Sign in to follow this  
Flanman

Flats

I have been very lucky over the past few years. I have not had a flat for over 10 years. I guess I don’t ride enough. I’ve always carried a small pump and only last year, got a CO2 set.

Anyway, I went out for a ride (I drive to the M7 cycleway) but forgot my track pump. No worries I thought, I’ll use the little pump - after all I can’t remember the last time I used it and it would be good to practise. Well,  I tried and tried but finally worked out it doesn’t fit. After carrying it for almost 10 years, including in races, I find it doesn’t fit. I must have been so lucky and I would have been pissed off if I got a flat in a race. Luckily, I used the CO2 - first time using. 

You are never too old to learn something in this sport....and life. 

FM

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I buy C02 only these days. Have a track pump at home but haven't carried a pump out riding for over 10 years.

I but C02's in bulk x 50 on eBay. That essentially 50 flat tyres.......assuming when i get flats.

• Like 1

I'm that much of a cheapskate I use a pump in races.  Though they're not races for me, they're participation events

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1

I switched from C02 to a pump after a bad experience in driving rain. I went through both c02's and fumbling with cold hands. I bought a lezeyne mid-size pump. Other than a couple more minutes road side, I never have to worry about it again. Also saved a few people having to do the stranded roadside call as well.

3 hours ago, Lost in transition said:

I switched from C02 to a pump after a bad experience in driving rain. I went through both c02's and fumbling with cold hands. I bought a lezeyne mid-size pump. Other than a couple more minutes road side, I never have to worry about it again. Also saved a few people having to do the stranded roadside call as well.

I carry no less that 5 Co2's on a ride. And at least 3 spare tubes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I ride tubeless on my road bike. Had a sidewall cut that couldn't seal on Sunday. Very messy with sealant getting a tube in.

But first puncture in 7 months on that bike. My TT bike build for IMNZ was 4 punctures in 2 months.

• Like 1

I remember having numerous flats about 20 years ago. This included four at IMOZ02. After lots if changes, I found a tiny metal slither loose in the tyre that kept on piercing the tube. I guess I had my money’s worth a while ago. 

FM

Edited by Flanman

4 hours ago, Goodcatch said:

Remember "Tuffy's"?

Yes Kev, would you believe that the slither of metal kept on catching the Tuffy. 😂

FM

• Like 1

I started my last Alpine Classic Extreme (ACE250) in the cold and rainy darkness, a bit miffed by the conditions, but told myself it will get better.... It didn't.

Four flats (the first after only  a few ks) and freezing conditions, cold hands, a dodgy pump and limited CO2 and spare tubes made it a really horrible experience.  Heaps of tiny sharp stones due to roadworks stuck to everything and made it difficult to feel for the offending object in the tire.  Riding across Hotham in gale-force icy winds - body shivering and teeth chattering - on a half flat back tire was not much fun! 

I only just made it home before the cut-off, despite being one of the early starters. I started in the dark and ended in the dark! Seeing IP fly past on his fat bike (on his way to a 320?!!) was the only good thing, even if it did highlight what a sh1t day I was having!! 

If I can borrow from Telstra - you don't need awesome repair kit until you do! :) 

..and if that wasn't enough I remember now my Alpine kit - great for Summer rides - turned real nasty when it was saturated wet and tore my inner thighs with severe chaffing that hurt like hell for most of the 12 or so hours of a sh1tty day!  :(

Edited by PeterW
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, PeterW said:

...like hell for most of the 12 or so hours of a sh1tty day! 

This begs the question... At what point do you (does one) throw in the towel?  We're supposed to be doing this stuff for fun, but when it turns into a day of hell, what's the point in continuing?  Do you keep thinking it will get better?  Do you keep going because you've bloody well trained for this so you're going to bloody well finish?  The guilt the next day if you had quit?  PeterW, were you happy you had pushed to the end?  Sorry, thread derail...

4 hours ago, SomeTri said:

This begs the question... At what point do you (does one) throw in the towel?  We're supposed to be doing this stuff for fun, but when it turns into a day of hell, what's the point in continuing?  Do you keep thinking it will get better?  Do you keep going because you've bloody well trained for this so you're going to bloody well finish?  The guilt the next day if you had quit?  PeterW, were you happy you had pushed to the end?  Sorry, thread derail...

Good question.  In retrospect I should have pulled the pin early on but I thought it might get better.  Unfortunately the Alpine is a big loop with no shortcut  home, and not a lot of support, so you would have to wait hours for a SAG wagon, so in some ways the only real way to get back is under your own steam.  And yes, there is bit of 'tude, something like "I maybe a sh1t athlete but at least I finish" kind of thing which, as anyone who knows me will attest, probably sums me up pretty well...

FWIW the apres beer(s)  at the brewery tasted pretty darn good after all that! LOL

• Like 2

Canberra Half Ironman 2007 - got a heap of rain on the Saturday night and we walked to transition in the pouring rain.

I already knew I would need to change my front tyre and I got a sliver of glass in it on a reccy ride the day before but didnt have time to change before transition closed.

New tyre and tube and we weer good to go!

Back then the Canberra half course was 93km.  By KM 90 I was on my 5th puncture and had spent so much time waiting on the side of the road for a service vehicle that I gave up and walked back to T2.

On 08/07/2020 at 3:48 PM, PeterW said:

FWIW the apres beer(s)  tasted pretty darn good after all that! LOL

I concur!

• Like 1