Sign in to follow this  
Clayte

SRAM eTap AXS vs Shimano Di2

I am sure the SRAM vs Shimano Case has been debated many times and might also have your typical diehard supporters in each camp, but I am a novice Triathlete When it comes to these types of group sets keen to understand any serious negatives about why I should not but SRAM over Shimano.

I know the Shimano mkt share is greater etc etc and my LBS sells both systems but was raving about the SRAM AXS. 

I am in process if buying/building a new Tri Bike and the LBS was keen for me to use SRAM AXS, after my research it seems to be the go, but I have never used SRAM, concerned about number of suppliers, knowledgeable mechanics of SRAM etc. 

Any thoughts from those that are not getting paid to sell SRAM would be good, experiences of SRAM vs Shimano etc. might help me make a decision in favour of one vs the other.... Thanks people.

Edited by Clayte

Hi, my setup is on road bikes

I put SRAM Force AXS on my new bike in December 2019, replaced a bike with Ultegra Di2.

Other than the how you shift, i couldn't tell you any difference in the shifting. on a TT bike this would potentially be the same between systems.

Both when setup just work. Usage and wear i have had no problems that would say one better than other.

I went with SRAM because i wanted 12 speed and powermeter. 

My son who is a bike mechanic loves SRAM because of the simplistically on setting up, no cables in the frame.

Key day to day difference is you have to regularly charge the SRAM batteries; i do it every 2 weeks, whereas Di2 did every 6 months.

My mate just ordered an AXS Force Road groupset yesterday.  He has original Red etap he put on his TT bike a year or two ago himself.  Never had issues with it, and he's normally the guy who will take his bike to the bike shop for a service.  He did struggle with running all the internal brake cables though.

3 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

I put SRAM Force AXS on my new bike in December 2019, replaced a bike with Ultegra Di2.

Other than the how you shift, i couldn't tell you any difference in the shifting. on a TT bike this would potentially be the same between systems.

Both when setup just work. Usage and wear i have had no problems that would say one better than other.

My son who is a bike mechanic loves SRAM because of the simplistically on setting up, no cables in the frame.

Key day to day difference is you have to regularly charge the SRAM batteries; i do it every 2 weeks, whereas Di2 did every 6 months.

Thanks for that, I have heard easier to set up but surprised to learn you need to charge as often as you do vs. Di2 - AXS seems like a great innovation and excited about it but still unsure  - appreciate the feedback - cheers

Edited by Clayte

10 minutes ago, Clayte said:

Thanks for that, I have heard easier to set up but surprised to learn you need to charge as often as you do vs. Di2 - AXS seems like a great innovation and excited about it but still unsure  - appreciate the feedback - cheers

The charging, I just do as if didn’t do routine would just run till flat; which is not a huge problem as can just swap battles over so rear delieur has power as does most of the shifting. I could set up so that SRAM talks to Garmin or phone and then would show me battery life, but a step to far for this simple old guy.

Isn't the di2 a much larger battery that's fitted a somewhere inside the frame.  And it doesn't have to run a wireless connection.  Aren't the batteries in the shifters of ETAP a coin battery that you change every year?

7 minutes ago, goughy said:

Isn't the di2 a much larger battery that's fitted a somewhere inside the frame.  And it doesn't have to run a wireless connection.  Aren't the batteries in the shifters of ETAP a coin battery that you change every year?

Di2 is one battery in frame, all parts are connected via cables. this is charged via a charging cable into the junction box (generally on bars). The system is hard wired together.

SRAM AXS has batteries in all 4 components, the batteries on the derailleur’s have a separate rechargeable battery on each. There are no cables for the shifting on the bike. The system is wireless hence easier to install. The shifter batteries are as you say. The derailleur batteries you remove and put into a charging cradle to charge.

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

Di2 is one battery in frame, all parts are connected via cables. this is charged via a charging cable into the junction box (generally on bars). The system is hard wired together.

SRAM AXS has batteries in all 4 components, the batteries on the derailleur’s have a separate rechargeable battery on each. There are no cables for the shifting on the bike. The system is wireless hence easier to install. The shifter batteries are as you say. The derailleur batteries you remove and put into a charging cradle to charge.

I thought the one battery that lasted longer was a benefit, but reading about it the issue with di2 is when it is flat you are screwed, the sram you can swap the deraillure batteries around and get at least one working. Same for shifting batteries. 

So, not a bad trade off. 

7 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

What this guys says.

I have two bikes:

1 x running SRAM Force AXS  and the other Di2

I have noticed a couple chain drops on the SRAM & the chain gets jammed between the frame & chain rings. First time I had to get the cranks removed to get the chain out. I spoke with the SRAM rep at the TDU & he put it down to the mechanic installing it incorrectly. I broke the frame before getting it adjusted.

Same thing happened to my mate on Sunday's bunch ride. He ended up needing to get picked up. 

SRAM 12 speed chain & cassette are also expensive compared to shimano.

I do like the quarq power meter that fits perfectly on the SRAM chainrings. It didn't miss a beat.

Appparrently my new BMC hit the shop today. Unfortunetly they won't have time to build it up until next Monday. So I should be back on SRAM sometime next week depending on weather.

• Like 1

I'm currently using Ultegra Di2 on my tri bike since 2015 (so none of this synchro shift etc. stuff) and when I'm back in Malaysia for holidays I ride my sister's with SRAM Etap. I find it harder to press the shift buttons on the side bars with the Etap but this could be easily fixed by cutting holes on the bar that goes around the shifters.

Thanks everyone, so really comes down to preference, costs seem to be similar and the SRAM AXS seem to be more innovative and slightly ahead of the game in bringing the wireless system to market with Shimano coming later and potentially/possibly at a significant cost / paired with Dura Ace only (initially anyway) from my sources of research. 

I might just take the lunge and give SRAM a go - cheers and thanks for the input.

I wait for the day when di2 includes wireless jamming tech.

• Haha 1

I own bikes with both and will take Shimano any day of the week over SRAM. I find SRAM so finicky and prone to breaking, whereas Shimano works effortlessly, parts are cheap and easily to maintain. 

Edited by dazmuzza

On 10/06/2020 at 2:44 PM, dazmuzza said:

I own bikes with both and will take Shimano any day of the week over SRAM. I find SRAM so finicky and prone to breaking, whereas Shimano works effortlessly, parts are cheap and easily to maintain. 

Thanks Dazmuzza - great to hear from real life experiences 👍

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Clayte said:

Thanks Dazmuzza - great to hear from real life experiences 👍

Note though - I haven't used electronic in either (I have mechanical on both). That may be different ballgame. 

25 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Note though - I haven't used electronic in either (I have mechanical on both). That may be different ballgame. 

I have both in electronic. I guess the best question to ask is what groupset will my next bike have.

its a tough call but I think I will go Shimano over Sram.

I like the wireless set up but how often will I be changing /taking the groupset off. I like the lack of cables. My new BMC will have all internal cables anyway. 

I've just gone to the next level and brought a bike one with an internal gearbox.

No derailleur issues now

Oooh, what ya getting?

Not that it'll ever happen, but I'd probably go etap on my bikes as one has no internal cable routing at all, and the other has a sealed up BB so can't get access to hook up junction boxes or battery.  But since most of my group sets are hand me downs from my mate, and he only put ETAP on his TT two years ago and it just arrived for his roadie, I'll have a long wait.

Edited by goughy

Chatting with my mate this arvo.  Didn't realise the largest chainring you can get with axs is 48.  Though paired with a 10 on the back, is about the same as 53/11.  He's going 46/33 front with 28/10 rear.