30pm (could have stopped at two but just thought, why not) and 3 lamb chops at about 5.30pm, all with salt.   The constant food craving from low fat/ processed/ carbs type food just goes after a week or so.   

Tomorrow, I may or may not have some eggs in the morning depending on if i'm hungry or not.  Looking at my day, I have a window to eat at around 11am, then not again to 5.30pm..... so if I dont feel like the eggs in the morning,  then if i miss 11am due to work... Im fasting...but it certainly isn't deliberate. lol.  Flip side is as you eat to full, you dont get hungry as much.   The 11am food will probably be half a chook tomorrow.  

Amazed how healthy I am now compared to when I exercised a lot.  It does people's heads in that you get healthy doing this, goes against all the marketing but people who you havn't seen for a while just see you and it blows them away.    All I would say is we are all different and if people do do it, get your bloods done so you can see for yourself.  

I certainly know we aren't meant to eat fruit or vegetables 24/7 like the Woolworth/ Coles/ et al marketing has created, unless of course you did see tomatoes growing in a northern european winter 300, 1000, 10000 years ago 24/7... I dont think you did, but in fairness, I wasn't alive way back then to know. I do know my jaw and digestive system is designed for meat.

39 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Not intentionally and occasionally get stuck with work.  I really just eat when hungry. 

Today I had four eggs at about 10.30am, 4 steaks at about 2.30pm (could have stopped at two but just thought, why not) and 3 lamb chops at about 5.30pm, all with salt.   The constant food craving from low fat/ processed/ carbs type food just goes after a week or so.   

Tomorrow, I may or may not have some eggs in the morning depending on if i'm hungry or not.  Looking at my day, I have a window to eat at around 11am, then not again to 5.30pm..... so if I dont feel like the eggs in the morning,  then if i miss 11am due to work... Im fasting...but it certainly isn't deliberate. lol.  Flip side is as you eat to full, you dont get hungry as much.   The 11am food will probably be half a chook tomorrow.  

Amazed how healthy I am now compared to when I exercised a lot.  It does people's heads in that you get healthy doing this, goes against all the marketing but people who you havn't seen for a while just see you and it blows them away.    All I would say is we are all different and if people do do it, get your bloods done so you can see for yourself.  

I certainly know we aren't meant to eat fruit or vegetables 24/7 like the Woolworth/ Coles/ et al marketing has created, unless of course you did see tomatoes growing in a northern european winter 300, 1000, 10000 years ago 24/7... I dont think you did, but in fairness, I wasn't alive way back then to know. I do know my jaw and digestive system is designed for meat.

Are molars vestigial rather than functional?

56 minutes ago, trilobite said:

lol, good question, I was more at the front of the jaw then back though.  i was a rippin and a tearin rather than a chewin and a grindin.

Been trying a keto (was going to be carnivore but nah) diet for the last 2 weeks.  Mostly meat/fish/eggs/avocado/olives/gluten free beer/wine/water... (except I have gluten-free wheatbix + psylium husk + low sugar muesli for breky).

Lost 1-2kgs, guts feel much much less 'inflammed', joints still simliar.

Cracked tonight, had to have some peanuts & cashews.  System seems to be craving them?

Seems to be my system does not like too much plant based food too?

14 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Been trying a keto (was going to be carnivore but nah) diet for the last 2 weeks.  Mostly meat/fish/eggs/avocado/olives/gluten free beer/wine/water... (except I have gluten-free wheatbix + psylium husk + low sugar muesli for breky).

Lost 1-2kgs, guts feel much much less 'inflammed', joints still simliar.

Cracked tonight, had to have some peanuts & cashews.  System seems to be craving them?

Seems to be my system does not like too much plant based food too?

Not taking the pi$$ - how do I know if my gut feels “inflamed”?

8 minutes ago, trilobite said:

Not taking the pi$$ - how do I know if my gut feels “inflamed”?

Often gassy, painful, volatile, a bit like you have a mild case of the trots.

7 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Often gassy, painful, volatile, a bit like you have a mild case of the trots.

So Terrence and Phillip should have gone carnivore 🤔

14 minutes ago, trilobite said:

So Terrence and Phillip should have gone carnivore 🤔

I don't know WhoTF those @#$%s are 😉

IBS-type symptoms basically.  I started getting those all of a sudden in my mid 20's.  Had them on and off since, though better as I've aged (less stress probably).

Just wanted to try a brief experiment going a lot more keto & Oompas post was the impetus.  

Training did not suffer at all, until today.  Last night I had a big creamy seafood marinara (no pasta).  Tasted ok, felt like shit today (too much lactose methinks).

On 02/08/2020 at 8:43 PM, trilobite said:

On 02/08/2020 at 9:44 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

lol, good question, I was more at the front of the jaw then back though.  i was a rippin and a tearin rather than a chewin and a grindin.

Paul Saladino (ironic name....  salad.....) is another carnivore , with a book out The Carnivore Code. 

Has a bit at the front on evolution and our teeth and brains developing. 

Our molars are still pointed (side to side) and not flat like vegetarian animals and our ancestors. 

Also talks to our gut evolution to animal proteins from vegetable matyer as a nutrient source. 

Interesting reading.