Sign in to follow this  
dazaau

Cycling in Victoria

Just got a lot harder

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/07/melbourne-cyclists-stopped-by-police-over-lockdown-rides/

I live at the foot of the Dandenongs, so I'm ok, but I think this is the equivalent of stopping people from fishing alone last time while quarantine ran wild. This time it's sick people showing up to work while cyclists can't ride more than 10k from home. 

Anyway, stay local everyone :) 

8 hours ago, dazaau said:

Just got a lot harder

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/07/melbourne-cyclists-stopped-by-police-over-lockdown-rides/

I live at the foot of the Dandenongs, so I'm ok, but I think this is the equivalent of stopping people from fishing alone last time while quarantine ran wild. This time it's sick people showing up to work while cyclists can't ride more than 10k from home. 

Anyway, stay local everyone :) 

I would rather the government just give a distance from home that you are allowed to go for exercise.  People like to test the limits of these restrictions so a hard and fast number would work better.

That said I do most of my riding on the trainer so it is less of a concern for me.

Back in March when we were locked down in NSW I had a think and came up with the idea that if I remained in my local government area (Hornsby Shire) I could raise a reasonable argument that I was still local to home. With that logic I could ride both sides of Galston Gorge, both sides of Berowra Ferry, Brooklyn and the MC side of Bobbo. So not such a hardship. 

As Toolish states above, though a hard number from the government would be easier all around. Also is that distance by road or straight line on the map.

2 minutes ago, gregb said:

Back in March when we were locked down in NSW I had a think and came up with the idea that if I remained in my local government area (Hornsby Shire) I could raise a reasonable argument that I was still local to home. With that logic I could ride both sides of Galston Gorge, both sides of Berowra Ferry, Brooklyn and the MC side of Bobbo. So not such a hardship. 

As Toolish states above, though a hard number from the government would be easier all around. Also is that distance by road or straight line on the map.

Roughly 30 mns from home in each direction :)

3 hours ago, gregb said:

3 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Roughly 30 mns from home in each direction :)

Just you keep to your own shire. Hill repeats on the shallow side of Bobbo for you, I'm afraid. ;)

4 hours ago, gregb said:

Back in March when we were locked down in NSW I had a think and came up with the idea that if I remained in my local government area (Hornsby Shire) I could raise a reasonable argument that I was still local to home.

I did the same, stopped swimming, going out to the M7, rode inside only, runs are in Rhodes, Wentworth Point and Olympic Park. I did not use the council borders as that would mean I could go to the already packed Bay Run. 

Shame that I still saw people coming in from Penrith to swim at Balmoral, Manly and run the Bay Run. 

Other than perhaps the social aspect, why would anyone from Penrith would drive all that way for the Bay Run when they have Glenbrook just 10 minutes away? And the entire playground of the mountains beyond that.

4 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Just you keep to your own shire. Hill repeats on the shallow side of Bobbo for you, I'm afraid. ;)

Last time we were in lockdown I rode via Peats Ridge then got on the freeway and road down to Ourimbah Roundabout and then back home in the same direction. I did actually wonder if anyone would pull me over..... but it was a nice fast 180k :)

4 hours ago, Paul Every said:

And last time I did hill repeats there on the Western side they were putting 2 dudes in ambulances on the tight corner heading towards the lower rangers hut. Why do people have a need to hammer down hills.

King of the mountain.......Queen of the descent. Or that should be Joker/Jester when they come off.

18 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Why do people have a need to hammer down hills.

Personally I can't think of any other reason to ride up one.

• Like 1

I ride up Mt Dandenong and the 1in 20 at least 3 times a week as part of my lockdown faux commute. 
At least now I can point to Strava to tell them I’m a local.

2DCEA92A-CC42-489A-A4E5-0A357FE718DC.thumb.png.045dc21ea10a97518e053aa75572ede4.png 

Edited by POT
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, POT said:

I ride up Mt Dandenong and the 1in 20 at least 3 times a week as part of my lockdown faux commute. 
At least now I can point to Strava to tell them I’m a local.

2DCEA92A-CC42-489A-A4E5-0A357FE718DC.thumb.png.045dc21ea10a97518e053aa75572ede4.png 

Ha ha, nice humble brag 😎 Dan Andrews has decided it's time for some true locals to be recognised 😉

During NZ stage 4 lock down I did three key ride

• every street in suburb, every street in next suburb. Keeping it local
    • this was fun early Sat evening as several coldesac’s had street gatherings socially distant
    • makes a great piece of art
  • times around the local block, turn left each time. Could do 8 laps/hr
  • 5km radius from home, this if my maths is correct that circumference = pie x r2. Is essentially 75km
    • This meant that by staying close to home meant that could ride a long way
    • for me in Auckland am 1k from sea so my cyclable circumference was about 40km so did laps

rest of time just rode locally, doing different routes and streets