Sign in to follow this  
CEM

Kristian Blummenfelt - 3k track TT - 8:11

That is flying....I would be bloody stoked to be able to cover 2km in that time!!! 

Quick. But then I think Brownlee ran the same pace in the London Olympics.

1 hour ago, zed said:

Quick. But then I think Brownlee ran the same pace in the London Olympics.

Not likely. Even on a course that was fractionally short.

Big difference at their level between 2:43/km and 2:55/km+ (29:07 for 10K).

1 hour ago, MJK said:

Not likely. Even on a course that was fractionally short.

Big difference at their level between 2:43/km and 2:55/km+ (29:07 for 10K).

Well he did walk the last 50m.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zed said:

Lol.

He's not running 2:43/km pace for a legit 10K off the bike...or even an Open 10K.

That's a 27:09 10K.

Edited by MJK

Its more impressive when you see what the pair of them did in their warm up prior to running the 3000m.

• Like 2

On 06/05/2020 at 9:36 PM, BarryBevan said:

Wow how does that compare with say nationally ranked 5000 m runners

A nationally ranked 5000m runner would be running a 3000m somewhere around the mid 7 min. 

5 hours ago, Trier said:

A nationally ranked 5000m runner would be running a 3000m somewhere around the mid 7 min. 

the paces still amaze me, I like that. I have hazy memories of my one all out 3 min flat K I think I was dying and it was one

And he's a solid build, doesn't look like a whippet runner

Those two lads do some epic training days. Seen one where they rode solid for 8-10 hours, maybe more, all around Norway. Seem  like down to earth fellas and not afraid to share sessions on strava. 

They also appear to have a coach who works on their core, think he is a an olympic gymnast because they do some innovative stuff.  

I tipped one of the two of them to win the 70.3 worlds this year. Both have pedigree in ITU races, Eden especially impressed me with his 10km run ability off the bike to win a race. 

Blummenfelt is very aggressive and seems to rely on a break away on the bike and then a gutsy run. Huge VO2 max by all accounts. 

Edited by Crowies crushed nuts

On 07/05/2020 at 11:16 AM, zed said:

On 07/05/2020 at 11:34 AM, MJK said:

Lol.

He's not running 2:43/km pace for a legit 10K off the bike...or even an Open 10K.

That's a 27:09 10K.

That London Olympic running course was very twisty and mostly on gravel. Makes the pace that they were running at even more impressive. 

On 07/05/2020 at 9:41 PM, Trier said:

Craig Mottram ran 7.32 - an Oceanic and Australian Record - in 2006. The same year as he ran 3.33 for 1500M and medaled in the 5000M at the Commonwealth Games.

8 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Craig Mottram ran 7.32 - an Oceanic and Australian Record - in 2006. The same year as he ran 3.33 for 1500M and medaled in the 5000M at the Commonwealth Games.

Yes, thats almost exactly a mid 7's. low 8's are expected for the junior ranked male athletes. 

2 hours ago, Trier said:

Yes, thats almost exactly a mid 7's. low 8's are expected for the junior ranked male athletes. 

The most up to date rankings on the Athletics Australia website (year to Dec 2019) would see a 8.07 ranked in the top 20. There are no seperate junior rankings. The top ranked Australian was Stewart McSweyn with a 7.38.

When Mottram ran that 7.32 he was a little bit better than just a nationally ranked athlete. In 2006 he was in the top half dozen middle distance runners in the world. 

It’s a fine point, but I think a 7.50-7.55 is about the benchmark for a top ten ranked Aussie middle distance runner. Having a quick look at the under 20 rankings for 5000M I reckon you might be right - somewhere between 8.10 and 8.20 might see a junior ranked in the top 10 in Australia (although the best U20 time for 5000M was over 14 minutes last year. That’s probably a bit soft).

Edited by Andrew #1

A mates son Olie hoare ran a 7.48 for an indoor 3000m not sure what that translates to on a outdoor track ?

He is at Wisconsin uni think he is only 20 years old now could be wrong but he is bloody quick ! 
He use to swim as well and I’m pretty sure he went 4.2x for the 400 free at a swim meet when he was at trinity.

I had Miles ringing me tracking him down a few years ago to get him to commit to tris but obviously his passion is running .

My opinion at the time was why bother running and probably never beating the Kenya or Africans etc when he could have a shot at being the best triathlete in the world .

anyway I love seeing his progression his killing it over there 👍

• Like 1

Just saw this on Oliver Hoare, the IAAF has his track PB for 3000m at 8.09.93  he would have been 18 when ran this, and 5000m at 14.47.93 ran a couple of years later so around 20. Looks a lot faster over the 1500 as his times at longer haven't progressed at all, actually gone backwards.  Obviously he is now concentrating on those shorter distances now. 

His times are good, but not a lot different to guys we already have racing for Aus who when they were young can already add the bike to their resume. I looked up a few of our fast guys and Birtwhistle ran 8.09 at 17 and 14.19 also at 17. He also was already one of Aus best junior triathletes at this stage, training tri not just a track runner. Hauser ran a 14.25 as an 18 yr old also as a triathlete. Willian also ran a 14.42 that same year. Oli prob wouldn't have made an Aus games team as a triathlete anyway, as much chance as a 1500 runner in athletics, Just has to knock 7 seconds off his time to be up there with our best. McSweyn runs a 13.31, but I remember him as a junior running well behind Birtwhistle who used to win. Actually from looking now Mcsweyn times were pretty average until the year he turned 21, then massive gains. 

BTW...I saw a couple of months ago that NZ athlete Hayden Wilde ran 13:51 for 5000m track race...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CEM said:

BTW...I saw a couple of months ago that NZ athlete Hayden Wilde ran 13:51 for 5000m track race...

I believe there would be most of those top 15 guys who would run similar times. Murray just posted he ran a 13.37 (maybe had a fair bit of downhill ; ) ) and he hasn't even been one of the top runners last year or so.

On 20/05/2020 at 2:25 PM, CEM said:

Hayden just ran a 13:18. Absolutely smoking!!!

45 minutes ago, DiaboloACT said:

Hayden just ran a 13:18. Absolutely smoking!!!

Track? That must be close to a NZ Olympic ‘A’ qualifier. That is serious running for anybody’s book. 

• Like 1

Richard Murray has just thrown down a 7.58min 3km 

• Like 1

Note these times were not run on a track, with proper timing devices nor on certified accurately distanced courses. 

Hayden 13.51 was on a track in a high quality race, that is the only time I believe. Smack talk hype is all that's going on here with all the other stuff. 

On 29/05/2020 at 3:07 PM, Andrew #1 said:

Track? That must be close to a NZ Olympic ‘A’ qualifier. That is serious running for anybody’s book. 

Sorry, was only 13.21 🙂

On a 1200m loop (or something like that).