Limited

105 or Ultegra

Whats everyone's preference to groupsets. Looking to upgrade my road bike and its $1000 difference between the 105 model and the ultegra model. Wheels are also upgraded from Shimano RS-370 to DT swiss 1850. It will only be used for outside training rides and gran fondo events. I won't be road racing. 

So would you pay for the upgrade?

I think I'd go the extra. Is there are other differences between the two models besides the group set and wheels? Are the cranks shimano or another brand? Sometimes it's not a full group set and there might be a better crankset with the Ultegra model. 

• Like 2

I'm a cheapass, so I wouldn't pay the difference, if you're talking mechanical vs mechanical.  If you were talking mechanical vs electronic, that's a bit different.  I've never used electronic, but I can't see the difference between mech and elec being that different in use on a road bike.  On a TT, I can see elec being vastly superior due to being able to shift from the brake levers.

But don't take my word for it, as I know nothing!

• Like 1

Other than the wheels/groupset and colour everything else is the same between the two bike. They are full shimano groupset including cranksets. Electronic shifting is another $1k which puts it way out of my price range.

Wheels are a tough one as I currently don't have disk brakes so would be running whatever comes with the bike. But may look to upgrade to something carbon in the future

Personally would take the 105 & bank the $1000 difference - and then use that towards a really nice set of wheels (either now or down the track, depending on what you want to spend)... 🙂

• Like 3

Just now, Abby said:

Personally would take the 105 & bank the $1000 difference - and then use that towards a really nice set of wheels (either now or down the track, depending on what you want to spend)... 🙂

Same here

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I would go Ultegra

Be realistic; you'd have gone di2.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm leaning towards the 105 and use the left over to get a set of the Assimo pedals. But its a tough decision 

Edited by Limited

48 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Red goes faster.

Only when youre having a mid-life crisis 🙄

1 hour ago, Limited said:

Don't bring facts into this post Ex

You could buy both. Test them to see which is better.

Then keep both.

5 hours ago, Abby said:

Same here. 

I have both. Cant notice a difference worth a dime really. 

Wheels on the other hand.....

105  = Woolworths donuts 

ultegra = Krispy Kreme 

Ultegra Di2 = bakery donuts

Durace Di2 = speciality flavored bakery donuts

they all do the job, it just depends on what you want at the time 

How long do you think you'll own the bike, and how much will you ride it? Ultegra lasts longer, but if it's not your main ride or you figure you'll replace it in a few years, 105 might make sense. But if you're planning to put a lot of kms on it for a decade or two, start with Ultegra, then upgrade to Dura Ace as bits wear out. I have 100K km on my primary, 21 year old bike. I started with Ultegra and have replaced nearly everything with Dura Ace, but the Ultegra brakes and cranks are still on it.

Look at the lifetime cost of ownership – that's where high end components can end up being the cheapest option.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bored@work said:

105  = Woolworths donuts 

mmmmmmmm  $3/dozen

• Haha 1

At that price differential, I'd stick with 105.

However, I'm curious to know why . I bought my ultegra mechancial groupset at around $700 new (from memory). It seems the upgrade price is way to high unless there are other things coming with the upgrade. 

• Like 1

On pushys, it looks like an ultegra groupset with disks would be about 2k.  Assuming I've selected the correct components.

And red - why is it even a question!

15 minutes ago, goughy said:

And red - why is it even a question!

Cause its the $1000 question. But I agree Red is better 

1 hour ago, dazmuzza said:

However, I'm curious to know why . I bought my ultegra mechancial groupset at around $700 new (from memory). It seems the upgrade price is way to high unless there are other things coming with the upgrade. 

Other that wheels and groupset every else is the same. Looking at other brands $1000 looks like the difference between their 105 model and ultegra models 

Gee, a lot has changed in the years since I bought mine. I went with Ultegra because that was the model that had the frame colour I wanted. Also had an alloy fork whereas the 105 model had a steel fork (yes, it was 1991). Back then, pretty sure it was only $100 difference between the two models (Cannondale SC800 versus an SC600). As others have said above, it looking long term I'd say go Ultegra and upgrade bits as they wear out, but that $1000 can buy you a fair bit of bling either new online or second hand off Gumtree etc. My original 7 speed Ultegra (downtube shifters) is all gone except the brake levers, everything else is now Dura-ace 9 speed (with bar end levers) courtesy of Parkers in the mid to late 90's.

On 29/06/2020 at 3:03 PM, Abby said:

Great advice. 

On 29/06/2020 at 10:06 PM, Bored@work said:

105  = Woolworths donuts 

ultegra = Krispy Kreme 

Ultegra Di2 = bakery donuts

Durace Di2 = speciality flavored bakery donuts

they all do the job, it just depends on what you want at the time 

The first is just something to bribe small children who don't know better.....

Go bakery or go home .....

And speaking of groupsets, In my experience, DA tends to outlast the frame.

It doesn’t really matter, certainly if you are good and can ride better then others it doesn’t. However, if you like the coffee shop thing it matters. 

Personally, I go 105 and put the left over money into a horse syndicate.