Toolish

Weight Training

I need to incorporate weight training as I am super weak.  Probably not tri specific but I want to be stronger for life not necessarily for triathlon.

What are some sessions and how do you fit it into your week!

3 minutes ago, Toolish said:

I need to incorporate weight training as I am super weak.  Probably not tri specific but I want to be stronger for life not necessarily for triathlon.

What are some sessions and how do you fit it into your week!

I like to preface this with I have no idea and no qualifications (but it is the internet so I post any way 😀)

Through a tri training cycle of 12 weeks I would go:

1. Lateral Pull-Downs
  2. Leg Extensions
  3. Leg Curls
  4. Bench Press
  5. Squats
  6. Dumbbell Pullover
  7. Reverse Lunges
  8. Side Lateral Raises
  9. Calf Raise
  10. Bicep Curl
  11. Triceps
  12. Leg Press

2 weeks of 1 set 12 to 15

4 weeks 2 sets 12 to 15

4 weeks 10,8,6 get strong

2 weeks power moving the weight with a stronger, rapid contraction.

This is the Mark Allen weights program, you get strong and super ripped. I found the get strong phase caused me to add a bit of bulk, often struggle to get into the wet suit.

Overall felt healthy and strong, downside I ran slower and it is hard to swim when body is sore from pumping iron.

• Like 1

Super simple me stolen from B Stulberg- 3x10 goblet squats with a kettlebell, 3x10 pull-ups, 3x20 weighted lunges (kettlebells), 3x20 pushups, 3x10 single leg deadlifts. 20 minutes, 3 times a week. It’s helped strength but more importantly mobility for me. 

• Like 3

Only as good as the way it is executed and how the load is applied.  

If you don't move well you are just loading bad movement. 

See a professional 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

See a professional 

Are you suggesting we need a coach, PT qualified person and pay them if we are to execute the exercises properly?

1 minute ago, BarryBevan said:

Are you suggesting we need a coach, PT qualified person and pay them if we are to execute the exercises properly?

We get bike fits, we spend money on race wheels, a kickr, zwift, new bikes, new runners, the latest garmin why not put some investment into your body. 

The issue is with exercise execution is very individualised not a one size fits all approach.   Exercises need to be adapted to current movement capacity, strength and skill level and the progressed from there.  

Rather then think of the now think of the longevity of being able to do stuff as well in ten years.  This is why it is important to get a solid foundation laid.  

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156941689362015&id=729312014

21 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

We get bike fits, we spend money on race wheels, a kickr, zwift, new bikes, new runners, the latest garmin why not put some investment into your body. 

The issue is with exercise execution is very individualised not a one size fits all approach.   Exercises need to be adapted to current movement capacity, strength and skill level and the progressed from there.  

Rather then think of the now think of the longevity of being able to do stuff as well in ten years.  This is why it is important to get a solid foundation laid.  

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156941689362015&id=729312014

Sure, most people who start out on any let alone any fitness program do it poorly, look for short term gains and don't stick it out.

Is there a place for people who understand the basic principles and apply them, I get what you are saying most people don't know these or how to do it.

I was never a big weights guy, for a while in the 90's I wanted to pump iron in a misguided mission to be able to attract women. After a few months goofing about I got the gym (certified) guy to give me a program and we measured. Did what I was told and executed the exercises properly. This meant for a long time I lifted less weight than my mates who laughed at me.

My frame changed from its normal 75 Kg 6 feet 4 to about 85 kg. As I get a bit older thinking of going back to the weights, the Mark Allen stuff is okay, though don't think the strenght phase should happen while in a big SBR block, more an off season thing.

Suppose it starts with the purpose, which for me, is maintain all round health fitness and muscle as I age

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

See a professional 

If you had a choice who would you see, exercise physiologist, physiotherapist, PT? 

25 minutes ago, CootaGC said:

If you had a choice who would you see, exercise physiologist, physiotherapist, PT? 

Context required

This is my opinion

Exercise Physiologist if have disease or rehabbing from surgery.  They are more your fiddly type of approach.  

Physiotherapist - this one really depends not many physio are actually strength and conditioning coaches so their business is based on diagnosing and treating injuries.  They are also not equipped really to provide adequate training in their settings

PT - this again needs context as a PT in today's comes in many shapes and forms.  The general PT is really just someone that helps general population in basic training and with some nutrition advice.  Note a lot step outside scope of practice and try and be s&c coaches and nutritionists. If go this route find someone with an interest in your sport of choice as this way have an actual understanding.  Don't chose based on looks and image chose on knowledge and experience.  Stay away from body builders types.

S&C - this is the best bet but again choose wisely source out the persons background.  Some are into powerlifting, cross fit and don't understand nature of endurance sports.  Some also have background in rehab especially return to sport. 

So if you are injured see a physio first then maybe get a referral from them or seek out a EP or S&C coach with rehab background 

If you have a disease - RA, cancer, diabetes etc go to an EP first.

If you after strength, performance training see a S&C coach or a PT with a focus on sport not looks.  

If you after image and looks see a bodybuilder focussed PT

If you after weightloss and improvement in diet see a nutritionist or a dietician.  

Each field has its place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

100 burpees a day.  Problem solved

**mic drop**

Note: take my advice to your own detriment

• Haha 1

I am super weak, particularly my upper body.  Could never get into the gym thing.  Only ever managed one rep of 60kg bench press in my life, can't manage one pullup.  Yet I turn up to peoples houses and hulk chairs out on my own.  I lift 3 seaters off the floor up onto my tables at work, and have shifted them in and out of my van on my own.  I've seen my crossfit mates struggle to get even close to that, and do double takes when I throw their chairs over my head and carry them out on my own.  

For men its almost always about image, even though the answer is ahem I want functional strength and to avoid injury. When they really want to look like Zac Effron in Baywatch

• Like 1