Toolish

Planning Long bike rides

I am not sure if this belongs here or in the Sandbox so feel free to move it.

The whole Covid isolation thing has helped me realize how much fear has stopped me doing a lot of things in the past and now I want to actually do them.

One thing I have thought of doing is riding from Mildura to Melbourne non-stop (about 550km) but I honestly have no idea on the logistics of doing this.

Is it as simple as take some food, water and a credit card and start riding?  Anything I need to consider outside of fitness.  

Thinking about making it a fund raising thing too, if that changes anything.

Have you ever done any Audax rides?  Maybe link in to your local Audax crew - they do long rides like this all the time & will have lots of tips (both generic & for your local area).  Plus you can do some 'shorter' (ie 200/300/400) club rides with them to trial your plans/set-up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In these corona virus restricted travel times, I thought this was going to be about sitting on a wind trainer for 6 hours.

550km in one go sounds nuts to me but good luck.

1 hour ago, Toolish said:

Is it as simple as take some food, water and a credit card and start riding? 

I've done 300km like that with 3 mates, but couldn't have done further. A support vehicle would make a big difference.

With the north westerly blowing at 60km hr today 

get out there now. You’ll be here by 9pm. 

• Like 1

We did 300k on the weekend with just a credit card and a tail wind for the second half.  I would definitely go for the tail wind and maybe some Paw Paw cream.  Good luck it will be awesome.  Don't think about it to much and just go and do it.  Bahahahahaha

21 hours ago, Abby said:

Have you ever done any Audax rides?  Maybe link in to your local Audax crew - they do long rides like this all the time & will have lots of tips (both generic & for your local area).  Plus you can do some 'shorter' (ie 200/300/400) club rides with them to trial your plans/set-up.

Nearesy Audax clubs seem to be about 300km away, a few of the local crew do centuries reasonably frequently but not much longer than that.

20 hours ago, Gundy said:

In these corona virus restricted travel times, I thought this was going to be about sitting on a wind trainer for 6 hours.

550km in one go sounds nuts to me but good luck.

Have been looking at some of the long Zwift rides people do and it blows me away.  I find it hard to go easy enough for my fitness on the trainer, always end up smashing myself!

17 hours ago, Abby said:

Yeah, saw that article when I started researching the idea.  Looks like a good experience overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toolish said:

Nearesy Audax clubs seem to be about 300km away, a few of the local crew do centuries reasonably frequently but not much longer than that.

There is one club per state, but they have rides that cover all over the state.  It might be worth shooting them a message and letting them know what you're planning.  They will almost certainly have done rides that cover large portions of the Mildura to Melbourne route.  Importantly, they'll be able to give you tips on routing that avoids higher traffic roads (and where that's unavoidable), great spots for rest stops, etc.

They always seem to know where the hills are too...  They'll tell you where they are because they think you'll want them - but you can use that knowledge to avoid them... *lol*  

I'm still a novice with the Qld Audax club (still building up to my first 200).  But the more experienced have said that a 600km ride is easier than a 400km, as you generally have a sleep stop somewhere for a few hours to break it up.  So keep that in mind too... Good luck!! 🙂

11 hours ago, Toolish said:

Have been looking at some of the long Zwift rides people do and it blows me away.  I find it hard to go easy enough for my fitness on the trainer, always end up smashing myself!

In my limited experience.... 

Pacing is ego and challenge limited. 

If you are scared of it you'll go easy enough. 

Or are 

You are disciplined enough you'll pace accordingly. 

As Ex said, a support vehicle would be great. Safer to. Acting like a tail end gunner against the trucks in the night. ✌️👍

10 hours ago, Abby said:

I'm still a novice with the Qld Audax club (still building up to my first 200).

If Abby recruits just 5 members, he gets a free tyre repair kit!

At this stage solo, unsupported.

That plan may change once I realise how silly that idea is!

I used to alot of that sort of riding when i lived in the states. 

Some here, but not mildura to melbourne. 

Assuming you've driven it - maybe on a motorbike? Its not the most interesting terrain. Flat, windy, lots of traffic=cars/trucks, shit roads, long way between water

Looking at direct? Maybe take port to port route for some? Or Murray to Moyne and then along the coast or such? 

I think some kids did it didnt they, from a high school or such around here? I'll see if I can find the article. 

Edited by Turts

2 hours ago, Turts said:

I used to alot of that sort of ruding whenbi lived in the states. 

So.e here, but not mildura to melboir.e. 

Assuming you've driven it - maybe on a motorbike? Its not the most interesting terrain. Flat, windy, lots of traffic=cars/trucks, shit roads, long way between water

Looking at direct? Maybe take port to port route for some? Or Murray to Moyne and then along the coast or such? 

I think some kids did it didnt they, from a high school or such around here? I'll see if I can find the article. 

Yeah, a group of kids did it from Coomealla I think.

My mother passed away 3 years ago from cancer after getting pretty average medical attention in Mildura where she kept getting told to go home when she should have been admitted.

My dad ended up driving her direct to the Alfred where she was admitted directly and put on a drip and told that within a day or two she would have died due to low magnesium and other issues.

I would like to ride from the hospital here to the Alfred essentially via the route they took (through Bendigo) to symbolize the issues associated with medical care in regional areas and also raise some money for the Alfred.

Edited by Toolish
  • Like 3

Suggest choose an interesting route. Maybe have a look at the Race to Rock 2018 (I  think) which went Melbourne->Mildura via Echuca and then along the river. Stay in some motels - is that allowed now? - getting too damn cold to camp out.  The Audax routes tend to be traffic light

Trucks on the highways, would worry me.  Was coming back from Mildura last year and couldnt believe one semi which pulled out to overtake a car doing a couple km/h slower than the speed limit. Nearly ran the car off the road.

I’ve done the ride from Melbourne to Mildura and return on my motorbike several times in the last three years. I don’t think I’d ride that road on a push bike. Too many crazy truckies and wandering caravaners.