When ppl say tris are expensive. Show them this

Triathlon Expensive?  

Take up 4WDing and camping.🙄

Started with a cheap stock 4WD, tent and Esky and in 8 years has expanded to a sensibly modified 4WD, .6mx3m shed full of camping gear(for when I go with friends),  and a caravan (for when Mrs AJ comes along).  

Now we've got the caravan I need to add a transmission cooler to the Pajero.  Expecting somewhere between $500 and $1000 to get that done.  And a van service sometime before mid-August. (no idea what thats going to cost) :(

• Haha 2

Club level motorsport, no real sheep stations, no podiums, no medals - you think its cheap when you realise you can start with a pretty much roadworthy car. Then you get overtaken like you are standing still. 🤣 The only way to improve is to buy better cars and better bits.

• Like 1

Holidays just burn money too!  What are you left after them?

An experience, which really is what a hobby is about.  

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

Club level motorsport, no real sheep stations, no podiums, no medals - you think its cheap when you realise you can start with a pretty much roadworthy car. Then you get overtaken like you are standing still. 🤣 The only way to improve is to buy better cars and better bits.

Slippery slope. The MR2 Turbo I bought to enjoy track days is currently mid engine rebuild and already owing $12K with the gear box rebuild and dyno tune bills still to come.

Then there is my latest purchase...

IMG_1069.JPG

• Like 4
15 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Triathlon Expensive?  

Take up 4WDing and camping.🙄

Started with a cheap stock 4WD, tent and Esky and in 8 years has expanded to a sensibly modified 4WD, .6mx3m shed full of camping gear(for when I go with friends),  and a caravan (for when Mrs AJ comes along).  

Now we've got the caravan I need to add a transmission cooler to the Pajero.  Expecting somewhere between $500 and $1000 to get that done.  And a van service sometime before mid-August. (no idea what thats going to cost) :(

You are bang on re the transmission cooler - I paid $550 for mine (Colorado).

Did a full van service before we moved into it fulltime - $800 😲

I never really understand these arguments.  People don't start with the premise of 'shall I get into tri or motor racing?  (insert whatever is offered up in defence).

The question on their minds isn't 'how is expensive is tri compared to X'.   It's just, 'how expensive is tri ?'

None of these suggestions cost much when the gear is just sitting in the garage.

Chat with people involved with anything equestrian. Costs time and money every week, whether you're riding or not.

43 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

None of these suggestions cost much when the gear is just sitting in the garage.

Chat with people involved with anything equestrian. Costs time and money every week, whether you're riding or not.

Agree. Where I live, about 1 in 3 homes have at least 1 horse in the paddock. They aren't working horses either. they are there for pleasure or show. What people here often say is "It used to be that rich people had cars, and poor people had horses. It's now the other way around."

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Like most things in life. There is almost always a cheaper option.

Until recently my mate raced B grade vets on an alloy frame with 9 speed shimano & is still in the top 3. He only traded to carbon & 11 speed due to a mechanical failure (can’t remember what it was). He still uses alloy rims (I can’t believe I still call him a friend) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

B&W, you an me maybe better never meet!  We probably couldn't share the same room ;);) 

21 minutes ago, goughy said:

B&W, you an me maybe better never meet!  We probably couldn't share the same room ;);) 

You’ll meet him at a donut eating competition.  

that’s where I first met him. 

13 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Like most things in life. There is almost always a cheaper option.

Until recently my mate raced B grade vets on an alloy frame with 9 speed shimano & is still in the top 3. He only traded to carbon & 11 speed due to a mechanical failure (can’t remember what it was). He still uses alloy rims (I can’t believe I still call him a friend) 

Legend this guy

21 hours ago, Paul Every said:

At least you can eat the horse if times are really tough...

On 30/06/2020 at 12:37 PM, Ayto said:

You are bang on re the transmission cooler - I paid $550 for mine (Colorado).

Did a full van service before we moved into it fulltime - $800 😲

To reduce the chance of overheating the transmission when towing...

$790 to replace the Tranmission cooler with a bigger one.  Bit a fiddly work to be done to get it to fit,

$250+ to replace the driving lights for lower profile ones (probably a lightbar) to help the airflow to the radiator.

Rego due next month.

Not bad for a vehicle that's done less than 400km in the past 4 months.  

Havn't got the quote for the van service yet