Sign in to follow this  
Bored@work

Covid / Fitness / no racing

How's everyone going with their fitness and weight?

Now that COVID restrictions are starting to ease (Except for those in Vic)

How's the fitness and weight going? How much weight have you lost/put on?

What has changed for you and what have you been doing to stay motivated.

I just ordered a heap of premade meals (youfoodz) meals to try & keep the weight off. Working from home it's easy to drop past the snack cupboard.

Have lost a little weight because not boredom/stress eating in the office.  At home I'm preoccupied doing other hobbies in between bursts of work, so eating less.

Fitness also improving, sessions less rushed, more relaxed & doing more training with my wife.  Made her do the dreaded 1km run repeats down at Coffs today.  We punched out 4 at sub-5min pace.  Haven't managed that for about 7yrs.  I love them as they are mentally tough, she hates them, will only do them if I make her.

I was born for this Covid sh*t.  Love it.  If this is what retirement/semi-retirement is like, bring it on 🤩

• Like 1

I haven't put on any weight. I have been enjoying my training more. With out a race to train for there is no pressure to do the hard sessions. I can just go out and enjoy a run or ride without constantly looking at the pace or power on my watch. Surprisingly, according to my Garmin, my VO2 max has not changed.

Like you B@W I have struggled with temptation WFH. When I am away at work I do not keep any snacks in my room. Having a fully stocked kitchen at home requires will power to avoid snacking.

No real changes in weight or fitness. Have liked being able to go straight from work to the trainer! 

Might be sneaking in a few bevvies, but working it off.

Not sure how much of it is Covid related and how much is just the ebb and flow of life.  I have been working the whole time so it is not a WFH thing or anything related.

I have lost 14kg since start of the year, still have probably 10 to go.

I have been focused on 5km running, did my fastest 5km since 2012 at 21:41 a couple of weeks ago.  Probably taken about 4 minutes off my 5km time this year.

Last year I ran 514km for the year, have done 808km so far this year.

Last year I rode 63 hours for the year, 68 hours done so far this year.

Last year I swam 20225m, 29525m done so far this year.

I have not raced for 3 years and this is the fittest I have been since I trained for Shep 2016 but I have started to lose some motivation in the last month or so.  Online challenges have been my motivation.  Mainly the Ironman VC stuff, but also the 42in42 Run group.

Need to set a longer term target now I  think as I finally feel fit enough to train for an event, but at this stage I am not game to enter anything due to cancellations etc.

Edited by Toolish
  • Like 7

With the WFH it gives me more time in the mornings so I decided to do a bike focus. I've been riding 6 days a week following the trainerroad program 

FTP started at 225, hit 240 after 6 weeks of Sweet spot and test again tomorrow after 6 weeks of Sweet spot base 2. Not sure on the weight but having the kitchen so close is not helping but at least there isn't charity chocolate in lunch room.

2 hours ago, Toolish said:

Not sure how much of it is Covid related and how much is just the ebb and flow of life.  I have been working the whole time so it is not a WFH thing or anything related.

I have lost 14kg since start of the year, still have probably 10 to go.

I have been focused on 5km running, did my fastest 5km since 2012 at 21:41 a couple of weeks ago.  Probably taken about 4 minutes off my 5km time this year.

Last year I ran 514km for the year, have done 808km so far this year.

Last year I rode 63 hours for the year, 68 hours done so far this year.

Last year I swam 20225m, 29525m done so far this year.

I have not raced for 3 years and this is the fittest I have been since I trained for Shep 2016 but I have started to lose some motivation in the last month or so.  Online challenges have been my motivation.  Mainly the Ironman VC stuff, but also the 42in42 Run group.

Need to set a longer term target now I  think as I finally feel fit enough to train for an event, but at this stage I am not game to enter anything due to cancellations etc.

Good stuff

Weight - don't weigh myself.  

Fitness - Pretty good.  Did some PB over certain distance or times.  Set a few different goals over past 12 weeks.  

• Like 2

Put on 2kgs, training has dropped off dramatically. Two positives - the body is not sore at all plus my golf handicap has dropped By 4  (still crap though). 
FM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Not swimming showed how simple getting Bike and run is. If we could have a decent duathlon series not sure I'd ever bother with tris.

Fitness pretty good

Weight gained 2 Kgs (now 76 )in the first month binging on M and M's

Apri 26th, decided to go for every route badge on Zwift,  completed that 10 days ago.

May 14th, despite already having climbed about 68,000 mtrs on Zwift, decided to see if I could get Tron bike by end of June, so hit the Everest challenge.  2,200 mtrs to go!

Dropped about 3kgs but that's mostly because I've kept up some running I think.

• Like 4

Not much has changed. Did get a massive FTP boost in May from doing loads of Zwift, but motivation has melted away now as the colder weather set in. The lack of racing has made it harder I think.

A new year starts tomorrow. Last bottle of red tonight. Time to be truthful with myself. 

FM

6 minutes ago, Flanman said:

A new year starts tomorrow. Last bottle of red tonight. Time to be truthful with myself. 

FM

I'm doing "Dry July" again this year. I'm still trying to work out whether Chardonnay is "dry" enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe Chablis??

I was losing small amounts of weight consistently from Jan through April.  I’ve put it all back on in the last 2 months. 

I was just running, but I was less consistent in May and stopped in June. 

2 hours ago, Tyno said:

I was losing small amounts of weight consistently from Jan through April.  I’ve put it all back on in the last 2 months. 

I was just running, but I was less consistent in May and stopped in June. 

I have found ongoing that consistent running is the best thing for my weight.  I have plateau a bit lately losing weight and I am thinking a run focus might be the answer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm doing "Dry July" again this year. I'm still trying to work out whether Chardonnay is "dry" enough.

Dry Ginger Ale in whisky is dry enough for me.

• Like 1

After copping a bit (5 separate occasions since early February) of heckling from passing cars about my weight whilst out running around my local area, I've really cut down and dropped from 86ish to 81ish. Started paying attention to what I was putting in my mouth and the graph just kept going down. Getting back on the committed training program definitely helped as well. 

FTP is back up to 283 (about 3.45W/kg), running has come a long way and I'm starting to edge back under 2:00/100m in the pool.

Edited by BNothling
Because I'm an idiot.
  • Like 4

Gee, it’s rough out by the Bay if you’re getting heckled at under 90 kegs!

8 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Yeah, the first one was easier to brush off as a pisstake, but then the same car and group did it again a week later. That took a while to get over and then it seems to be periodic every few weeks from random cars now. I know that it's stupid and I shouldn't let it get to me, but the truth is that it does, and it usually results in some unhealthy behaviour for a few days. Still, that's my problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BNothling said:

running has come a long way and I'm starting to edge back under 2:00/100m.

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

I can fully understand why you're getting heckled if your running at just under 2:00/100m.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I can fully understand why you're getting heckled if your running at just under 2:00/100m.

Haha. Fair call 😅

2 hours ago, BNothling said:

After copping a bit (5 separate occasions since early February) of heckling from passing cars about my weight whilst out running

F^ckers & w@nkers

21 minutes ago, SomeTri said:

F^ckers & w@nkers

Yep, most people that dish it out like that would be lucky to run to the end of the bike!

3 hours ago, BNothling said:

Yeah, the first one was easier to brush off as a pisstake, but then the same car and group did it again a week later. That took a while to get over and then it seems to be periodic every few weeks from random cars now. I know that it's stupid and I shouldn't let it get to me, but the truth is that it does, and it usually results in some unhealthy behaviour for a few days. Still, that's my problem.

Reminds me of when I lived in Lane Cove, Sydney.  I was running along Lane Cove Rd just before it turns into Epping Rd and there is a huge serve station there with a wide driveway.  

I was running along, nearly at the end of my run and half way across the driveway and this guy in his car waiting to drive out shouts ' MOVE IT YOU FAT BASTARD'.  he laughed, I didn't.  (but he was right)

• Sad 1

After Racing stopped in WA in mid march i took a couple of weeks off then on 1st april started the 100 day run challenge

Tonight was day 92 and i was surprised how i had adapted to running every day after a couple of weeks.

Our pools opened here a few weeks ago so have been swimming with 2 short rides a week as well.

Proper training starts monday July 20 for 13 weeks up to busso 70.3 in October

Am considering the day of the month run thing Fat Pom talked about a while back.

Weight has stayed the same at 73kgs.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

7DB7A212-8678-4F36-A95C-125453369CF1.jpeg

Paper bag please.......

FM

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, BNothling said:

I get abused all the time when I'm out riding or running around my area. Most of the time it's my work "mates". 

Living 3.5km from work has some downfalls. 

12 hours ago, Triatx said:

After Racing stopped in WA in mid march i took a couple of weeks off then on 1st april started the 100 day run challenge

Tonight was day 92 and i was surprised how i had adapted to running every day after a couple of weeks.

Our pools opened here a few weeks ago so have been swimming with 2 short rides a week as well.

Proper training starts monday July 20 for 13 weeks up to busso 70.3 in October

Am considering the day of the month run thing Fat Pom talked about a while back.

Weight has stayed the same at 73kgs.

I have also been running every day - today's run was the 85th consecutive day of running.  I'm currently sitting around 70km per week.  The very optimistic goal is to crack 100km in a week.

Had always intended a run focus. Suspended Zwift and the memberships at two different pools before the lockdowns began.  Haven't missed the cycling or swimming. Will probably ride again once the weather warms up, but could be a while before I return to the pool.

Currently no races planned. Had originally considered the 50km Trail Run at the Surf Coast Century in September - very unlikely now. Maybe the 56km at the Two Bays Trail in January.  Although I'm pretty content having no events on the horizon. Won't bother me terribly to miss the whole 2020/21 season. Think I needed a bit of break.

I'm sitting around 73kgs as well.

• Like 1

Rob,thats interesting that you are at about 70k a week as i am almost the same,last week was 76 but that was the highest.

First week was only 38 then roughly went up each week by 10 percent till i got to the 70 which seems managable and have stayed there.

Haha, my first week of running 7 days totalled 39.1km.

I have been basing the increases on how my body feels.  So I tend to have a few weeks of small increases followed by a period when I consolidate.  Plus I ease off the distance every 4th week for recovery.

My previous biggest weekly mileage was 70km (about 7 or 8 years ago).  So I have plateaued a little around the 70km mark while my body adjusts.  A few aches and pains, but generally holding up pretty well.  Will hopefully crack 80km in the next 4 weeks.  After that, I'll probably need to consider double run days if I want to hit 100km for the week.

Lost 6 kg since March. Simply more regular running and cycling. Got my knee sorted and running is enjoyable again. WFH is great. No wasted time sitting in a car travelling or attending endless meetings. Only downside has been no swimming. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greyman said:

Lost 6 kg since March. Simply more regular running and cycling. Got my knee sorted and running is enjoyable again. WFH is great. No wasted time sitting in a car travelling or attending endless meetings. Only downside has been no swimming. 

I've been working from home 1 or 2 days a week for most of the last 12 years (spent 2 years at one shitty job that didn't allow it).

Always loved working from home, but didn't think I'd be able to handle it full time. Thought I'd miss the contact with my work collegues.  I was wrong, I love WFH full time. Have no plans to return to the office.

On ‎2‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 9:14 AM, Bored@work said:

I get abused all the time when I'm out riding or running around my area. 

There cat whistles!!!! I think they like you!