Sign in to follow this  
Bored@work

Zwift Training Programs

Has anyone else used the Zwift training plans? What results have you achieved?

I’m currently doing the 12 week FTP builder. Start with a FTP of 274. 
I’ve just started week 7 & Feeling stronger. I have only missed a two events but I have done a few road rides & bunch rides on Zwift which was always going to be my goal.

Anyone want to guess my FTP after 12 weeks.

286W.

You will start the FTP (20 min?) test full of strength and enthusiasm. At 6 min that 315W you are holding is nothing for you. Visions of increasing in the back end and the delight of telling your mates of a 300W FTP enter your mind. 8 min - oh f#ck, this is staring to hurt. I knew I should have calibrated the KICKR, something must be wrong with it. Nah - stay strong you’ve got this. 10 min - nah, I really blew it. Went out way to hard. A couple of 30 sec standing out of the saddles should do the tick. Watts drop to 290W. I knew I was too fatigued. 15 min - the frequency of the standing efforts increases. You satisfy yourself that the 30 sec of 10-15W increases will offset the 275W you can now hold. 18 min - The positive mind comes back. I’m sure I held 315w to 12 min and if I can finish strong a +350w-maybe my 300 W FTP will be there. While never reaching the 350W ambition, by some miracle the watts increase for last 120 seconds. Congratulations - a new FTP 286w. Which of course will be a major disappointment for the next 30 minutes as your mind had already accepted the 300W FTP at 6 min! 

• Haha 5

I'll play, doing the ramp test and hitting all the training rides I reckon you'll get 300

1 hour ago, Limited said:

I'll play, doing the ramp test and hitting all the training rides I reckon you'll get 300

❤️ 

An ftp of 300 would be bragging rights by itself. No need to even do events. 

I'm very interested to see how it goes at the end of 12 weeks! You are doing well to keep it up in covid and winter. I can feel my FTP going down daily 😫 

Will your donut consumption be remaining the same as baseline or going up? I'd say if you do 12 weeks of focused training and gain weight your FTP could explode but your cycling may not get any better...

• Haha 2

Been over a year since I did a ramp test but at the time I had an FTP of 267 but somehow managed to fail the ramp test at 275. 😚

As the moderator I think you will get to 345!

Sucking sound effects 

I'd love to have a go at a training plan, but just can't make that sort of volume work. It'd be handy to scale them to 'days per week' so I could get it done,  it obviously then people would be up in arms that the program didn't work for them.

On a related unrelated notes, the new update for EOM May has a Ramp Test Lite that starts at 50W and steps up by 10W, rather than starting at 100W and going up by 20W. Much more friendly for lighter cyclists, amateurs and some females. My wife did the traditional one a few weeks ago and got pretty discouraged when the on-screen text was telling her that it should be still comfortable as she was close to topping out. 

I haven’t tried the plans but want to give the 4 week FTP booster a go. Good job committing to the 12 weeks!

i think we need to know starting weight as well, then at the end FTP with weight.

i reckon 305 watts at the end...good luck!

I think you'll go over 300 for your FTP after 12 weeks.

Although, I personally don't think the training plans are very good. Mostly, I agree with this guy. 

However, I haven't done the FTP builder. 

My FTP has gone from 233 to 273 in the space of the 2 month lockdown - mostly by just doing lots of zwift and an online race per week. Have been testing via the longer test. 

33 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I think you'll go over 300 for your FTP after 12 weeks.

Although, I personally don't think the training plans are very good. Mostly, I agree with this guy. 

However, I haven't done the FTP builder. 

My FTP has gone from 233 to 273 in the space of the 2 month lockdown - mostly by just doing lots of zwift and an online race per week. Have been testing via the longer test. 

Its 15 minutes is there a summary and who is he?

4 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Its 15 minutes is there a summary and who is he?

I made it to 11 min before I stopped It

- programs do t have enough recovery

- don’t take into account long weekend rides

- the time of each targeted zone is too long or not long enough depending on the zone

- it’s not person specific (age, family life etc) 

- not structured to get the right results.

Im sure he could do all that for u for a set fee. 

I think he’s missed the point. They are a service provided in the weekly subscription fee & designed for the masses. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I made it to 11 min before I stopped It

- programs do t have enough recovery

- don’t take into account long weekend rides

- the time of each targeted zone is too long or not long enough depending on the zone

- it’s not person specific (age, family life etc) 

- not structured to get the right results.

Im sure he could do all that for u for a set fee. 

I think he’s missed the point. They are a service provided in the weekly subscription fee & designed for the masses. 

Figured it would be something like that.

i did one of the short FTP raising programs it was great.

The only problem is if you overstate your FTP 😪 at the start. Erg then crushed me.

Only issue for tri types is the FTP tends to be higher that the ability to do over FTP intervals which is not a problem for proper cyclists.

most of the workouts are written by people who know what they are doing

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Figured it would be something like that.

i did one of the short FTP raising programs it was great.

The only problem is if you overstate your FTP 😪 at the start. Erg then crushed me.

Only issue for tri types is the FTP tends to be higher that the ability to do over FTP intervals which is not a problem for proper cyclists.

most of the workouts are written by people who know what they are doing

Tonight’s 90min session crushed me. 

Last few big days before I shut it down. Taper & then FTP test time. 
I will give the 300 a good crack. I have to get a roadie back on the trainer. 
Did the first ftp on a roadie with 172.5m cranks. I sold that one & have been doing the work outs on a TT bike. New roadies have disc breaks so I need to set the kickr up to take disc frames. 

Im feeling stronger on the bike. Weight is down & cadence is up. I still don’t have the smoothest pedal stroke (hence why I was asking about oval chain rings) 

two more hard training sessions on tired legs to go.

I did the FTP test this weekend......

I tried it yesterday on my TT bike(I sold the roadie I did the original test on) 

I couldn’t get my head into it & didn’t feel like I could get the power down. 

270watts 4 watts below my last attempt

I cracked the shits & went for a ride on the road. Had a couple of cracks at a KOM & got equal first both times....

went & watched CX racing all day today & decided to put the new roadie on the kikr & have another crack.

Felt a lot  better & managed to get 274....the exact number I started on.

I had a bike fit done on the roadie on Friday & they dropped my seat 1.5cm & moved me forward on the seat. So it’s a totally different position. 
I’ll ride the roadie for a couple of weeks & then give it another go. 

I have lost 3kg since doing the program & honestly feel a lot stronger. My cadence has picked up a lot & I’m glad I did it.  

I will give the 4 week program a crack next time. 

11 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I did the FTP test this weekend......

I tried it yesterday on my TT bike(I sold the roadie I did the original test on) 

I couldn’t get my head into it & didn’t feel like I could get the power down. 

270watts 4 watts below my last attempt

I cracked the shits & went for a ride on the road. Had a couple of cracks at a KOM & got equal first both times....

went & watched CX racing all day today & decided to put the new roadie on the kikr & have another crack.

Felt a lot  better & managed to get 274....the exact number I started on.

I had a bike fit done on the roadie on Friday & they dropped my seat 1.5cm & moved me forward on the seat. So it’s a totally different position. 
I’ll ride the roadie for a couple of weeks & then give it another go. 

I have lost 3kg since doing the program & honestly feel a lot stronger. My cadence has picked up a lot & I’m glad I did it.  

I will give the 4 week program a crack next time. 

Hmm sounds like its worth taking a day or two off an come back with clear head and do the test again. We have all been there and it's amazing how well it works out when you come back.

What test did you do?

14 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Hmm sounds like its worth taking a day or two off an come back with clear head and do the test again. We have all been there and it's amazing how well it works out when you come back.

What test did you do?

Did the ramp test. Same test as last time.

i can feel the difference in bike position in my body right now. My hip flexors & glute muscles are feeling it now as I lay on the couch. 

19 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Did a solid ride on Zwift today 

257 avg watts

157 avg heart rate 

for 55min

I might give the 20min ftp a crack instead of the ramp test.

When in lockdown found the 20 minute and 1 hour sessions good, set it on erg so you don't have to deal with the variations in the course.