PeterW

Taping for plantar fasciitis?

I've heard taping is beneficial in the treatment of PF? Your thoughts and experiences?  How is it done? What tape do I use?

(and anything else that can help this incredible frustrating condition!!)

My sympathies.  I've suffered from this on and off for about 10 years and it truely sucks.  Get on it early or it'll become chronic.

Low die taping, or a version of it, definitely helps and it keeps the foot from pronating and helps to de-load the PF.  I've been shown 2 different methods - one by a physio, and one by a podiatrist - the latter was simpler but I don't think it held as well.  I'll try and find the videos I have and post them here.  The tape you use is strapping tape - the stuff that doesn't stretch and is about 2 inches wide.  You use lots of it.  I get a rash from it, quite common apparently, so I use a "retention tape" underneath - usual white stuff...

No advice on taping but I got rid of mine using a combination of methods:

Ice- freeze a small mt franklin bottle and roll it under foot, arch and heel multiple times a day. Have multiple bottles for refreezing and work/home.

sleeping in a Strassburg sock which took a bit of getting used to but i think really helped in the end...

17 minutes ago, SomeTri said:

My sympathies.  I've suffered from this on and off for about 10 years and it truely sucks.  Get on it early or it'll become chronic.

Low die taping, or a version of it, definitely helps and it keeps the foot from pronating and helps to de-load the PF.  I've been shown 2 different methods - one by a physio, and one by a podiatrist - the latter was simpler but I don't think it held as well.  I'll try and find the videos I have and post them here.  The tape you use is strapping tape - the stuff that doesn't stretch and is about 2 inches wide.  You use lots of it.  I get a rash from it, quite common apparently, so I use a "retention tape" underneath - usual white stuff...

My wife has had PF for a couple of years and sought treatment just before the COVID issues.  Taping causes her issues with rash so I will look into retention tape.

Initially physio taping was with Rock tape then we tried Sports tape both gave issues.  

Here is one video for the simplified version.  It works, but doesn't last as long as the other method I learnt - can't find a video for that one.

Trick with this is that the 3 -4 pieces of tape that go under the foot start on the outside and are pulled fairly tightly towards the inside of the foot.  In this video, the last piece of tape is wrapped around the whole foot - This piece of tape is only really to hold the rest of the tape together, so I wouldn't wrap it around the foot, but just over the top of the foot - same place as he starts, but cut the tape in the same area on the other side (hopefully I'm making sense).  

Thanks everyone, some great feedback! I will get me some strapping tape today and give it a crack.  Strasburg sock is a bit exy so I will go with the taping and exercises for a couple of weeks and go the sock then if no improvement. 

Eccentric Calf Loading Protocol.

3x a week or even second day. Religiously.

'Jog' below pain, do not antagonise it either during training, or getting up for a piss at night, etc. and hit the protocol.

Commonly marketed for Achilles Tendonopathy.

Edited by MJK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MJK said:

'Jog' below pain, do not antagonise it either during training, or getting up for a piss at night, etc. and hit the protocol.

Thanks, after a bit of googling to find out what that actually meant I found the following article

Plantar fasciitis – important new research by Michael Rathleff - is that what you mean?

It looks like calf raisers, along with all the other stuff is is beneficial, but I am sure I wont be entering the marathon this year :(

2 hours ago, Toolish said:

My wife has had PF for a couple of years and sought treatment just before the COVID issues.  Taping causes her issues with rash so I will look into retention tape.

Initially physio taping was with Rock tape then we tried Sports tape both gave issues.  

I have issues with most sports tapes as well as the under tapes. There is one tape I have used though through a physio which seemed to not cause issues. I'll see if I can find the brand.

45 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Thanks, after a bit of googling to find out what that actually meant I found the following article

Plantar fasciitis – important new research by Michael Rathleff - is that what you mean?

It looks like calf raisers, along with all the other stuff is is beneficial, but I am sure I wont be entering the marathon this year :(

Yes, bent knee and straight knee, progressing to weighted (backpack, or 5-15kg weight plate in your hand).

Apart from calf strength, I believe the protocol also strengthens/stretches the foot muscles.

Rolling it, rolling it on ice, or ice in general did nothing but kill pain for me. That form of stretching versus the above was nothing but an aggravator.

Heat helped...it's a region notorious for poor blood flow, so I focused on getting blood in, not out.

While it's in an aggravated state and you must do everything to calm that.

Including supportive shoes/sandles by the bed for first thing in the morning or when you get up to visit the bathroom.

The first steps out of bed after sleeping with the toes pointed/calf shortened are literally a massive step on the back foot at the start of each day, as they lead to micro-trauma that sets the day off in the wrong direction.

You need to eradicate this. Or at least I did.

No barefoot on hard surfaces, and especially hard, cold surfaces, either for me.

Edited by MJK

Rolling my foot on a frozen water bottle and taping the foot were short term fixes for me.

Longer term one leg calf raises and orthotics from a sports podiatrist fixed the problem for me.

Dont go back to running too early, as the PF will flair back up.

If you are training for an event deep water running can help you maintain some run fitness. It is also good mental training as you have to be mentally tough to compete such a boring activity!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Rolling my foot on a frozen water bottle and taping the foot were short term fixes for me.

Longer term one leg calf raises and orthotics from a sports podiatrist fixed the problem for me.

Dont go back to running too early, as the PF will flair back up.

If you are training for an event deep water running can help you maintain some run fitness. It is also good mental training as you have to be mentally tough to compete such a boring activity!

This.

If it's fired up, you need to settle it. You can't keep upsetting it with training and expect it to get better.

For me that meant avoiding ALL fast running, just jogging at whatever 'kept me below pain'.

Stopped stretching everything....especially the calves.

Unloading it at every opportunity, by not walking barefoot, and supporting it with my run shoe orthotics in everything, and during the night if I had to get up/first thing in the morning.

Eccentric calf work, and heat.

I had mine for a very long time, then I developed AT as well.

When I intro'd the eccentric calf loading protocol for the AT, and stoping any other forms of stretching, is when I finally started to get on top of the PF.

I reiterate, don't make it unhappy through aggravating training paces or forms. For many, that may mean jogging very, very slowly, like 9:00/km pace (I have rehabbed calf tears, etc. with many km's at such a pace), avoiding ANY form of incline, running soft surface and staying OFF the ball of the foot.

Similar to the iced water bottle one - I've found rolling the foot over a golf ball helped - and is pretty easy to do whilst sitting at your desk... Good luck - it's a pain - literally and figuratively!!!

some good advice above. (sports physio opinion), there is evidence supporting:

• heavy strength program (especially calf)
  • footwear selection
  • pain contingent exercise (mild pain during ok, needs to be no worse after)

Evidence for stretching, massage, needling, injections etc for long term results is pretty poor. Taping can be good short-medium term

Mixed evidence on shockwave therapy. I would not use this as a sole treatment

Treatment overlaps with achilles tendinopathy as noted above. Principles are very similar. 

I found rolling did nothing at all.  I also don't recommend stopping running altogether as you will deload other tissues and may well injure other things on your return to running, but 100% agree with no fast stuff.  Just easy running.  And try not to run first thing - run when it is warmed up and not hurting.

The article you have found is from 2014 which would now be considered old.  They now recommend that you don't go below the level of your forefoot as it stretches the fascia too much - i.e. don't do eccentric loading (well not at first anyway - according to my pod).  So stand on the floor, stick a rolled up towel towel (or a fasciitis fighter - exxy, but worth it imo) under your toes (to raise the toes) and do 3 x 10 reps on each leg of 3 seconds up, hold for 1 second, 3 seconds down.  Then in 3 weeks do the same holding 5kg, 3 weeks later do 4 x 8 but holding 10kg etc etc etc

Edit:  Or listen to a physio or pod

Edited by SomeTri
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MJK said:

Yes, bent knee and straight knee, progressing to weighted (backpack, or 5-15kg weight plate in your hand).

Apart from calf strength, I believe the protocol also strengthens/stretches the foot muscles.

Rolling it, rolling it on ice, or ice in general did nothing but kill pain for me. That form of stretching versus the above was nothing but an aggravator.

Heat helped...it's a region notorious for poor blood flow, so I focused on getting blood in, not out.

While it's in an aggravated state and you must do everything to calm that.

Including supportive shoes/sandles by the bed for first thing in the morning or when you get up to visit the bathroom.

The first steps out of bed after sleeping with the toes pointed/calf shortened are literally a massive step on the back foot at the start of each day, as they lead to micro-trauma that sets the day off in the wrong direction.

You need to eradicate this. Or at least I did.

No barefoot on hard surfaces, and especially hard, cold surfaces, either for me.

This. I iced mine for 6 months with no improvement. Cleared it up within several weeks once I started mobility exercises to get blood flow to the area. Like MJK says, hard to get blood flow to the area. You need blood flow down there to promote the healing process. Flexion/plantar flexion exercises several times a day and warmth (not cold) will get blood moving into the foot.

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 2

I got it in my right foot (I think it was right) after wearing Altra zero drop shoes for about a year.  Went to physio for about a month, and then she asked me again what does I was wearing, and which ones I used to wear, which were ASICS 2070.  She told me to go back to wearing the 2070's, but wear them all day every day.  About a month later and pretty much all gone and never came back.

11 hours ago, MJK said:

Fascitis fighter best way to attack it.  Places foot better loading position for the PF 

Thanks everyone - I did the calf loading exercises yesterday as well as a bit of stretching on the whole leg chain - glutes, hammys, calves - and then got taped up as per the video above.  I did a walk this morning and it's looking great  no increase in pain levels following the exercise as per usual) so I will keep it up and try a light slow jog on Friday and see how it goes.

Don't rush back to running until you're sure the inflammation in the PF has reduced significantly. You'll get there with all the mobility exercises you're doing.