Sign in to follow this  
PeterW

Winter Gloves

Probably more of a question for our Southern State posters, but does anyone know a brand and supplier of a really, really, super-dooper warm cycling glove?

Maybe I've got poor circulation or something but the end result of a morning ride is cold fingers, going to numbness and then to almost excruciating pain (seriously, I am not kidding) that doesn't go away for quite some time even when I warm them up.  Happened today in about 2 to 4 degrees with new "GripGrab Ride Waterproof Winter Gloves" from Wiggle.  Fark it hurt!!

So I am looking at an extraordinarily warm pair of gloves and I (almost) don't care what they cost. Any ideas?

One rider I know simply uses ski gloves - would that work?

I have also heard of electrically heated gloves - anyone know anything about them?  Maybe those small heatpacks from woolworths?

Layers!

Try wearing a pair of food handling gloves under your GripGrabs or a pair of merino wool liners?

If it gets too hot, then you can remove a layer.

I wear BBB coldshield gloves, and get down to those temps.  I think they make one more glove that's a warmer model, and I admit I wouldn't mind having it for sub 5 days.  These are a dual layer glove, so they have the warmer brushed feeling inside and an outer protective layer.  I think the warmer ones have three layers.  They weren't all that expensive so felt they were worth a try, and I've been happy enough with them so far.

11 minutes ago, iFoz said:

Layers!

Try wearing a pair of food handling gloves under your GripGrabs or a pair of merino wool liners?

If it gets too hot, then you can remove a layer.

I tried a pair of lycra type gloves that I bought from Anaconda for just that purpose, I think that overall it might have been a bit better but they made the gloves a tighter fit and I think that may have made things worse.  Maybe I need bigger gloves so I can do that without making things tighter?

One UK bike site (and I am betting that UK people really know about cold :) ) recommend the "CASTELLI ESTREMO WINTER CYCLING GLOVES" and I have managed to find them in Australia, albeit at $160 incl delivery.... waddyareckon?

27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

One UK bike site (and I am betting that UK people really know about cold :) ) recommend the "CASTELLI ESTREMO WINTER CYCLING GLOVES" and I have managed to find them in Australia, albeit at $160 incl delivery.... waddyareckon?

$160 for a pair of cycling gloves! Eeeeek. Did they come off an old shuttle spacesuit?

If your fingers are frostbitten, what are your toes like? how do you keep them warm?

21 minutes ago, iFoz said:

$160 for a pair of cycling gloves! Eeeeek. Did they come off an old shuttle spacesuit?

If your fingers are frostbitten, what are your toes like? how do you keep them warm?

No problems with the toes - I've got BBB shoe covers that seem to do the trick

I'll see if I have an email from when I bought mine.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-cycling-gloves/bbb/vic/melbourne/bbb-bwg-25-weather-proof-gloves/102829665?variant_id=2781854

Don't have the email anymore, but I think I found mine on eBay.

Edited by goughy

Thanks goughy - all paid up and on their way. I also ordered XL rather than L so I can wear undergloves as well if I need to :)

• Like 1

I'm tempted to get a pair myself for those really nasty days, but I think I'll wait.

Aldi ski sale is where I get my winter gloves. These can normally be worn under a pair of Ski Gloves if you are skiing. And if you use them riding and you get too hot... easy fit in the back pocket.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Aldi ski sale is where I get my winter gloves. These can normally be worn under a pair of Ski Gloves if you are skiing. And if you use them riding and you get too hot... easy fit in the back pocket.

Same here & my cycling buddies too.  The light weight black ones with the finger pads so you can use your phone screen. I can fit mine under my summer globes for extra padding. A friend bought two pair, one is a larger size so he can wear them both at the same time. Excellent aa running gloves too

• Like 1

I have the same issue with my hands. I bought Castelli Estremo Winter Gloves a few years ago. I will usually use these if the temp is below around 6 or 7 degrees depending on how long I am going to ride for. Once you get in the low to mid teens you will start to get very warm. 

Not sure where you are but these have been great down to around -2 degrees. Doesn’t get any colder here. 
You loose bit of dexterity but can push buttons on the Garmin etc ok. Getting some food out of your back pocket can be tough. Maybe that has more to do with the jackets I wear.

10 hours ago, Surfer said:

Same here & my cycling buddies too.  The light weight black ones with the finger pads so you can use your phone screen. I can fit mine under my summer globes for extra padding. A friend bought two pair, one is a larger size so he can wear them both at the same time. Excellent aa running gloves too

I have about 5-6 pairs and last year they brought out a heavier duty pair which I use when its really cool. 

• Like 1

On 18/06/2020 at 4:44 PM, PeterW said:

Thanks goughy - all paid up and on their way. I also ordered XL rather than L so I can wear undergloves as well if I need to :)

So I get a call - "the gloves you ordered aren't in stock, so will you accept the more expensive model as a replacement at no extra cost?" After approximately one microsecond of weighing it up my answer was "Yes please!!". 

So my BWG 29s (ordered 25s) arrived today. They are truly things of beauty and they  fit like a glove...     ....and - wait for it - I am actually looking forward to a really cold (mid single figure) day to try them out!! 

• Like 1

I was hoping to hear how they went for you.  Mine are good for above 5°, but it was a bit less the other day and was thinking I could use a little bit more warmth on the hands.

These today:

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/special-buys-sat-4-july/saturday-detail-wk27/ps/p/adults-winter-gloves-3/

I use these mostly through June - Sept. june and Sept i just start out with them and July August they are on for the whole ride unless its a long one and its warm in the middle of the day.

Edited by IronmanFoz
Typo's
  • Like 2

What's it like up your way at the moment @goughy? It was 19 degrees at 4pm this afternoon here, and it's now 5.4. Bloody hell I'm not looking forward to an early start in the morning.

I haven't ridden this last week.  Some of my mates Garmin's were reporting a temp of -6° at Cambooya on their 90k ride today.  Tougher than most of us as pretty much everyone I ride with pulled the plug this weekend.  My excuse was upgrading the bike components.  I really need a different set of gloves for near 0°.  It really makes such a difference how cold those fingers get.  And maybe a warmer set of thermal bibs.  Granted, it was the wind that kept me and my mate off our bikes this weekend, as we were both restricted to our TT's with deep wheels (his 80mm).

• Sad 1

On 26/06/2020 at 1:07 PM, goughy said:

I was hoping to hear how they went for you.  Mine are good for above 5°, but it was a bit less the other day and was thinking I could use a little bit more warmth on the hands.

Not great - I mean, they were better than the other gloves and good for me at my "level 2" which is about 8 degrees and above. My latest trick is actual goretex ski gloves that so far have been much better but still yet to head out on a "level 1" morning (around 2 or 3 degrees)

Too bulky to grab zips and things but I can change gears and operate the brakes OK with ski gloves.  I can sense a level 1 morning coming, I will let you know how it goes :)

On ‎5‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 9:11 PM, goughy said:

I haven't ridden this last week.  Some of my mates Garmin's were reporting a temp of -6° at Cambooya on their 90k ride today.  Tougher than most of us as pretty much everyone I ride with pulled the plug this weekend.  My excuse was upgrading the bike components.  I really need a different set of gloves for near 0°.  It really makes such a difference how cold those fingers get.  And maybe a warmer set of thermal bibs.  Granted, it was the wind that kept me and my mate off our bikes this weekend, as we were both restricted to our TT's with deep wheels (his 80mm).

I wouldnt go out in minus 6 either. Head freeze is worse that finger freeze...almost.

On 06/07/2020 at 6:56 PM, goughy said:

Bugger, sorry about that.

No worries, I am sure they are good for most people but I must have unusually crap circulation. I do really like them and will wear them for high single, low to mid double digit temps.  I choose my kit the night before based on the temperature in the weather forecast. :)

Big fan of the ground effect winter gloves. Online orders designed for Christchurch winters.

Wore mine on Sat MTBing, those gloves, 2 thermal layers on top, wool socks. Fingers good, toes cold

Sealskinz are good. They have seen me through a couple of winters commuting to work. Always dry even when it is pouring down and have longish cuffs which you can fit under your waterproof jacket to shingle the water off.

Edit to say I’ve been commuting to work with them in Vancouver for a couple of years where it rains everyday in winter.

Edited by Keithh

So I headed out in around 5 degrees this morning and this time used the ski gloves with thin nylon/lycra type undergloves.

Happy to say it is the first time in a long time that I did not get cold hands at all.  They may have felt a little cool once or twice but never cold and certainly nowhere near the kind of pain I normally experience.

After trying 4 sets of gloves, each with and without undergloves I have come to the (bleedingly obvious) conclusion: The thicker the glove the warmer it is.  it doesn't seem to matter how expensive/cheap it is or what hi-tech product or materials they claim to have, thicker is warmer!

In fact the more it looks like a ski-glove (ie thicker) the warmer it is - so, not surprisingly, the ski glove is the hands-down winner. 

A couple of points to note - this has nothing to do with water proof or not water proof - that's a whole 'nuther thing but I am trying to avoid riding in wet, freezing conditions!  Also, just because a glove doesn't work for me doesn't mean it wont work for you - I am a bit of cold-hand tragic and you might not need the same kind of warmth I do! 

PS - I should point out that the thicker the glove the more restrictive they are, however I found that, even with the ski gloves, I could still change gears and use the brakes effectively.  Difficult to push buttons or use zippers but.

Edited by PeterW