Limited

Run and Bike Sessions

What does everyone's week look like in regards to the number of sessions and the intensity?

I've struggled in the past with not spacing my session out correctly and I feel like I'm not doing the hard sessions hard enough and too close together and running have a big impact on recovery.

I'm currently only riding so I've been doing 3 Hard sessions and 1 long ride + 2 easy session on Trainerroad so 1xV02 + 2 x Threshold/Sweetspot. I would like to add running back in so I'm thinking I'll replace 1 of the threshold session for a tempo run once I've got run fitness back - And then running 20-30 min off the bike a couple of days a week and My Sundays I would alternate each week either a long run or longer outside ride

Thinking my week will be

Mon - Strength Swim

Tue - Bike - vo2  run - easy

Wed - Bike Easy - Swim

Thur - Bike - Easy Run Hard (Start back easy but become a workout)

Fri - Bike Easy - Swim

Sat - Bike Hard Run Easy

Sun - Bike Long Alternate with long run

Does this sound ok or should I drop 1 ride and replace with another run?

For the record I'm a ok biker and runner only doing tris up to half distance. Biked 2:45 at port last year and ran 1:50

I was listening to a podcast the other day that went into this, I cant recall which one it was but I think it was one of the 'scientific triathlon' ones, @lachie94 might know if he is still here..

They were talking about his as one of the big mistakes they see with people trying to spread out intensity and therefore, minimizing recovery. They talked about the option of doing hard bike/run on same days and then very easy/nothing the next day to actually recover. Your second workout may be 95% rather than 100% but with the pre fatigue, the overall benefit and specificity may actually be better..

I think your routine would be a pretty popular template though, and i am sure you would get to where you wanted to but just need to ensure recovery is a focus 

Do you have a goal race booked? Also, do you want to podium and/or qualify? My general plan

• Mon - Trainer ride and/or gym
  • Tue - Trainer ride
  • Wed - Gym and swim if a pool is open (paddles, pull x 100s)
  • Thur - Trainer ride
  • Fri - Gin + Tonic
  • Sat - Trainer ride + 10-15min ROTB
  • Sun - Long run + swim

Race prep plan - Mondays become another swim, Tuesdays I add a ROTB, Wednesdays I swim, and distance increases. Weekends the distances get increased gradually. I try to aim for some outdoor rides too, but my coach has given Rouvy the ok, for all my bike sessions, especially if I use the Port Mac course 😂 Gym sessions get dropped in the last 8 weeks...

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

MissJ, how many reps do you do on Fridays?

She increases the reps by no more than 10% every week

• Haha 1

Thanks pieman. It makes sense to me but just making sure I’m not doing anything too stupid. 

miss Jess I’ll definitely make sure I’ll continue with the Friday session. Not trying to qualify. My age bracket is way too fast. Next year I’ll target husky then either port or cairns 70.3

• Haha 1