FatPom

Strava segment features gone for free users

Hmm a bunch of people struggling to make money trying to charge for their point of difference which I get. They are all at risk of becoming juiced up training logs.

TP once you get over all the reports and TSS is just a web log

Strava without segments same with collaboration.

Virtual training platforms all coming to a smash as well

TR now can do everything they can on Zwift without the simulation. Rouvy offers real world courses with a trrible simulation.

I’ve always said they give away too much data like this for free. 

id never pay as its not Data I want whereas I do pay for TrainingPeaks.  

reading dcrainmakers review makes my head hurt.  Man he is smart.  

4 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

TR now can do everything they can on Zwift without the simulation.

Yeah, but the simulation is precisely why Zwift (in my opinion) is a far superior offering. Zwift has to sort out its training options and it will smash TR. 

3 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Yeah, but the simulation is precisely why Zwift (in my opinion) is a far superior offering. Zwift has to sort out its training options and it will smash TR. 

Or the other way to look at it is zwift can do everything TR can with added simulation and interaction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I didn't even know people used TR still! How do you mean sort out it's training options? With my coaches last year I cutomised all my indoor sessions for Zwift, plus there are sites where you can pick and choose from a whole bunch of training sessions, download them and they'll be linked to your Zwift workouts. 

• Like 1

Doesn't matter, Durianrider has them all anyway!

I have never paid for Strava, I use it to see what friends (and acquantances) are doing training wise and give encouragement and ask details of what they are training for etc.  I train alone generally so I don't get a chance to catch up about this otherwise.

I like the matched runs feature which is going, but that is not worth paying for.

I pay for Training Peaks and at times I question that as I don't really use it to plan training, just to look back at what I have done.

The only advantage of Trainerroad over zwift is your pc or device doesn’t have to be as powerful to run the graphics.  

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

The only advantage of Trainerroad over zwift is your pc or device doesn’t have to be as powerful to run the graphics.  

TR you can see your average power/cadence/HR etc during an interval. this must be so easy for Zwift to do but they still wont do it. 

I still think that TR holds me at target power better than Zwift does but I am not sure how or why that would be the case...

26 minutes ago, pieman said:

TR you can see your average power/cadence/HR etc during an interval. this must be so easy for Zwift to do but they still wont do it. 

I still think that TR holds me at target power better than Zwift does but I am not sure how or why that would be the case...

It is bizarre why Zwift won't add additional data, lap times etc. I've been using Zwift run for almost 2 years and it's only recently they changed it from km/hr to pace.

4 minutes ago, zed said:

It is bizarre why Zwift won't add additional data, lap times etc. I've been using Zwift run for almost 2 years and it's only recently they changed it from km/hr to pace.

Yeah you should be able to pretty much choose what your UI looks like, like setting up your data fields on a garmin...

same with being completely logged out after a workout whcih then takes me another 10 minute sto log on and start up again.

having to log in and see which routes you have or havent done.. 

they dont seem to be at all interested in fixing any of these as they have been around for years...

Back to Strava, the leaderboards were pretty useless anyway. Full of people doing it in cars or waiting for days of massive tail winds. 

I’d occasionally look at the current days leaderboard but won’t miss it and given I pay for training peaks I won’t be paying for Strava. Good luck to them though. It’s a tough market

2 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Back to Strava, the leaderboards were pretty useless anyway. Full of people doing it in cars or waiting for days of massive tail winds. 

I’d occasionally look at the current days leaderboard but won’t miss it and given I pay for training peaks I won’t be paying for Strava. Good luck to them though. It’s a tough market

I think I will end up paying for it. I'm tipping most ppl who forget to pause their Garmins are not going to pay for the app. 

I use tailwinds, ceramic bearings & any advantage I can get to get that damm KOM back. 

I also use the leaderboard to gauge how I'm going against other guys who I race against. 

8 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

I used to look at some of them in the dam with my swimming. It was pretty pointless actually trying to top a leaderboard though. Most of the sub 1km segments were "swimming" at sub 40sec/100m, and there was a 4km section that was done in 35 minutes.

There's even a popular 420m segment that has a women's CR of 31sec.

I regularly refer to segments, not because I am chasing KOMs, but it gives me a good reference of where I was at for that particular ride. For instance, if I feel good for hour 2, I can go back and check the segments in that section see how I stack up.

They have segments/leaderboards for swimming?

I would have thought that would be highly prone to error given that most watches seem to have a lot of issues with trackign swims in generaly anyway. 

51 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I used to look at some of them in the dam with my swimming. It was pretty pointless actually trying to top a leaderboard though. Most of the sub 1km segments were "swimming" at sub 40sec/100m, and there was a 4km section that was done in 35 minutes.

Yeah was just looking at one this morning from a swim I did yesterday.
200m segment - 30second record, and the entire top 15 is >40 seconds. 
When you click on their workouts where it was set it's 1.5km / 54mins with the GPS going all over the land and clearly erring 

I pay and will continue to pay. I am also not above flagging a ride if they clearly have forgotten to turn off their computer or similar. 

• Like 1

I don’t pay. I’ll continue to not pay. When/if it becomes completely meaningless, I could just use Garmin Connect.  Segments are interesting, like “Oh, I haven’t run that way in years” or “Segment PB 2012” kinda thing. 

On 19/05/2020 at 11:11 AM, ScubaSteve said:

Lost a run QOM this morning, but she only ran 7km over her session. Mine was 15km so I would think she should beat me! I didn't even know I had it till I lost it 🤣

On 19/05/2020 at 11:23 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You can report the dodgie ones

17 hours ago, Tyno said:

I don’t pay. I’ll continue to not pay. When/if it becomes completely meaningless, I could just use Garmin Connect.  Segments are interesting, like “Oh, I haven’t run that way in years” or “Segment PB 2012” kinda thing. 

This is me