ComfortablyNumb

Winter/ Covid Swimming

Found a spot in a pool and we're going for a swim today. I am really strangely looking forward to it. I hope I remember how it's done.

• Haha 2

I was the same Katz, I figured it out. I made the most out of the limited time and just swam for 45mins straight. The 1 hour booking allows for 5mins entry, 45mins swim, 10mins out of the centre.

It was tough at Balmoral this morning. Cool, rainy and a bit choppy. It is going to be long hard winter if pools don't open soon in the North West of Sydney

5 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

It was tough at Balmoral this morning. Cool, rainy and a bit choppy. It is going to be long hard winter if pools don't open soon in the North West of Sydney

And I thought I was the crazy twin!!!!

5 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

They won't - Waves was closing at the end of summer for refurb, and it ended up closing early (and work has already started I think). All of Blacktown and Penrith Councils seasonal pools have closed for winter. This leaves their indoor pools, and as far as I know closed to the public until further notice, probably stage 3 I guess. Although if you are in a squad you can get access to some indoor pools if the owner has opened it for that, 1 person per lane. Epping is open now.

If a pool complex has 2 pools, is it allowed twice as many people, or is the limit "per pool centre"? And if allowed more, and the limit is 1 or 3 per lane, can you move the barrier to the middle of the 50m pool and turn it into 2 x 10 lanes?

The one we went to just now has 20 in the indoor pool and 20 in the outdoor pool. And then also 20 in the group fitness room.

I am pleased to announce my swimming has not been affected by a lack of swimming over the last few months.

• Like 1

And yes, they split the outdoor 50m pool into two halves (25m). Not sure how many in each lane though. We were inside in the 25m pool which they had made double lane width and had up to 4 in each 'lane'.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If a pool complex has 2 pools, is it allowed twice as many people, or is the limit "per pool centre"? And if allowed more, and the limit is 1 or 3 per lane, can you move the barrier to the middle of the 50m pool and turn it into 2 x 10 lanes?

First swim tomorrow at Albany creek.  Had to book for 45 minutes.  I usually struggle to last that long but will make an effort.  

• Like 1

Bribie is like a pool. Maybe just a bit cooler.

IMG_20200524_193232.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Bribie is like a pool. Maybe just a bit cooler.

IMG_20200524_193232.jpg

Is that to the south of the main beach, toward Skirmish Point? Great area there for swimming. 

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Is that to the south of the main beach, toward Skirmish Point? Great area there for swimming. 

Just about 500m south of lifesavers. Our place is 2mins walk from the beach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

How many laps did you do?

Getting in twice a day at the moment. In the morning before I start work, just do about 600-800m after an early ride or run. Then run across on my lunch break and do about 1km. It's going to really suck going back on site to work.

• Like 2

My swim buddy bailed on me yesterday, luckily I have another swim buddy who's always up for it. And this one actually did 2km happily ☺ - less chitchat at the poles means it takes longer to feel the cold 

Screenshot_20200526-065411.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, -H- said:

My swim buddy bailed on me yesterday, luckily I have another swim buddy who's always up for it. And this one actually did 2km happily ☺ - less chitchat at the poles means it takes longer to feel the cold 

Screenshot_20200526-065411.png

The question I'd like to ask is - what are you using to get such an accurate GPS reading?

This is "kayak-level" accuracy for me! 

Garmin 735, it's great!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, -H- said:

Garmin 735, it's great!

Agreed. When I did laps at Enoggera they overlaid each other really well.

Swam in the bay at lunchtime today. Disappointingly murky, when it should have been better than yesterday. Officially cold, too - I think it's under 13 now.

On the bright side, managed to spot a few dolphins playing about 200m off shore.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Swam in the bay at lunchtime today. Disappointingly murky, when it should have been better than yesterday. Officially cold, too - I think it's under 13 now.

On the bright side, managed to spot a few dolphins playing about 200m off shore.

It was so clear at Frankston yesterday, a nice surprise!  No dolphins though 

Clem Jones Centre here in Carina, Brisbane have backflipped and are opening their pool for free. However it's unheated and the temp is below 20deg. Hours are 6am-4pm during the week only.

Edited by BNothling
Added opening hours
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

FFS....Harold Holt 50m outdoor is shut until summer for renovation.

Anything on Ashburton or Oakleigh? (Oakleigh Pools was my summer home as a kid)

Was looking to do a few swim events & the tri at the Master Games in Alice in Oct.  Could be ugly if I can't get any regular swimming done till maybe Aug/Sept?

Have been heading out fishing weekly around Inverell/Bingara.  Might have to start taking the wettie to swim in the Gwydir River, but damn it is cold, down to 10 deg 😨

The swim course at Port is still nice to swim in, getting a couple of swims each week. Should be good all winter I think, ready for September.

47 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Anything on Ashburton or Oakleigh? (Oakleigh Pools was my summer home as a kid)

Haven't heard, but Prahran is opening June 1st.

• Like 1

PARC in Franga is opening 22 June so that's my incentive to swim in the bay through until the solstice (Somerville is opening 1 June but I'm pretending I didn't hear that)

Swim the Gold Coast has been cancelled, so there goes the motivation to swim across winter! 

I relented & bought some cold water swim gear today. Neoprene cap, socks & gloves.

This week is the first one where I've felt significantly cold on the feet & head.

• Like 1

Swam today, I didn't think it was much colder than last week - I'm now confident I can keep going until the solstice.  Mind you I was only in for 20 minutes because my friends are sooks haha

I wore booties for the first time. My face was cold. I did about 2kms. That was enough. This is going to be a long winter if the pools near me don't open soon

2 hours ago, -H- said:

Swam today, I didn't think it was much colder than last week - I'm now confident I can keep going until the solstice.  Mind you I was only in for 20 minutes because my friends are sooks haha

I felt the same way a couple years ago (admittedly it is a lot warmer up here), but once used to it I kept going. I swam right through the winter including a couple swims at Brighton in July & August. They were, shall we say, brisk, but so glad I did it. If you're going to swim till late June you may as well swim till September.

14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I felt the same way a couple years ago (admittedly it is a lot warmer up here), but once used to it I kept going. I swam right through the winter including a couple swims at Brighton in July & August. They were, shall we say, brisk, but so glad I did it. If you're going to swim till late June you may as well swim till September.

Yeah, I'm hoping to go right through if i can. At least once a week in the bay, maybe more depending on how the body copes with getting back into chlorine.

Clem Jones here in Brisbane announced yesterday that as of Monday they're heating the pool to 27 deg and extending the hours to be open weekends, but with a limit of 20 people in the pool at any one time. 

Our pool re-opened this week.  20 people total, 3 per lane.  Booking system that opens the slot up 48 hours before the session.  1 hour slot with 15 minutes between sessions.  3 staff.  Not sure how sustainable the model is.

I went Monday after work with my daughter.  There were 18 people total there, but 11 were part of squad.  Going this afternoon at a non-squad time so will be interesting to see what sort of numbers they get.

18 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Our pool re-opened this week.  20 people total, 3 per lane.  Booking system that opens the slot up 48 hours before the session.  1 hour slot with 15 minutes between sessions.  3 staff.  Not sure how sustainable the model is.

Our local pool would be wrapped to get 20 people at any time.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Our local pool would be wrapped to get 20 people at any time.

Lap swimming I agree, but normally our pool has learn to swim classes happening and people going for a social play in the water rather than swimming.  Usually numbers are lower in winter but there are people there.

2 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Lap swimming I agree, but normally our pool has learn to swim classes happening and people going for a social play in the water rather than swimming.  Usually numbers are lower in winter but there are people there.

I just checked the restrictions on our local one (it's only a 25m pool with 9 lanes). 9 people only at a time & have to book prior for 30 minute or 1hr blocks. 1 person per lane & no social swimming.

Another Swim done.  Me, my daughter, one other guy swimming laps and one person doing water rehab.  Feels bizarre to be honest.  2 staff on pool deck and one at reception!

Got my 2km in though so I am happy!

Edited by Toolish
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Did another bay swim today, neoprene cap & socks make a huge difference. 

Are you going to keep going? I might join you if you want company

These pools that you are now using.  Are they indoor or outdoor?

We only have indoor options here over winter, and I'm not sure if they will open soon or not.

24 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

We only have indoor options here over winter, and I'm not sure if they will open soon or not.

Mine is indoor.  The same facility has an outdoor pool but that does not open through winter so it is indoor only currently.

At the two different pools I've been to, we have outdoor and indoor options. The pool which has an outdoor option stays open all winter. 

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Most around here are outdoor. The ones that also have an indoor option have them set to about 30 degrees for therapy & learn to swim.

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Outdoor. During a normal winter I have limited indoor options anyway, as Olympic Park seems to always have their main pool unavailable, and the training pool is full of dickheads playing in the lap lanes. Now I know I can brave the cold getting in and out I'll go outdoor for winter from now on.

15 hours ago, JeffS said:

Are you going to keep going? I might join you if you want company

Hey mate,

Send me an SMS, am hoping to go at least once a week.

Just a public service announcement... if anyone is swimming in the bay in Melbourne, I highly recommend grabbing some of these.. It has made a big difference to me this week, makes it so much easier to stay in longer.

https://www.oceansuits.com.au/shop-online/Swim-Cap-5-mm-p201725002

They also do neoprene socks, which should come up under your wetsuit, so they'll stay on easily.