Sign in to follow this  
Melt

New Hawaii Dates and Options

If Feb can't go ahead, then it's very likely there won't be many qualifying events up to that point either, so there should be room to slot those that have selected February into the October race.

Brownlee has qualified hasn't he?  Assuming he is still gonna try for Tokyo?  With Hawaii originally being after Olympics, he might have done both.  Will he do Feb Kona and still be trying to make Olympics a few months later?

18 minutes ago, goughy said:

Brownlee has qualified hasn't he?  Assuming he is still gonna try for Tokyo?  With Hawaii originally being after Olympics, he might have done both.  Will he do Feb Kona and still be trying to make Olympics a few months later?

Yep. Busso. 

Given NY marathon is already cancelled and that was Nov, I reckon its looking increasingly unlikely that Kona will go ahead, even as a US (World) Championships. 

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

Given NY marathon is already cancelled and that was Nov, I reckon its looking increasingly unlikely that Kona will go ahead, even as a US (World) Championships. 

Yup I agree. It's hard to get a grasp on how bad things are overseas, some media outlets are glowingly positive, others are grim. I think a journo from the NYT described the virus situation in the US as out of control. 

20 minutes ago, zed said:

I think a journo from the NYT described the virus situation in the US as out of control. 

I think that's an understatement. Maybe if they reduce the testing, the number of cases will reduce ? (oops, I think this is the wrong thread 😆)

FM

Currently Hawaii has a 14 day quarantine for new arrivals. So a Kona trip will require 2 weeks quarantine in Hawaii and 2 weeks back in Australia. Of course Hawaii could change policy and follow the rest of the US, remove restrictions and allow the virus to run rampant.

Plus, you have to stay at a resort/Hotel for quarantine - no Air BNB or similar and no Uber type transport for you.

Triathlon still on the not allowed list for Hawaii county.

http://records.hawaiicounty.gov/weblink/DocView.aspx?dbid=1&id=105129&cr=1

The move to a Negative test 72 hours before travel might open it up a bit?

Edited by Tyno

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

While still only small numbers compared to other states, the recent trend must be worrying for Hawaiians.

image.png.e19348558b80268868e19f74ab84c6f8.png

Although it’s one of the least COVID effected US states, being an island state I thought Hawaii may have done better than they have so far. I guess being the US if they shut the islands totally off too many constitutional rights would have been violated.
Their death toll is just a little lower than New Zealand’s but their population is only about 1.70 million inc tourism visitors.

Edited by Mike Del

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Still tipping Ironman NZ 2021 will be the first Ironman back 

What about Busso?

I would expect borders will at least be partially open by December. If not, it would probably still be viable as a WA only event.

Racing has totally returned to normal here. I'll even be doing 10km with MAWA (Masters' Athletics) tomorrow. And that's an organisation which has us not so much racing in age groups, but more like covid-risk demographics.  :wheelchair: