FatPom

Everest record gone again

10 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I’m thinking about giving Everesting a go 

I'm considering a Zwift version but I can't meet the Hells 500 criteria of trainer on 100%.  I tried it on Epic KOM and nearly died. Plus I'm not joining Strava just for that.

Edited by FatPom

13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I’m thinking about giving Everesting a go 

I've thought about it, but I think it will well and truly exceed my boredom threshold. The Roam 400km+/10,000m vert ride sounds far more interesting.

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

I'm considering a Zwift version but I can't meet the Hells 500 criteria of trainer on 100%.  I tried it on Epic KOM and nearly died. Plus I'm not joining Strava just for that.

Couldn't you get some bigger gears? - would have the same effect as lowering the resistance on your trainer. 

I've been toying with one for a while but got injured last season doing a half eversting up mt donna buang. It felt good apart from my achilles calling time (not from the effort, but from the training before and a bad bike set-up I suspect). If only..... We may never know now!

Maybe one day. You should totally do it @Bored@work

5 hours ago, dazaau said:

Couldn't you get some bigger gears? - would have the same effect as lowering the resistance on your trainer. 

I've been toying with one for a while but got injured last season doing a half eversting up mt donna buang. It felt good apart from my achilles calling time (not from the effort, but from the training before and a bad bike set-up I suspect). If only..... We may never know now!

Maybe one day. You should totally do it @Bored@work

I suppose I could use my road bike in the trainer, that has 34/28 instead of 36/28. but my TT bike lives in the trainer and I'm so used to it now (plus roadie has Campag and trainer has a Shimano cassette).

There's no way on earth I'd bother spending money buying extra gears for a virtual Everest.  IRL maybe.

Edited by FatPom

13 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I suppose I could use my road bike in the trainer, that has 34/28 instead of 36/28. but my TT bike lives in the trainer and I'm so used to it now (plus roadie has Campag and trainer has a Shimano cassette).

There's no way on earth I'd bother spending money buying extra gears for a virtual Everest.  IRL maybe.

Money seems a relatively small price to pay compared to the main currency of sitting on zwift for 16-24 hours 😅

Edited by dazaau

11 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Money seems a relatively small price to pay compared to the main currency of sitting on zwift for 16-24 hours 😅

haha, well 6h47 is my 'record' so far on Zwift.    Getting the Everest badge on Zwift isn't the issue, with a smart plan, I think I could give it a go.

The issue is if I want to be on the Hall of Fame, which Hells 500 administer. I can't meet their criteria.

I know a guy whose done 67 Everests, he had to move state to find more hills 😂. Short (<1km) 12%ers seem to be the faster ones for him. He's done all the Sydney gorges, both directions, multiple times, including Somerville which is steeper than the main ones. Impressive and inspiring but not enough for me to have done one.

35 minutes ago, Kiwinoz said:

I know a guy whose done 67 Everests, he had to move state to find more hills 😂. Short (<1km) 12%ers seem to be the faster ones for him. He's done all the Sydney gorges, both directions, multiple times, including Somerville which is steeper than the main ones. Impressive and inspiring but not enough for me to have done one.

How many laps of the Brooklyn climb to the pie in the sky would you have to do to Everest. 

On 16/06/2020 at 8:15 AM, FatPom said:

I didnt know you coukd make it easier. I must have had mine on 100% all the time, as those climbs suck! 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

How many laps of the Brooklyn climb to the pie in the sky would you have to do to Everest. 

You can't Everest on a lap though. It has to be up & down the same route.

24 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You can't Everest on a lap though. It has to be up & down the same route.

He means repeats in relation to the Brooklyn climb.

So 48.

2 hours ago, Kiwinoz said:

Is that Somerville Road at Hornsby that leads down to Crosslands? Has the road been sealed now?

Has he done Cottage Point?

59 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Is that Somerville Road at Hornsby that leads down to Crosslands? Has the road been sealed now?

Has he done Cottage Point?

Crosslands rd from Galston isn't sealed but Somerville rd from Hornsby is. No cottage point Everests.

Brooklyn would be nice, pie shop, good descent, pie shop, steady grade, pie shop, only 49 reps and about 390km.

4 hours ago, Turts said:

I didnt know you coukd make it easier. I must have had mine on 100% all the time, as those climbs suck! 

If you've never consciously changed it, the default is 50% I believe.

9 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Is there some rationale behind the 50 % default setting? I put it to 100 % on the basis that this was the most accurate simulation.

For Everest, Black Mountain Canberra 39 repeats.

15 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Is there some rationale behind the 50 % default setting? I put it to 100 % on the basis that this was the most accurate simulation.

For Everest, Black Mountain Canberra 39 repeats.

I don't know but I can barely turn mine at 36/28 at 100% for any length of time or decent pitch. Which considering I've taken the exact same bike around the IM Wales course 5 times, seems rather odd to me.

Maybe I'm a better climber IRL than on Zwift, that'd be a turn up. 😁

3 hours ago, FatPom said:

I don't know but I can barely turn mine at 36/28 at 100% for any length of time or decent pitch. Which considering I've taken the exact same bike around the IM Wales course 5 times, seems rather odd to me.

Maybe I'm a better climber IRL than on Zwift, that'd be a turn up. 😁

It's odd, can come down to the smart trainer as well. I don't like Zwift courses with rapid change in slope. I think I like the 100 % as in the races the harder it is the easier it is to push against.

It could be the way I ride a bike, the new roubaix shipped with a 50 34 of all things and you can still roll well on a flat:

https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

But I find it a bit too smooth easy feeling, even though there are plenty gears in there for all day cruising that work. 

Yeah I have 50/34 on my road bike (11/28 on back), I seem to get on with that OK and likewise, I get on fine with 36/52 on the TT bike.  However, for some reason on Zwift at 100%, anything over 8% sees me in 36/28 and not for very long if I'm honest.

I am old though!  :wheelchair:

20 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Yeah I have 50/34 on my road bike (11/28 on back), I seem to get on with that OK and likewise, I get on fine with 36/52 on the TT bike.  However, for some reason on Zwift at 100%, anything over 8% sees me in 36/28 and not for very long if I'm honest.

I am old though!  :wheelchair:

Yeah over 8% and it slams a lot of resistance, feels a lot like outside slopes of well over 10 %. How do you find the 50 34. I'm getting better at it, 52 36 I like and as I am deluded thinking of a 53/39.

Upside of the 50/34 is I found you can go up some hills quite quickly with these gears, rather than surrender and grind away, you can get some decent speed with the easier gears.

Edited by BarryBevan

I find it fine. I've had as long as I've had that bike now, which is 5yrs. I'm happy with that on the road bike but I like a bit more to push against on the TT bike, whilst maintaining chainline.

However, 100% on the trainer is more push than I need!  I don't think I'll ever see a 53/39 on any of my bikes again.

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Yeah over 8% and it slams a lot of resistance, feels a lot like outside slopes of well over 10 %. How do you find the 50 34. I'm getting better at it, 52 36 I like and as I am deluded thinking of a 53/39.

Upside of the 50/34 is I found you can go up some hills quite quickly with these gears, rather than surrender and grind away, you can get some decent speed with the easier gears.

Makes you wonder how we grew up with 53/42, and corn-cobs on the back that only got to 19. We'd put 23 on if it was a really hilly course.

eta: No wonder I can hardly walk these days. :(

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, FatPom said:

Where a d how do you do it or check? 

I plugged in my FTP and calibrated. Is it a trainer thing or a swift thing.? 

No way mines at 50%. 

40 minutes ago, Turts said:

Where a d how do you do it or check? 

I plugged in my FTP and calibrated. Is it a trainer thing or a swift thing.? 

No way mines at 50%. 

It is a Zwift thing.

10 minutes ago, Toolish said:

It is a Zwift thing.

Huh. 

I dont have that setting. 

This is a screenshot of my settings page. 

I have a kickr and Android phone.

Is it because I dont have a speed sensor as well? 

Screenshot_20200618-085431.jpg

Edited by Turts

5 minutes ago, Turts said:

Huh. 

Are you using a smart trainer? if not, then your trainer % wont be a thing....

11 minutes ago, Turts said:

Huh. 

Had you paired the Kickr to get to that screen?  Looks as though you loaded up Zwift unpaired.  Pretty sure the trainer difficulty will only show when actually paired.

6 minutes ago, pieman said:

Are you using a smart trainer? if not, then your trainer % wont be a thing....

Wahoo kickr, so yes 

3 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Had you paired the Kickr to get to that screen?  Looks as though you loaded up Zwift unpaired.  Pretty sure the trainer difficulty will only show when actually paired.

Ah good point. Im not at home so just jumped in to see. 

Will check when im home and can connect 

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Makes you wonder how we grew up with 53/42, and corn-cobs on the back that only got to 19. We'd put 23 on if it was a really hilly course.

eta: No wonder I can hardly walk these days. :(

42 💪

Before this deployment I rode 53 36 on a 12/25 mainly in the hills west of Canberra. Think the smaller gears would be interesting up Fitzs Hill, where I think I could sit down and spin at 90 rpm

In the spirit of Sheldon Coopers "Fun with flags", you can work out the power required to Everest in a given time using some simple physics

The energy (Joules) required to get you to the height is given by mass (kg) x height (m) x g (9.81 something or others)

then the amount of POWER (watts) required is simply the energy divided by the time.

So for Lachlan Morton's a new Everesting record in an official time of 7 hours, 32 minutes, and 54 seconds we have 8,848 metres in 27,174 seconds. Assuming his whole kit (including bike) was about 70 kgs we can work out he expended around 6.1 million joules of energy - dividing through by the time means his average power was at least 224 watts.

The article says "Morton averaged 254 watts over the effort" so that could about right given he would have lost power to air and rolling resistance but it does seem a little low - maybe he is skinnier than the 70kg with bike? If we did know it it would be very interesting as we could see how much it all was,

Anyway for a normal red blooded Aussie male with a healthy girth such as myself we would need something greater than 350 watts, probably about 400 for almost 8 hours -  not much chance of that!!

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Assuming his whole kit (including bike) was about 70 kgs

His wiki bio shows 62kg, so assuming he'd use as light a set-up as possible (maybe even under UCI regulations), he'd probably come in just under the 70kg mark.

16 hours ago, Peter said:

Didn’t someone do this in brimbank park?

edit here. 261 laps https://www.lavelocita.cc/la-velocita-rides/boxing-day-everest

352 laps of Anderson Street was surely more iconic/impressive?

59 minutes ago, Limited said:

According to the cyclingtips article above he "only" rode 8400m

he must be gutted, strava burned him good.

On 18/06/2020 at 12:11 AM, Turts said:

Ah good point. Im not at home so just jumped in to see. 

Will check when im home and can connect 

Did you check your trainer Turts?

On 19/06/2020 at 4:45 PM, FatPom said:

Did you check your trainer Turts?

Oh yeah, I did. 80%. 

I must have done it years ago when I first set it up and totally forgotten about it. 

Never go onto the settings tab. 

• Like 1

Looks like Contador has taken the record. I saw it this morning and then went looking for confirmation this arvo and couldn’t find it. But it is back again so I assume it’s real.