Sign in to follow this  
Toolish

Bluetooth Headphones - Switching devices

Sort of tri related but not really.

Is there an easy way to switch which device bluetooth headphones are paired to?

I have a set of JBL Endurace Dives that I use when running.  These are paired to my iphone for music or podcasts.

When I run on the treadmill I want to be able to switch to the ipad.  It seems the only way to do it is to turn bluetooth off on my phone otherwise I can't seem to get the headphones to  search for another device.

Is this the solution or am I missing something?

It will depend on the headphones themselves.  My Nuraphone headphones were a bit like that, but they got a firmware update that allowed fast switching between devices.  Now if I'm paired to my phone and want to switch to my tablet, I just open Bluetooth settings in my tablet and select the headphones from the list of previously paired devices and it switches to them (I'm in Android, I can only assume it works the same on iOS).  So it may not be a problem with your phone and tablet, but with how your headphones work.  

There are headphones or there now days that can be connected to two phones at the same time, and even take calls from both phones at the same time.

I have Bose Soundsports 

The right earphone has a button for accepting calls/changing songs/volume

The left earphone has a button solely for bluetooth. If I hold it down for 2 seconds it disconnects from the one I'm using and starts searching for another connection. 

*Note: It has to already have been paired once to the *new* connection, so it knows what it's looking for. It basically runs through it's "saved" connections until it finds something on and nearby. 

The Bose are quite smart and they save them in order of what you used, so you'll always have your top 2 in order and it doesn't take long. 

3 hours ago, Toolish said:

Sort of tri related but not really.

Is there an easy way to switch which device bluetooth headphones are paired to?

I have a set of JBL Endurace Dives that I use when running.  These are paired to my iphone for music or podcasts.

When I run on the treadmill I want to be able to switch to the ipad.  It seems the only way to do it is to turn bluetooth off on my phone otherwise I can't seem to get the headphones to  search for another device.

Is this the solution or am I missing something?

Does it show up in the list of blue tooth devices in your iPad settings.  Normally you should just be able to choose connect   
I have Tarah pros and they are paired to both my Apple Watch and iPhone.  I don’t ever have to reconnect.  Unless possibly your iPad has too many blue tooth devices connected.  Not sure if there may be a limit.