Fitness Buddy

Ironman AUS 1998

That year I went 10:30:43.

I was running down the Lakes Way - about 19K into the Marathon when Along comes Peter Reid and Chris Legh , a helicopter overhead and a pack of cyclist following on the other side of the road.

Yes.... the three of us were in an almighty tussle. Naturally I was first to head straight out that back door.

Sadly I did not get to see the sprint finish and doubly sadly I still had 1 lap to go on the run.

Edited by IronmanFoz
Typo's
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nealo said:

Legend bloke who put that up, think I might buy him a beer.

He doesn't drink. You can buy me one instead. ;)

13 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Hold on, send them to those whose need is greatest right now

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

That year I went 10:30:43.

I was running down the Lakes Way - about 19K into the Marathon when Along comes Peter Reid and Chris Legh , a helicopter overhead and a pack of cyclist following on the other side of the road.

Yes.... the three of us were in an almighty tussle. Naturally I was first to head straight out that back door.

Sadly I did not get to see the sprint finish and doubly sadly I still had 1 lap to go on the run.

That was my 2nd Ironman, 11.03 for me I think. 

Edit: Shortchanged myself 

11:02:56   01:01:32 05:48:53 04:12:31
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Kanangra said:

My first. 10:50 and change. Hard to believe it was 22 years ago. Remember it like yesterday.

K.

Firthy, is that you? Are you making a comeback 🙂 ?

Ah yes it is and ah no I'm not making a come back. Those were the days though. Hard to think Mark we lined up for our first next to one another on the racks all those years ago. Then went back each year for the next 10 years. You have course have kicked onto much bigger and better things since then. As for me.... Well let's just say, we were warriors once.:(

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Kanangra said:

Ah yes it is and ah no I'm not making a come back. Those were the days though. Hard to think Mark we lined up for our first next to one another on the racks all those years ago. Then went back each year for the next 10 years. You have course have kicked onto much bigger and better things since then. As for me.... Well let's just say, we were warriors once.:(

Good to see you are still around mate.  Great to hear from you. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Oh yes he does!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nealo said:

Oh yes he does!

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Nealos YouTube channel. 

Me just sharing here.  He did all the work 

11:15 (1:04, 5:31, 4:39) :(

Looking back, I'm not sure what happened at Forster in 1998. I obviously struggled on the run.

That was my 11th IM Aust, but my slowest run time, (even including when I was so sick two years prior, the year I sat on the bank at Forster Keys before the race and reasoned that a DNF would be a more noble exit than a DNS, only later to survive being pulled by medical in T1).

I definitely would have been planning a sub-10 at Forster in '98. I had trained hard that summer and was coming off some quite pleasing results. I'd run a PB and negative split in a 12 Hour race in January, and I ran 8:57 for 100km in the Sri Chinmoy 3 Day Ultra Tri in Feb.

At T2, I still would have still been confident of running low 3:20ish to squeeze under 10.

Clearly, it wasn't to be my day.

3 hours ago, Kanangra said:

My first. 10:50 and change. Hard to believe it was 22 years ago. Remember it like yesterday.

K.

Great to see you pop by, Steve. :thumbup1:

Even better to see that one of us has their memory intact.

Are you still getting out into the bush?

Edited by Paul Every

Thanks Paul. Yes I am. For a while there I hit the bush like I was still racing. Then I wondered why no one would come with me any more?:huh: I've mellowed somewhat since then. I miss all the competition and people of the tri scene. My grandson is now using some of my old gear.:o Please pass on my regards to Dianne.

K.

• Like 1

If Chris won the sprint, Peter Reid was going to have him DQ'd for taking his helmet off when the bee stung him.

16 minutes ago, Kanangra said:

Thanks Paul. Yes I am. For a while there I hit the bush like I was still racing. Then I wondered why no one would come with me any more?:huh: I've mellowed somewhat since then. I miss all the competition and people of the tri scene. My grandson is now using some of my old gear.:o Please pass on my regards to Dianne.

K.

I think we've all mellowed.

Will do.

I paid and picked up my bag of goodies. A very expensive packet of Sunrise Rice. I had to pull out  as I was still suffering from the effects of being hit by a car in 1997. It was still a great race to watch. 

FM

7 hours ago, Kanangra said:

Mate, so glad to hear from you. Mrs F sends her regards. Mate, the older we get the better we were. You will always be a legend. Especially to me. I chased your results for years. Most important you are one of the nicest guys I ever met. Hope to see you out on the road soon.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kanangra said:

K.

Wow, You have been off the grid for a long time Kanangra. I hope you have been well and enjoying life. 

Stay safe and We look forward to you being back.

FM

Did the 1998 race 11 weeks after a motorcycle accident. Still had stitches in my shin and a major crush injury on my lower leg on race day. 
I didn’t train from when the crash happened in early February, until two weeks before the race. Fortunately I had a huge year of training and racing in 1997 and got through the race on that. My race plan was just to beat the swim cut off, bike cutoff and then walk the whole marathon. I had a blast on the bike and run. No pressure at all and met some great people at the BOP. I even stopped at Maccas for a burger and coke near the end of the bike ride. Lucky i did, because I was out there walking for a long time on the run course. Made the finish time easily. Glad I did The race. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, roxii said:

That was my 2nd Ironman, 11.03 for me I think. 

Edit: Shortchanged myself 

11:02:56   01:01:32 05:48:53 04:12:31

Rule number 1 of Ironman splits - ALWAYS round down.

• Like 1

Thanks Mark and others. It has been a long time. I think about the old days often. They really were a lot of fun. Although I did tend to be somewhat obsessive when it came to training and racing. Things seem to be a lot quieter on this site than they used to be?

K.

• Like 1

1998 when you had to qualify or beg ken and Glenda to give you a spot in the fake lottery. The good old days

• Haha 2

On 07/07/2020 at 2:16 PM, Paul Every said:

11:15 (1:04, 5:31, 4:39) :(

Looking back, I'm not sure what happened at Forster in 1998. I obviously struggled on the run.

That was my 11th IM Aust, but my slowest run time, (even including when I was so sick two years prior, the year I sat on the bank at Forster Keys before the race and reasoned that a DNF would be a more noble exit than a DNS, only later to survive being pulled by medical in T1).

I definitely would have been planning a sub-10 at Forster in '98. I had trained hard that summer and was coming off some quite pleasing results. I'd run a PB and negative split in a 12 Hour race in January, and I ran 8:57 for 100km in the Sri Chinmoy 3 Day Ultra Tri in Feb.

At T2, I still would have still been confident of running low 3:20ish to squeeze under 10.

Clearly, it wasn't to be my day.

Your day sounds just like mine, had a sweet patch the two previous years at 9:30 and was confident of going faster , training was showing it should be the case, swim on schedule, bike ok and just at total shocker of a run over an hour worse, oh well all  history now, but funny that you and I had similar day , might be that we someone cursed out year of birth that day.