Yeah saw that. I guess for Cairns and Sunny Coast it depends on how many locals will make up the race numbers, because if borders open up it will be only a few weeks before these races, so if the race organisers are relying on interstate competitors I reckon they might have a problem. I'm guessing TWA are planning on having a much smaller race in October with the majority of competitors coming from WA. The race in December might be a different story though. 

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I’m tipping no Ironman WA

No more out of you.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Katz said:

No more out of you.

Playing the odds & not hating on Busso. Happy to put a wager on this one 

Just now, Bored@work said:

I offered a wager. You declined.

If IMWA goes ahead in December 2020, you come out of retirement and race.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

Be careful asking me that 

Didn't say you would necessarily get it, just asked what it was. :D 

I suppose you'll just have to settle for a smug feeling of vindication. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

There is honestly nothing that would tempt me enough to train for another Ironman & esp not Busso 

So if it's on, you've committed to do it on no training.

That'll be fun to watch. :crybaby:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

I suppose it depends on what are the criteria that is needed for the race to go ahead. Numbers will be low for sure, pretty much no overseas competitors and fewer interstate competitors. WA won't be opening up it's borders for a while. We don't need Eastern States riff raff coming to spoil the party. 

I think Busso will go ahead in October. I think quite a few things need to happen for it to go ahead in December.

Edited by zed

39 minutes ago, Katz said:

I suppose you'll just have to settle for a smug feeling of vindication. 

I get that most days at work. The novelty is wearing off 

39 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Been there done that. Promised my wife I would never do it again. 

9 minutes ago, zed said:

I suppose it depends on what are the criteria that is needed for the race to go ahead. Numbers will be low for sure, pretty much no overseas competitors and fewer interstate competitors. WA won't be opening up it's borders for a while. We don't need Eastern States riff raff coming to spoil the party. 

I think Busso will go ahead in October. I think quite a few things need to happen for it to go ahead in December.

I’m guessing low numbers won’t be the final determine factor.

Insurance and permits will be the problem.

52 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Having said that it would be fun to drop a sub 5hr bike 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why would insurance and permits present a problem?

Local councils would be as keen as ever. TA also. In the present situation, I can't imagine any impediments that wouldn't normally exist in other years.

Perth Royal Show has just announced they're on for Sept 26 to Oct 3. A massive and complex event like that involving so many other agencies and stakeholders can't proceed without all of their administrative ducks lined up.

Where do you specifically see the stumbling blocks for Busso?

Edited by Paul Every

15 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Been there done that. Promised my wife I would never do it again. 

That's one better than me.

I've never made any such promise.

7 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Local councils would be as keen as ever. TA also. In the present situation, I can't imagine any impediments that wouldn't normally exist in other years.

Perth Royal Show has just announced they're on for Sept 26 to Oct 3. A massive and complex event like that involving so many other agencies and stakeholders can't proceed without all of their administrative ducks lined up.

Where do you specifically see the stumbling blocks for Busso?

As stated above insurance & permits. Surprised Perth show has been given the go ahead. 
Th new dates for Port Mac were given the go ahead & have then been cancelled a few months later. 

32 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

23 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

As stated above insurance & permits.

That hardly answers the question? :lol:

Insurance and permits from whom? Given the current situation in WA, which authorities would be the hesitant?

• State government covid restrictions. All OK.
  • State government is currently actively and heavily promoting regional tourism and events.
  • Local councils would support necessary road closures, etc They would be keen to attract events, tourism and support for local businesses.
  • Police on-roads events department. Business as usual for them. No different to any other year.
  • Business as usual for insurance provider, I'd have thought. Why would it be otherwise? at least in WA. Is insurance through TA/TriWA?
  • TA/TriWA would be especially eager to see the sport resuming. Sanctioning? Tick!
  • IM will be gagging to have a race, possibly the first since IMNZ in March.
  • No reason to assume availability of medical support would be compromised.
  • Supporting organisations (eg SLSC, water safety )would be hanging for their financial fillip from IM.
  • Haha 1

I think the insurance underwriters will be very risk averse. Without insurance, permits will not be granted.

I also think the additional safety measures might increase the cost of running the event to a point holding the event is. I linger profitable 

This was a bit like reading ST while in the US, every race same thing people going its gonna happen, here's how its going to happen, then WTC waiting for the local authority to can their permit.

2020 is gone, time to try and crush this thing and come back for 2021. If we don't do that we won't be racing in 2021

13 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

This was a bit like reading ST while in the US, every race same thing people going its gonna happen, here's how its going to happen, then WTC waiting for the local authority to can their permit.

2020 is gone, time to try and crush this thing and come back for 2021. If we don't do that we won't be racing in 2021

Spot on.  
people are dreaming of they think any mass participation event will happen in 2020

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

Spot on.  
people are dreaming of they think any mass participation event will happen in 2020

If we are lucky we might get to do some cycling sportifs like Fitz's challenge here that's about it. With the year I've had and figure many others are in the same boat, I'm just saying its a real low priority and not worrying about it.

Bit annoyed though as I had logged a 39:18 10 K and 19:12 5 k but not on any official event so the internet will not remember my middle aged glory

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I think the insurance underwriters will be very risk averse. Without insurance, permits will not be granted.

I also think the additional safety measures might increase the cost of running the event to a point holding the event is. I linger profitable 

I think we're in a very different position to the US. And WA in a different position again to the eastern states, at least until the border opens up.

Yes, insurance is the first thing required to be lock in. Without it, an event can't be progressed with police, councils, other jurisdictions, etc.

I think you can see from the Perth Show, insurers appear to have confidence in the situation in WA. Perth Zoo has been admitting managed crowds of up to 4000 visitors for a month now. Regional travel restrictions were lifted a while ago. Life is really returning to normal here.

The dialing back of restrictions in WA since late April has been incremental, cautious and measured. We're now in Phase 4 and looking toward Phase 5 in a couple of weeks. I think we've had no community transmission for approaching two months now.

As far as racing goes, if you're wondering what "crush this thing and come back for 2021" looks like, I think WA is currently providing a crystal ball.

As long as that crystal ball doesn't roll off the table. It's been remarkably steady to date.

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

There is honestly nothing that would tempt me enough to train for another Ironman & esp not Busso 

A pink ice donut?

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

The new dates for Port Mac were given the go ahead & have then been cancelled a few months later. 

The September dates for Port were alwats very ambitious in my view. 

13 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

The September dates for Port were alwats very ambitious in my view. 

You're off the hook again 

You can run, but you can't hide 😎

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

I think we're in a very different position to the US. And WA in a different position again to the eastern states, at least until the border opens up.

Yes, insurance is the first thing required to be lock in. Without it, an event can't be progressed with police, councils, other jurisdictions, etc.

I think you can see from the Perth Show, insurers appear to have confidence in the situation in WA. Perth Zoo has been admitting managed crowds of up to 4000 visitors for a month now. Regional travel restrictions were lifted a while ago. Life is really returning to normal here.

The dialing back of restrictions in WA since late April has been incremental, cautious and measured. We're now in Phase 4 and looking toward Phase 5 in a couple of weeks. I think we've had no community transmission for approaching two months now.

As far as racing goes, if you're wondering what "crush this thing and come back for 2021" looks like, I think WA is currently providing a crystal ball.

As long as that crystal ball doesn't roll off the table. It's been remarkably steady to date.

We will find out in a few months if you’re correct.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if IM decide to say no more Ironman branded races in 2020 let’s restart everything next year at IM NZ. 

I will happily donate $50 to the RSPCA if I’m wrong 

Challenge shep are still advertising they are running their event. 

I made a comment and they didn’t like it.  

zero chance of it happening in sept.  

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Spot on.  

I just did a bike race last week, only 200 people, but IMWA is 5 months away. If it doesn't take place it will be because of numbers not COVID-19. The one bonus of being the most isolated capital city in the world, great when there's a pandemic...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Challenge shep are still advertising they are running their event. 

I made a comment and they didn’t like it.  

zero chance of it happening in sept.  

They are dreaming 😓

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Today’s donut. Vietnamese iced coffee with fresh cream.

67C16E14-5F4D-4581-8199-F1299724E251.jpeg

That is an offence to real donuts everywhere 🍩

• Thanks 1

On 07/07/2020 at 7:55 PM, Bored@work said:

Today’s donut. Vietnamese iced coffee with fresh cream.

67C16E14-5F4D-4581-8199-F1299724E251.jpeg

Looks like something I saw on American Pie. 😑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lachie94 said:

So are snickers 

Are you insinuating Snickers aren't healthy?

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Are you insinuating Snickers aren't healthy?

Of course not..

But, perhaps controversially, I’d always choose a twix

1 hour ago, lachie94 said:

Of course not..

But, perhaps controversially, I’d always choose a twix

image.png.bf62fde955c53392736f3364b46d9699.png