Sign in to follow this  
goughy

Training wheelset

OK, so I think in the near future I'll be up for a new training wheelset.  I took my favourite ksyrium wheels to the bike shop to ask them if they were still ok to use (the brake track felt a bit concave to me) and he shivered and said to bin them immediately!  I had a look at the other set of wheels I have here and the wear indicators on the wheels are nearly gone, especially on the front.  So, are cheap cheap wheels ok to use or is better to spend a little bit more?  Been looking online at a few different sets.  Might not need till the new year, but it's got me thinking.  I have to find a way to explain to my wife that wheels are a consumable!  Currently using Shimano WH R550's (I think).  Can get cheap Fulcrum wheelsets from about $200, up to say $400.  Can get ProLite wheels from $200's up to mid $400's for a nice looking 42mm rim.  Or cheap Shimano's.  The other thought was to get something I can run 28mm tyres on.  Many of the Fulcrums suit that, as do some of the Prolites.

Or I can steal the wheels off my daughters bike, that she doesn't ride much, which are Fuji 43mm alloy aero wheels.  They are on the heavy side though, at about 2.7kg the set.  Where it seems most alloy wheelsets seems to be under 2kg.  Plus, that leaves her without wheels if she does happen to wanna ride (only rarely though).  I do have my tt bike wheels, which are sram s60's, so I'm not stuck with nothing.  But only really use those on the tt or switch them onto the roadie for an event ride.

So, any thoughts or wisdom to impart?

I run Pro-Lite (now Kotavelo) A42 wheels on my road bike and they have been absolutely exceptional. 

If you can get your hands on a set of those, that'd be my recommendation. 

I am on my 2nd pair of Dura Ace C24s for my road bike.  Wore out the brake track on the first pair.

Not particularly cheap, but great all round wheels.  Lightweight, but seem very strong.  Not affected by side winds, climb really well and feel great on fast descents.

I do the vast majority of riding on my road bike. It is an SWORKS SL4 Tarmac.  6 years old now, but a good enough bike that deserves good wheels.  I actually think wheels make more difference to how the bike feels than the frame.

Also have a set of 50mm Reynolds carbon fibre wheels that I use when occasionally racing draft legal.  They are a touch faster at high speed, but don't match the handling of the Dura Ace C24s.

My Tri Bike is 10 speed, so cannot swap wheels with the roadie.  I'm happy using cheap training wheels on the Tri Bike, because I'm typically riding on flatish straight roads - handling is not really an issue.  If I'm doing hills in the Dandenongs, Kinglake or the Vic Alpine region, I'll be on the roadie.

1 hour ago, BNothling said:

I run Pro-Lite (now Kotavelo) A42 wheels on my road bike and they have been absolutely exceptional. 

If you can get your hands on a set of those, that'd be my recommendation. 

That's one I was looking at.  And they make it in a 19mm inner rim width for 28+mm tyres.

What do you weigh Goughy? I am mid to high 80's and find I tend to destroy wheels at the bottom of the price range. I have killed a set of Fulcrum 5s and multiple Bontrager Paradigm Elite rear wheels.

That's one of the things I was wondering about.  Bike and me would be about 90kg, and about 84 combined when at my proper weight.  Los of going up Hills too.

Edited by goughy

For reference, I've weighed between 88kg and 81kg on those ProLites and never had a problem. Not a huge fan of hills but they've coped just fine on climbs like Tambo, Mt Coot-tha and Mt Gravatt just fine. Descents aren't a problem either.

2 hours ago, goughy said:

That's one of the things I was wondering about.  Bike and me would be about 90kg, and about 84 combined when at my proper weight.  Los of going up Hills too.

Then whatever you buy, take the warranty into consideration

3 hours ago, Ayto said:

Something like these Goughy???

images (4).jpeg

I am a triathlete, so need all the help I can get!

• Haha 1

On 17/07/2020 at 7:13 PM, goughy said:

I am a triathlete, so need all the help I can get!

In that case, you should train on something robust like Hed3s.