nms

Triathlon Australia Ride Series - Zwift

Hi everyone. Long time listener- first time caller....

Apologies if this was posted already. There is a Triathlon Australia Ride Series that starts tomorrow on Zwift. A bunch ride at 2-2.5w/kg, followed by an optional race lap against some of the stars; Kate Bevilaqua, Emma Jackson, Ryan Bailie, Luke Bell and Jake Birtwhistle. 

Hope to see a few trannies there.

316df832889ce7390dbe5068f61c0cc9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm planning on doing it. Though, I'm also planning on drinking a bit of sparkling tonight so we'll see how that pans out. 

Hi guys. Just bumping this back up. Ride 2 is on this weekend - Sunday 0930 EST.

A great, cruisy bunch-ride on Zwift (2 w/kg) with lots of banter and fun. Some free giveaways too. You can come and ride with some big names and (if you feel like testing yourself) try and sit on them for the mini-ace lap at the very end.

Craig 'Crowie' Alexander

Marcel Walkington

Brandon Copeland

Jonathon Goerlach

Charlotte McShane

Aaron Royle.

Also coming is Michelle Cooper, president of TA. I believe she's taking questions on the ride, which is being live-streamed on TA's Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/TriathlonAustralia

99117131_2966707330042985_3025716739619946496_o.png

• Like 2

Given how crap the weather in Perth is looking like being this Sunday, I might jump on to this.

15 hours ago, nms said:

Hi guys. Just bumping this back up. Ride 2 is on this weekend - Sunday 0930 EST.

A great, cruisy bunch-ride on Zwift (2 w/kg) with lots of banter and fun. Some free giveaways too. You can come and ride with some big names and (if you feel like testing yourself) try and sit on them for the mini-ace lap at the very end.

Craig 'Crowie' Alexander

Marcel Walkington

Brandon Copeland

Jonathon Goerlach

Charlotte McShane

Aaron Royle.

Also coming is Michelle Cooper, president of TA. I believe she's taking questions on the ride, which is being live-streamed on TA's Youtube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/TriathlonAustralia

99117131_2966707330042985_3025716739619946496_o.png

No AP?, PJ? 

2 hours ago, Toolish said:

So who is @nms?

Are you affiliated with TA?

Also, how long does the ride go for?

No, not employed by TA. Zwifter (as you can see in profile). Just thought people might like to know about it!

It's 3 laps of Volcano flat at 2.0 w/kg. Optional test-your-legs lap 3 with the pros. About an hour.

Edited by nms
  • Like 1

double post - whoops

Edited by nms
double post

5 minutes ago, nms said:

Whoops - triple now.. LOL

Edited by nms
triple post

I am going to guess, NMS is a QLD based triathlon coach who may know how to fly planes and might be leading a ride soon.

Ermegerd. That was fun. Ride leader did a great job.

Dodgy internet connectivity saw me get dropped off the back twice. Caught up the first time, no chance the second time.

Reckon I might be back in a fortnight for the next one.

Hi Katz. Thanks for coming. Sorry to hear you had dropouts but great detective work. 

Great to see so many come out to keep the community alive while we live through this crazy era. Nice to see a few big names ride in support too. Testament to their character - especially Crowie after racing last night.

Heres the live feed link from the tube;

Next one on 7th June at 0930. Hope to see some trannies there. Let us know and ill give you a shout-out!

Edited by nms

8 hours ago, Katz said:

Ermegerd. That was fun. Ride leader did a great job.

Dodgy internet connectivity saw me get dropped off the back twice. Caught up the first time, no chance the second time.

Reckon I might be back in a fortnight for the next one.

Losing your internet shouldn't see your ride affected, once you have started it carries on doesn't it?

Edited by FatPom

15 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Losing your internet shouldn't see your ride affected, once you have started it carries on doesn't it?

Yeah, it carried on, but while you're disconnected you seem to lose your place. Like your watts drop right off. I went from around the 70th position to about 150 the first time (having maintained the same wattage while it was disconnecting and reconnecting) but managed to climb back up the ranks, and then the second time, it was just before the last lap started, (which was a race lap) and I had dropped right off the back again when it came back properly and I couldn't get back to the rest of the pack even though I was still sitting on average 2.5w and the latte pack was sitting on 2. 

Ah I see. Been a long time since I've done a bunch ride.

I did PRL FULL yesterday and got lapped by Mark Cavendish, which was awesome and depressing all at the same time. 😄

Edited by FatPom
  • Haha 2

On 24/05/2020 at 7:18 PM, Katz said:

Yeah, it carried on, but while you're disconnected you seem to lose your place. Like your watts drop right off. I went from around the 70th position to about 150 the first time (having maintained the same wattage while it was disconnecting and reconnecting) but managed to climb back up the ranks, and then the second time, it was just before the last lap started, (which was a race lap) and I had dropped right off the back again when it came back properly and I couldn't get back to the rest of the pack even though I was still sitting on average 2.5w and the latte pack was sitting on 2. 

Same thing happened to me in a race last week.  When your connection drops out, zwift takes away the bunch around you, and it takes the bunch draft effect with it

I was only offline for about ten seconds, but that was enough for the front pack to put 5sec on me.  I tried to find some extra wattage from somewhere to get back across, but B grade don't f*ck around

Very annoying...

On 24/05/2020 at 7:18 PM, Katz said:

Hi Katz.

There's an easy explanation for the difficulty getting back on. We have the double-draft enabled for our series. It gives 2 x the normal draft coefficient when in a pack. It helps keep bunches together, though as you experienced, makes it very difficult to get back on.

Always shout-out if you've fallen off the back (happens often with dropouts). The rides I lead will slow if possible or at least send back a rider to 'draft' you back to the bunch. I don't like leaving people behind! See you next ride.

Edited by nms
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, nms said:

Hi Katz.

There's an easy explanation for the difficulty getting back on. We have the double-draft enabled for our series. It gives 2 x the normal draft coefficient when in a pack. It helps keep bunches together, though as you experienced, makes it very difficult to get back on.

Always shout-out if you've fallen off the back (happens often with dropouts). The rides I lead will slow if possible or at least send back a rider to 'draft' you back to the bunch. I don't like leaving people behind! See you next ride.

Great, good to know. Thanks nms.

Hi Trannies.

Planning out your weekend? Looking for something fun to do? Look no further!

Triathlon Australia’s Zwift Ride Series continues this Sunday 7th June at 0930 AEST with Ride 3. It’s a friendly and inclusive ride where everyone and anyone are welcome to join.

Come join me the as we roll around 3 laps of Volcano Flat Route. I'll ride the Yellow beacon at 2-2.5 w/kg, while our relaxed Red Beacon will sit at 1.5 w/kg for a more-leisurely pace.

As always, the third lap is an optional leg-tester, where you can chose to race against some of the fastest names on Zwift as they try to take possession of the coveted 'Peanut Butter and Nutella Donut' Trophy. 

If you don't want to race, simply roll home with the bacons and keep the chat going. 

This week we are lucky to be joined by 4 of our sport’s Australian heroes; professional Triathletes Emma Jeffcoat, Charlotte McShane, Jonathon Goerlach, Marcel Walkington.

Helping me lead our ride is Triathlon Australia’s president, the lovely Michelle Cooper also Orange-based Triathlon coach (and not so lovely), the charming Iain Jones.

The event will be live-streamed on youtube by Triathlon’s answer to Bill Lawry and Tony Greig, TSA Executive Director Jesse Mortensen and the man with all the stats in his head, the clean-shaven Jason Delfos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TriathlonAustralia

Hope to see you there. Please come and help us break our record of 350 riders!

https://zwift.com/events/view/829893

#gozwift #zwift #TRIAus #peanutandnutelladonut #mmmmmdonuts

TA 4 pro pic.png

Peanut Butter Nutella Trophy.jpg

• Like 2

Damn it. Have been really looking forward to this ride this week. But totally stuffed it for myself. Here's the story....

Yesterday, Stikman took my bike off the trainer and cleaned about 6 years (not really) of gunk off the drivetrain. Without me asking him to do it. (I know.......amazing 😍). This morning before he went out on his ride with the club, he put my bike back on the kickr. Now I know when he puts it on, he rarely does the stick thingy (skewer) up tight enough and it wobbles off when it's not tight. Now I know this, but I failed to check. I jumped on the kickr about 10 seconds before the ride started (yes, yes, I know). About 10 more seconds into the ride I realised how loose it was and jumped off and tightened it up. The next 12 minutes were pure, pure hell as I chased the pack. HR at max the whole time. Wanted to vomit. Caught up and sat at the back of the bunch for about 5 mins then slowly faded off the back and could not manage a single trick to get back on. So, at 20kms, the nausea and misery got the better of me and I quit. :(

Damn it. I'd love to say "lesson learned', but I know it hasn't been learned at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Katz said:

But totally stuffed it for myself.

That reads to me like Stikman sabotaged you. 
Totally his fault. 

24 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Totally his fault. 

Agreed. You need a new bike.

And Stickman should buy it. :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Totally his fault. 

Rough end of the stick?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Katz said:

...does the stick thingy (skewer) up tight enough and it wobbles off when it's not tight...

I'm guilty of the same thing. Chucking the bike on there 15 minutes before a race start, quick warm up and away I go. Throw a sprint in (I race points races where sprint time counts towards final result) and the bike comes loose. It's scary stuff.

If having issues, just fix bike and log back into Zwift. Most events have 30 mins late join; which puts you near the leader with a pedal-assist feature!

Im expecting the series to become a regular ride, say every fortnight. The live streaming might happen for special events as it is a big undertaking!

I'm hoping to get some special guest ride leaders onboard to chat on-screen. Who would you like to see? Rather than just elites, what about some icons of the sport?

Edited by nms

13 minutes ago, nms said:

If having issues, just fix bike and log back into Zwift. Most events have 30 mins late join; which puts you near the leader with a pedal-assist feature!

If nothing else, I am learning a lot about how Zwift works. :)

I think it's a great idea to keep going with. It's a great initiative to keep TA members engaged at a sport level. We are increasingly trying these kinds of things at a club level and it's working reasonably well.

I'll be back. Probably not this weekend as I am committed to riding with the club group, but later events if they keep running.

8 hours ago, nms said:

Rather than just elites, what about some icons of the sport?

You mean like Katz?

Someone else might need to do the chatting for her :D

• Haha 1

Hi Trannies.

Planning your weekend rides? Don't forget this one!

Sunday 0930 AEST. Cruisy Bunch ride @ 2.0-2.5 w/kg with optional 'leg-tester' up Keith Hill KOM for the virtual 'Peanut Butter and Nutella Trophy'. 

The event will be live-streamed by Jesse and Jason, who will be working hard commentating while riding themselves!

To watch; https://www.youtube.com/user/TriathlonAustralia/featured

This time we are joined by Aussie Champ Jake Birtwhistle and paratriathlete legend Jonathon Goerlach as well as special guest, my long-time friend Mark Emmo Emerton from Elite Energy.

Absolutely anyone and everyone is welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing all our regulars as well as some new names.

Sign-on via Zwift Companion. https://zwift.com/events/view/901713

#TRIAus #gozwift #rideon #peanutbutterandnutelladonuts #mmmmm

**sorry for the lame Goodies theme - copyright blocked the real one!

Trophy Ride 2.jpg

103453571_10160067584658782_8513057145387675173_n.jpg

• Like 2

First one I've joined today, well organised good spirited main bunch.

If there are plans to continue will def ride again. Nice one. 

• Like 3