Sign in to follow this  
Melt

New Hawaii Dates and Options

Pretty good communication and options from Ironman:

‘I hope this note finds you and your `ohana healthy in these unprecedented times.

Based on the current Hawaiian government policies and international border restrictions in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i originally scheduled for October 10, 2020 will be postponed to February 6, 2021.

The decision was made after careful consideration with our local partners and authorities to assess the feasibility of hosting the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship this October in accordance with the recommendations on mass gatherings and border and travel restrictions, as well as athlete qualification opportunities and other issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic beyond our control. Based on the information we have to date coupled with our mission to host a truly competitive world championship and establish a timeline that gives our athletes and the community as much preparation time as possible, the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship cannot proceed as originally planned.

All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN World Championship will have their race registration automatically moved to this new date. If you are unable to race on February 6, 2021, we have provided additional options. All options are listed below.

1. Remain in 2020 edition of IRONMAN World Championship: February 6, 2021

2. Free deferral to 2021 edition of IRONMAN World Championship: October 9, 2021

3. Free transfer to a 2020 IRONMAN event
(Pending availability and border restrictions)’

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

looks like u missed option 4 . A full refund.  

Minus Active fee of course.

• Haha 1

I was invited back to consider these new dates. Originally to compete as Legacy in 2021, then got bumped down to 2022 because they said there won't be any legacy in 2021 and now invited back again. I reckon I'll go with October 2021. February still seems pretty early and plus, I have a family wedding to attend.

Feb would be good for Aussies, get to train through summer for once and be well heat acclimated. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roxii said:

Feb would be good for Aussies, get to train through summer for once and be well heat acclimated. 

Unless international travel is still banned

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

Yeah, of course, I just meant Feb in general would be a good date for Aussies. 

I wonder if my 860th fastest IM time in the world this year will get me an invite to Kona Feb 2021, can't see may qualifying races happening between now and end of year.

5 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I'm hearing maybe, not sure if a ban, but perhaps reconsider travel that is not necessary.

I'm not sure what USAT are doing, but I would assume they would have an equally (same as TA) long list of things event organisers need to do in order to hold a race safely, some which are quite costly (think cleaning), or hard to administer (distancing at recovery, transition, mount/dismount, checkin, race start).

Take option 2. Also, who would take option 3? (It's KONA, unless you have been there lots)

Edited by MissJess

Yep, I reckon I'll take option 2.

I really like the thought of having the hard training in summer for option 1 (and maybe even a wetsuit swim with colder water) but doubt we'll be flying internationally without quarantine by then.

Option 2 makes for a more relaxed next 12 months without any pressure to race or get super fit, maybe just do some fun events knowing focused training doesn't need to start again until at least April next year.

• Like 1

Is a 4 month delay - Oct to Feb - really going to make any difference to a) whether people can travel internationally, and b) whether it is actually safe to hold a mass participation event??

6 minutes ago, CEM said:

Is a 4 month delay - Oct to Feb - really going to make any difference to a) whether people can travel internationally, and b) whether it is actually safe to hold a mass participation event??

Possibly but who (as opposed to WHO!)  really knows!  I guess they have to either announce that or announced it is cancelled.  This one is easier to revise down the track!

7 hours ago, Bored@work said:

looks like u missed option 4 . A full refund.  

Dont be silly....... noone would rever want a full refend. Are they stupid!!!

• Like 1

Feb would be perfect if I was going to do it. 
Fly over for Christmas & stay till after the race. My daughters school goes back just after the race. 
She would only miss a few days of school. 

Called it.  
mind you when you do the sport you know a lot more about it than a person that hasn’t done a race in 10 years or even more than someone that has never done a race.  

On 31/03/2020 at 7:20 PM, Peter said:

That's a possibility.  But I'll stick with no race.

Wouldn't be surprised if they did a Feb and Oct 2021.

I'd do that and make the Feb one "Ironman Revisited"   Given it has run in Feb before

2 hours ago, Prince2 said:

So there would be less spots available for qualifying for the 2021 October race 

Haven't they got 100s of legacy spots that they will use up instead of people who have KQ in a race?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Called it.  
mind you when you do the sport you know a lot more about it than a person that hasn’t done a race in 10 years or even more than someone that has never done a race.  

Nice sly dig mate. 
Between that and calling me gutless on the other thread you are showing your true colours again. 
Classy as always. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, zed said:

Haven't they got 100s of legacy spots that they will use up instead of people who have KQ in a race?

no, I mean, if they let some qualifiers for this years race (which is in Feb now) transfer to next years October race, there may be less spots available for the Oct race I assume.

its so confusing....

They also may as well try and do the 70.3 worlds in Taupo in March be run with the Ironman. 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Nice sly dig mate. 
Between that and calling me gutless on the other thread you are showing your true colours again. 
Classy as always. 

LOL 😂.  
I also thought you quit being an admin. 

The big question with the February date is.... is this date also a little ambitious given the state of the US and other countries.

And no, I would doubt they would run a 70.3 World Championship race in conjunction with a normal Ironman even. But this is a strange world we now live!

6 hours ago, roxii said:

Nice sly dig mate. 
Classy as always. 

Come on Roxii, don't feed the troll! As tempting as it may be, 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Prince said:

no, I mean, if they let some qualifiers for this years race (which is in Feb now) transfer to next years October race, there may be less spots available for the Oct race I assume.

its so confusing....

They also may as well try and do the 70.3 worlds in Taupo in March be run with the Ironman. 

Yeah I don't know. I'm not sure how they can run a world champs after so few qualifying races and with very few countries able to send competitors. No Australians and Kwis will be going.

26 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah I don't know. I'm not sure how they can run a world champs after so few qualifying races and with very few countries able to send competitors. No Australians and Kwis will be going.

pro only

IM Brasil was bumped again to 8 November, and they said there will be slots for "IRONMAN World Championship 2021 – Kona, Hawaii". Number of slots to be determined later. Be interesting to see if they stick to that, or if they change the slots to the February race.

5 hours ago, zed said:

Yeah I don't know. I'm not sure how they can run a world champs after so few qualifying races

Stay tuned for IronMan VR - with qualifying slots to Kona.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

how will they do the run, they are going to standardise on rouvy which is a piece of crap for biking, but run?

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

how will they do the run, they are going to standardise on rouvy which is a piece of crap for biking, but run?

Anthing is possible.

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yep.  Hooking up an e bike on the trainer as we speak.  😄

I also wonder if they would know if I used in line skates for the run? 

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they do a lottery for people that have done the VR events. 

ie you finish 6 of them, you get 6 chances.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TThomo said:

Maybe they can roll down some spots to races already Done .

Please.......

They will open up extra community spots. 3 x the entry fee with “portions” of the entry fee going to charities affected by COVID.

Maybe after next year they will continue to run 2 Kona's annually. Meaning heaps more spots.

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Maybe after next year they will continue to run 2 Kona's annually. Meaning heaps more spots.

That’s a great idea. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Will they add a bike handling test to registration, given all these people who never ride a bike off a trainer or will they be forced to have training wheels on their TT bikes ? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

It'll depend on what the community lets them do. But yeah, they could run the "Ironman World Championship" branded race in October for fast, poor athletes, and bring back the "Ironman Hawaii" brand in February for slow, rich ones. Maybe move the swim and T1/T2 out of Kailua-Kona to reduce disruption. So long as the ride is still out to Hawi and the run goes through the Energy Lab and finishes on Alii Drive, it's Ironman Hawaii.

They might even try something similar this year. I don't think they've chucked everything in the dumpster yet. If restrictions are loosened to the point that they could put on an event of sufficiently profitable size, I think they will. Maybe something like Ironman Revisited. Big if, though.

I’ve been saying for years they should do this.  

then they could have a real world championships in October.  

No gifted spots.  Only way in is qualifying.

go one step further and have man race sat.  Women race Sunday 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I’ve been saying for years they should do this.  

then they could have a real world championships in October.  

No gifted spots.  Only way in is qualifying.

go one step further and have man race sat.  Women race Sunday 

I aree. 

Found this on Facebook.

cant verify it but it’s interesting 

Have you qualified for KONA and can't decide whether to go for the deferred February 2021 or October 2021 dates? Fingers crossed the event goes ahead but you might want to consider this... if February is your choice and it gets cancelled IRONMAN have now confirmed (in an email exchange with one of our Kona qualified Coffee Club members) that you won't be offered a slot to the October edition of Kona 2021. You will need to requalify.

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Found this on Facebook.

Have you qualified for KONA and can't decide whether to go for the deferred February 2021 or October 2021 dates? Fingers crossed the event goes ahead but you might want to consider this... if February is your choice and it gets cancelled IRONMAN have now confirmed (in an email exchange with one of our Kona qualified Coffee Club members) that you won't be offered a slot to the October edition of Kona 2021. You will need to requalify.

Ouch 

14 hours ago, roxii said:

Found this on Facebook.

Yep its total BS. 

pay $1700 aussie for the feb race.  It doesn’t go ahead.  

you lose your $1700 and also don’t race. 

Doesn't say you don't get your money back.....hold the horses. Give them a break....it is interesting times and they are trying to do what they can at this point.

• Like 1

I selected October 2021anyway, so it's a non issue for me.

But without seeing the actual email wording to the coffee club member, I suspect it's a misinterpretation of the chose Feb or Oct option and that your decision cannot be  reversed voluntarily. Happy to be corrected if the actual email wording is shared.