flathead

International No Training Day (garmin down)

No training today! If it is not on Strava it didn't happen.

Garmin has shut down it sites due to a ransomware hack. No-one can upload any data. 

link

Can always manually upload it straight to Strava if you get stuck. Plug the watch in, open the Activities folder and upload the .fit file via Strava website.

When Garmin comes back up, will Strava and TrainingPeaks fall over as a squillion files come crashing through the door?

But in addition to consumer wearables and sportswear, flyGarmin has also been down today. This is Garmin's web service that supports the company's line of aviation navigational equipment.

Pilots have told ZDNet today that they haven't been able to download a version of Garmin's aviation database on their Garmin airplane navigational systems. Pilots need to run an up-to-date version of this database on their navigation devices as an FAA requirement. Furthermore, the Garmin Pilot app, which they use to schedule and plan flights, was also down today, causing additional headaches.

Jeez

• Confused 1

How the hell are all the people I don't know gonna pat me on the back for my yoga this morning????? This is intolerable!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, flathead said:

No training today! If it is not on Strava it didn't happen.

Garmin has shut down it sites due to a ransomware hack. No-one can upload any data. 

link

Can't upload any data!!  Geez, what am I gonna do?  oh yeah, probably what what I did for the previous 25yrs before I had a Garmin. 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, FatPom said:

Can't upload any data!!  Geez, what am I gonna do?  oh yeah, probably what what I did for the previous 25yrs before I had a Garmin. 😂

You have a Garmin!!!!!!

Pat yourself on the back, just like I'm doing right now!

Edited by goughy
  • Haha 2

DC rainmaker put something out how to upload without garmin connect - too hard so i will wait until Garmin have paid goldman from India 

11 hours ago, bulldog said:

DC rainmaker put something out how to upload without garmin connect - too hard so i will wait until Garmin have paid goldman from India 

It’s not North Korea?

Has anyone reached out to Kim for comment?

• Thanks 1

Forbes saying 10mill is the ransom amount.  Wonder how often they get them to pay it?  I assume they put some thought to the amounts; big enough to make it with the risk to themselves, but small enough a company would prefer to pay than not?

54 minutes ago, goughy said:

Forbes saying 10mill is the ransom amount.  Wonder how often they get them to pay it?  I assume they put some thought to the amounts; big enough to make it with the risk to themselves, but small enough a company would prefer to pay than not?

You'd be surprised how many companies have paid the ransom recently.

19 minutes ago, Rob said:

I doubt Garmin will though...  It'll take a while to get all that data back - if they can...

I use a garmin watch & ant stick to download - any suggestions will be most greatly appreciated 

4 hours ago, goughy said:

Forbes saying 10mill is the ransom amount.  

3 hours ago, Rob said:

3 hours ago, BogFrog said:

I doubt Garmin will though...  It'll take a while to get all that data back - if they can...

But its so Much more than data.  

Eg

fenix users can’t copy music. 
airplanes can’t download data. 
TrainingPeaks has advised users to change their passwords ASAP 

they should just pay it and let the fbi track it down. 

Edited by Peter

20 minutes ago, Peter said:

But its so Much more than data.  

Eg

fenix users can’t copy music. 
airplanes can’t download data. 
TrainingPeaks has advised users to change their passwords ASAP 

Makes it difficult if it is Russian based though. Would Russia give approval for any joint investigations? Maybe the CIA could look at it, but would they be interested?

41 minutes ago, Peter said:

Would or should a company like this be insured against such a thing? 

Agree Roxi, I suspect the insurance company is calling the shots right now, not Garmin. 

I read somewhere that legally they are not allowed to pay ransom as the people that did it are classified as a terrorist group by America, and Garmin is domiciled in America and America doesn’t permit payment to terrorist groups.  Rock and a hard place.

correction, not a terrorist group,a sanctioned group

quote: 

Evil Corp's WastedLocker ransomware

Evil Corp (aka the Dridex gang) is a Russian-based cybercriminal group active since at least 2007 known to be the ones behind Dridex malware and for using ransomware as part of their attacks including Locky ransomware and their own ransomware strain known as BitPaymer.

The U.S. Treasury Department sanctioned evil Corp gang in December 2019 after being charged for using Dridex to cause more than $100 million in financial damages.

Due to this, it is a tricky situation for Garmin if they want to pay the ransom as they would potentially be violating United States sanctions.

Since then, the hacking group has refreshed their tactics once more and are now again involved in the ransomware "business," deploying their new WastedLocker ransomware in targeted corporate attacks and asking for ransoms of millions of dollars.

Evil Corp operators also used WastedLocker ransomware to encrypt systems on Garmin's network, which has led to a significant worldwide outage of multiple services and products, including Garmin Connect, Garmin Explore, Garmin inReach, and flyGarmin.

Last month, Evil Corp was blocked from deploying WastedLocker ransomware as part of dozens of attacks against major U.S. corporations, including multiple Fortune 500 companies.

Edited by Cat Lady

If Garmin was going to pay the Ransom, they should have done it immediately - to avoid anyone knowing what happened.

An outage for a couple of hours can easily be dismissed as a small glitch in the system (or servers down for maintenance), and nobody outside the company would have been the wiser.

Now everybody knows and the damage to their reputation has already been done.  To me, their only course of action now is refusing to pay the ransom to show they are socially responsible.

The fact that they are down for so long makes me think their backups have also been encrypted. In the old days, you backed up everything to tape at least once a week and this was taken off site.  Now with disk space so cheap, the backups are more likely to be on a networked server (and therefore vulnerable to attack).  When designing a Disaster / Recovery plan, you usually think in terms of the building burning down.  Need to re-think that.

Surely people aren’t solely relying on cloud providers to store their training data, are they?  I input all my my workouts in a manual xls. I pull the data from my watch or from Zwift ( not on Strava).

I don’t allow any of my devices to auto upload to any cross service. Zwift stays in Zwift, and if Garmin Connect goes down it makes zero difference to me, as long as the watch/device keeps working.

And even if all that shits itself, I just use the trusty Timex IM and log hours in the spreadsheet. Same as I did for 20 odd years. It’s like people have forgotten how to think!

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 2

I also log sessions with distance and shoes etc in a spreadsheet,  however Garmin presents information to me that is too hard to scroll through on a watch. E.g. HR over time, power, calories, L/R balance etc.  So it's not that I can't think, it's just access to information 

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I input all my my workouts in a manual xls.

the whole point of a smartwatch is to not have to do that shit.

5 minutes ago, Tyno said:

That’s what IT depts say when their SPOF goes tits up. 😄

25 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I also log sessions with distance and shoes etc in a spreadsheet,  however Garmin presents information to me that is too hard to scroll through on a watch. E.g. HR over time, power, calories, L/R balance etc.  So it's not that I can't think, it's just access to information 

Yeah get that but you can put the basics in. People are acting like they can’t function without knowing every single metric, all the time.  Your body doesn’t know what is being tracked and will still work.

Dont even get me started on the ‘ if it’s not on Strava’  bollocks, 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

Time to pick up a polar or suunto, before engaging Manuel Labor.

On 24/07/2020 at 8:42 PM, bulldog said:

For the 935 at least, just plug the watch into the computer with the charging cord and pull the file out of it, treat the watch like USB memory stick. Under the Activities folder, just find the correctly dated/timed .FIT file and then upload it to Strava, Training Peaks or whatever it is that you use.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FatPom said:

Surely people aren’t solely relying on cloud providers to store their training data, are they?  I input all my my workouts in a manual xls. I pull the data from my watch or from Zwift ( not on Strava).

I don’t allow any of my devices to auto upload to any cross service. Zwift stays in Zwift, and if Garmin Connect goes down it makes zero difference to me, as long as the watch/device keeps working.

And even if all that shits itself, I just use the trusty Timex IM and log hours in the spreadsheet. Same as I did for 20 odd years. It’s like people have forgotten how to think!

The other side of it, for most of us, what does it really matter?  I'm only doing stuff for a bit of fun and health, so not appearing anywhere for a while, what does it really matter?  Sure, people who's life relies on this data will need to use the usual work arounds, but for most of us, it's no big deal.  It's just something to chatter about!  The aero and nautical people it may be a bit more of a big deal for of course.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Slunnie said:

For the 935 at least, just plug the watch into the computer with the charging cord and pull the file out of it, treat the watch like USB memory stick. Under the Activities folder, just find the correctly dated/timed .FIT file and then upload it to Strava, Training Peaks or whatever it is that you use.

Tried this with my antique 910 & it only charges the watch ...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the older ones like the 310 and 910 can't be seen as a storage device, hence you can't just copy the activities off of them.  You have to do the transfer with the usb ant+ dongle, I think.  They didn't introduce the mass storage device ability till after them, I think.

• Thanks 1

It's back! I swear the world is spinning a little bit smoother now

Yeah, I'm starting to get a few notifications of activities starting to sync. 

Wouldn't surprise me if they do it slowly and steadily to avoid crashing everything that crosses over eg. Strava, TrainingPeaks etc.

2 hours ago, Naut said:

Thanks for fixing it Naut 😊

2 hours ago, Naut said:

Bang.  World order restored. Well with exercise. 

8B64F627-EF34-40C4-B1F0-A06C0B15BF18.png

Still a work in progress for me.  My Friday morning yoga has popped up, but that's it thus far.  It's like the last few days just haven't existed for me.  I don't know how to go on.

16 hours ago, Peter said:

Bang.  World order restored. Well with exercise. 

8B64F627-EF34-40C4-B1F0-A06C0B15BF18.png

Based on your average HR, PJ didn’t convert you to a Maffetone disciple.

50 minutes ago, trilobite said:

Wonder what the answer to the $10m question is?

"Noneyabusiness. Your apps are working again so shut your faces."

39 minutes ago, BNothling said:

"Noneyabusiness. Your apps are working again so shut your faces."

The Garmin site is bouncing up and down like a yoyo.  None of my activities have been uploaded yet.  I'm guessing it may take quite a while to get back to full recovery

14 minutes ago, Rob said:

The Garmin site is bouncing up and down like a yoyo.  None of my activities have been uploaded yet.  I'm guessing it may take quite a while to get back to full recovery

My activities came over at about 8-9pm last night and all of the random data (weight, steps etc) came over at some point during the night. 

I'm not having any dramas with the website, but my android app is still showing issues, despite appearing to have full functionality.

18 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I'm not having any dramas with the website...

Jinxed it. Maybe the cheque bounced?

19 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Jinxed it. Maybe the cheque bounced?

Cheque??

C'mon, I've watched enough movies to know its a brown paper bag, placed in a garbage bin in a public park.