CootaGC

Roller - Pain

My physio has suggested I use a roller on the outside of my thighs to help prevent ITB issues as he advised I am tight in this area.  Does the pain of using the roller reduce the more you do it?   

Better do a utube search in this as I have heard it’s one of the worst things you can do for ITB 

Edited by Prince
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with Prince.  Don't do it.  Get a new physio who knows about running.

Take it from someone who has had to have the op and get a lateral release done.  My (then) physio massaged the ITB lots, told me to ITB roller, which I did for months to no avail.  A better option would be to roll all the muscles surrounding the area, specially quads.  And the main thing is to get a tennis ball into the TFL.  TFL TFL TFL   It's a small area but it seems to respond well to the ball - well it does forme

• Thanks 2

Sports physio input: Most research shows that foam roller on ITB creates a very short term increase in ITB length, probably hours or less. And a ‘long’ ITB is not less likely to cause issues. I would not advise ITB foam roller for ITB issues 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Agree with Prince.  Don't do it.  Get a new physio who knows about running.

Take it from someone who has had to have the op and get a lateral release done.  My (then) physio massaged the ITB lots, told me to ITB roller, which I did for months to no avail.  A better option would be to roll all the muscles surrounding the area, specially quads.  And the main thing is to get a tennis ball into the TFL.  TFL TFL TFL   It's a small area but it seems to respond well to the ball - well it does forme

The TFL - how I hate that overused little muscle!  Oh, the tennis ball - I can still feel the pain :yucky:

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CootaGC said:

My physio has suggested I use a roller on the outside of my thighs to help prevent ITB issues as he advised I am tight in this area.  Does the pain of using the roller reduce the more you do it?   

Strength work.  Get rid of the roller 

• Thanks 1

I find it best to use the roller away from the affected area,  the roller gives you so much pain it takes your mind off of the other thing!

Ive never much luck with rollers, in fact I’m sure once or twice it has given me calf trouble after but that could be my bad technique.

i have one of those ‘cove core’ lump rollers as well as a foam one. I never use the foam one now but do find the lumpy one good for a self inflicted massage.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Surfer said:

I use a spikey ball, seems to work for me

I got one of those as well ( Xmas gift) never quite sure what to do with it.

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

I got one of those as well ( Xmas gift) never quite sure what to do with it.

I mostly use it for glutes, soles of my feet, forearms, shoulders, hip flexors

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FatPom said:

I find it best to use the roller away from the affected area,  the roller gives you so much pain it takes your mind off of the other thing!

Ive never much luck with rollers, in fact I’m sure once or twice it has given me calf trouble after but that could be my bad technique.

i have one of those ‘cove core’ lump rollers as well as a foam one. I never use the foam one now but do find the lumpy one good for a self inflicted massage.

I had never used a roller before.  Was at physio about a knee injury and he was twisting and turning my leg and said you are tight in the ITB area.  He did some heavy massage where he ran his hands down the outside of my thigh about 10 times, was really uncomfortable but seemed to be able to stretch further after he did it so then he recommend I roll it.  I did wonder however if it was something that would just loosen up for a short time and then go back to how it was and Aidan answered that above.